Question about alternator(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Karolek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
I'll soon be ordering a 3500 with max tow abilities to pull my 5th wheel toy hauler. As I play with the configurator (on Costco's site, RAM doesn't have the 2020 choices programmed yet) I see three choices with respect to the alternator.

default, 220 amps
dual, total 380 amps
dual, total 440 amps

I don't think I'll be adding a lot of electric accessories, now plow gear, etc. I don't think I plan to charge my RV's batteries with the truck (that's what solar is for). The options to enhance alternator capability aren't that expensive, but I'm wondering, why would I? Will the default single 220 amp alternator keep the truck's batteries charged and power all of the goodies in the truck itself???

Thanks!

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Rams configurator isnt live but if you edit the URL from 2019 to 2020 you can build your HD! I've heard having two alternators is unnecessary unless you are really going to be using the truck for upfitting and charging separate systems.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Unless you plan on running some really high current draw items on your truck like a winch, snowplow, massive DC to AC inverters, etc then the high output dual alternator set up isn't needed.
Most of the time a second battery is usually more beneficial than a higher capacity alternator. Some winch manufacturers even recommend having a second (or third) battery instead of installing higher output alternator.

OP
OP
Steve Karolek

Steve Karolek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
Unless you plan on running some really high current draw items on your truck like a winch, snowplow, massive DC to AC inverters, etc then the high output dual alternator set up isn't needed.
Most of the time a second battery is usually more beneficial than a higher capacity alternator. Some winch manufacturers even recommend having a second (or third) battery instead of installing higher output alternator.

Thank you, that's how I was feeling but with no prior experience with this vehicle, I appreciate your input.