Question about Cummins engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bassmedic46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i’m in between Ram trucks and debating on buying a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton with the Cummins. It would be older looking for recommendations on what is a good year to look for and would like locking hubs. How is the performance of a Cummins engine? I drove tractor trailer with a Cummins engine and when I got to a hill I had to drop several gears.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The newest dodge/ram truck with factory locking hubs would be a '93 model. You can convert the newer trucks to manual hubs, but it's expensive and you don't really gain much. The cummins is a great engine overall, but certain years were more reliable than others

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
There are gambles with any used truck... One with a Cummins is no different. Any idea how old you are looking to go?

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

OP
OP
Bassmedic46

Bassmedic46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are gambles with any used truck... One with a Cummins is no different. Any idea how old you are looking to go?

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel

Not sure how old, Going to depend on budget. I do like a older truck. Not sure what would be a good year to get.

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I got a lower mileage 06 megacab 1 ton (86k miles) just for the fact it was the last year before emissions. No dpf, no def, no tpms, ECT ECT. Just less I'd have to remove and tune out. It also doesn't hurt you can get them clean for sub $30k too. Truck prices, and especially diesels, have gotten out of hand. I'm not sure what year is most desirable to other people but that was the one most desirable to me because it checked all the boxes.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Not sure how old, Going to depend on budget. I do like a older truck. Not sure what would be a good year to get.
TBH I really can't think of any years to avoid, maybe the '07.5 (first year of DPF emissions) or '13 (first year of DEF emissions) as they had the most bugs to work out. If it's been deleted or you plan to do deletes yourself then thats really not an issue.

Personally, if I just wanted a truck to play with and tinker on I'd get a second gen. It's my favorite body style other than the 4th gens, no emissions and restore & go fast parts are readily available and fairly reasonably priced.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel

OP
OP
Bassmedic46

Bassmedic46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do like the 2nd generation. Not seeing to many for sale. Any suggestions on where are good places to look. I’ve looked on Craigslist and couldn’t find anything. Always shows me new trucks. I do like the 4th generation as well but definitely out of my price range unless I win the lottery.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I do like the 2nd generation. Not seeing to many for sale. Any suggestions on where are good places to look. I’ve looked on Craigslist and couldn’t find anything. Always shows me new trucks. I do like the 4th generation as well but definitely out of my price range unless I win the lottery.
Around here I typically see them at the little mom & pop auto sales places. eBay usually has a few on any given day too.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have a '12 CTD and it will most likely be the last truck I buy. It does have emissions crap but that's easy to remove. I'm doing a full EGR and exhaust delete. It does NOT have the cow **** tank (DEF) so I don't have to worry about that. I have a shifter on the column instead of some stupid knob and a shifter on the floor for 4x4. When I shift, it shifts. It doesn't need a bleedin' computer to out-think me on what I want to do. I am going to be installing the kit to give it locking hubs and full-float bearings instead of that #%@ unit bearing.

Everyone says the 4th Gen goes up to the 2018 models, I pretty much say it should end with the 2012 model... There were a LOT of changes in 2013 and it seems that a lot of accessory manufacturers only make things for the '13 and up. From helping friends work on their trucks, 2013 is where things started going to crap...