Question on oil life/change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I hope you’re getting on the expressway at some point and running that truck a little bit. 1 mile each way per day isn’t enough to blow all of the condensation out of the exhaust or get up to operating temperature unless you let it sit and run for a long time before you go or clean off the rotors.

That above, oh Hell yes! We used to call it "Blowing the carbon out". But seriously all the wear surfaces need to run long enough to "Normalize" at least occasionally. That'd be at least a half-hour of running down the road at highway speeds. :driver:

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Always an interesting topic of discussion. With my Durango V6 Pentastar I do full synthetic 0W-20 (it is an '18_, I do five months or 5K miles which ever comes first, religiously, period. My oil life indicator usually says it is around 65% life remaining at those reference points. Years ago I establish, thru a series of test, driving type, distances covered, etc. that this 5 and 5 is an optimum for my vehicles. Just saying......

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not getting it up to operating temps every trip is going to kill that truck quick IMH0.It kills me when the wife drives her old BMW X5 a mile into town and back everyday to run to the store.Especially when it's nasty cold out.Battery takes a beating in the cold with the short trips also.Never getting completely charged day after day will wear it down.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
oil life monitor only goes by mileage right????

No. It's based on a number of inputs to the computer, mileage being only one of them. Actually, if all other inputs indicate otherwise, the Oil Change Message will top out with a warning at 9500 miles instructing you to "change oil soon."

On my two previous 4th gens, the warning popped up at various mileage prior to 10,000. Both had the 3.92 axle.

On my 2019 (5th gen), I actually saw the warning at 9500 miles both times, but the '19 has a 3.21 axle.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029940 miles.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Not judging, I grew up broke and poor. One of the only things my dad gave me advice on, that wasn't BS, was this... You can either spend a little money to keep it up like your supposed to or you can neglect it to save a few bucks along the way. But when it goes to hell because you didn't take care of it like you knew you had to when you signed on the dotted line, don't go crying like some lil P&$$* because now you have to spend 5 times that amount to fix your own stupidity.

Go by the oil life meter and make sure you change it according to the warranty requirements so they don't have a reason to void your warranty.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Driving less miles with limited highway is actually harder on oil. 200 miles a week I would be concerned the oil is not reaching temp and not boiling out the water vapor. I would cut your interval down regardless of your oil change monitor. If manual says change at 8500, do it at 6,000. This would be considered extreme service use in my opinion. If in doubt change more often and always with a new filter. Another point because I read from another poster about going until “oil change needed” is totally corrupt. Sooner is always better. Additionally there are posters on here that say to run a lower thermostat and don’t let the engine get hot.... the oil needs to get above 212 degrees in order to boil off contamination and water. That is why the engines run hotter. Keep it stock change sooner rather than later, never go over a year no matter what.

Last edited:

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry for the late reply, the oil life indicator says 38% left, and it was last reset at the oil change 2300 miles ago. I believe they used synthetic but not sure to be honest, I usually change my own oil on past vehicles, but the last few times I had a half off coupon so like $80 for oil change & oil filter & air filter change w/tire rotation.

If money is that tight I would consider changing the oil yourself. A jug of synthetic oil from wal mart and a filter should be under $40 and if you have the proper tools a tire rotation is pretty straightforward.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Hey sorry for the newb question, I have a 2017 Ram 1500 w/Pentastar V6 which has 15K miles on it. I currently drive around 200 miles per month, my commute to work is only a mile which is a blessing! Otherwise I drive at street speeds, 25-45mph if traveling, I rarely use the highway. My oil change sticker from the dealer says to return @ 19K miles or November 2019, now it's almost March 2020 and I'm nowhere near the 19K miles.

Can I safely hold off on an oil change for a while? Money's tight right now, part of the reason I moved close to work to save.

I checked the oil, looks super clean/clear also if that helps.
my 2010 change amsoil every 2000 thats like 7 months cuz that pop can filter really doesn't go very long ! u could just change filter maybe but my oil looks dark so just do it all cuz I want 200,000 on it ! I m now using royal purple filter really is a lot better open one up wow ! mine hopping bad lifters don't take out my engine ! wish it be a free replacement not seeing dealers put a cam and lifters in them to repair it now meatal is in all the bearings when that happens !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Well it sure doesn't measure the quality of the oil. I forgot to reset the oil life indicator after an oil change, and about 2K later it showed oil life at 5%. I reset it and it went to 100%
i d never trust what it says cuz who know how well it really works ! went 2800 on a oil change was so black dirty short trips r very hard thats why the cops cars are blowing the older dodge v-8 idle so much sure overheat too !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
That above, oh Hell yes! We used to call it "Blowing the carbon out". But seriously all the wear surfaces need to run long enough to "Normalize" at least occasionally. That'd be at least a half-hour of running down the road at highway speeds. :driver:
35 minutes mine is all warmed up 195 ! california is warmer

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Full synthetic: you can go a full year or 10k. Blend: 8 months or 7500m. Regular: 6 months of 5000k. I've got 40 years of driving and over 2million miles of experience to back up the above. Now, if you've got something going on in the engine (bad rings, head gasket leak, etc.) you'll need to change more often.

RobertusvT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would definitely recommend using full synthetic and changing every 12 months/10k miles. Low mileage in the city is definitely not optimal for the oil. I personally change it sooner than that just to be safe.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
For many years now I have changed my engine oil at 5,000 mile intervals. It's just because that kind of number is one I can keep track of and I have never "lost" an engine. Many went over 200K before I sold them off, still running fine. On my new truck, I will stay the course.