Questions about a 1999 4x4 Quad cab with 360

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi,this is my first post and I joined to find out as Much as i can about a 1999 4x4 with 360 engine.
I am going to buy the truck tomorrow to use to pull a 3500 pound bumper pull camper.

I had a triple bypass in Feb and going to start relaxing a little more?
Going to use the truck for what little daily driving I do(maybe 15 Miles a day and to pull the camper about 250 Miles round trips(3 times a year or so.

The truck has 150,000 miles on it.

Is there anything about the engine or transmission (it is an Automatic)that i need to keep an eye out for After buying the truck(or for that matter what to look for before buying the truck ??

The truck looks to be in Great shape but I have not driven it yet.

Do these Year model trucks and engines and transmissions normally have a lot of problems I need to look for before buying or maintenance after buying ?

Thanks
Craig

Oh Ps the truck looks to have a factory stripe across the hood and 4x4 on the Side of the truck,I dont know what model that is?

Thanks Again

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I have a 99 4x4 318. I have mainly just done basic repairs on mine. The plenum gasket is the first thing I would check if u buy. But test drive it and see how the trans feels a lot of these trans have issues. But there is things you can do to help prolong there life

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you're mechanically inclined and don't mind doing a little bit of work, these can make great trucks. You gotta remember though, the newest one is still 15years old. With age comes failures. If the engine runs solid, I would simply look at doing the plenum but other than that there's really no recurring issues. The heads crack between the valves but they very rarely cause any drivability issues and then just misfires that you can do things to get around.

Transmissions seem to be a problem often but again there's safe guards you can do. Theres a check valve in the cooling line going TO the cooler that clogs up, good idea to delete. Also adding a larger external cooler, shift kit or at the very least a Sonnax SureCure kit to fix the defaults in the valvebody, and being religious about 30k mile fluid and filter changes with band adjustments. Sometimes electrical solenoids inside fail but they're generally a pretty easy fix.

Tryin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Check the steering system as well. Ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm, drag link, etc. These items may not be a deal breaker for you, but they might be items that need to be replaced to tighten up the steering system. And, it may be a negotiation point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Re

Well I bought the truck even though the check engine light was on as the truck seemed to run decent and shift out good.

When I got home I parked the truck and checked under it this morning and there were 3 leaks

one was where water had dripped from the ac and 2 were up front on both ends of the radiator.

I also checked the radiator fluid and it was rusty Looking when I took the cap off but where I say the leak on the drivers side was green,I think that is about where the drain is.

Am I definetly going to need a new radiator ?

Oil seemed fine with no water and trans fluid had no burnt smell to it.

I took it to Oreillys auto parts and had the check the reason the check engine light is on,
He told me it showed a Oxygen sensor but then we raised the hood and he showed me where there was a big piece of the bottom or the Plastic Air filter
Housing missing.
And the engine made a thunking sound and the engine acted like it was going to stop running.
He said that the the engine was getting to much air and trying to die.

I asked him if he had a Housing and he checked and said that they didn,t sell just the Plastic air filter housing then checked further and said that they sold a cold air kit but he would have to order it and it would be about $150.00 !!

I believe it was a Spectra and looked nothing like the way the Air filter is currently set up.

I called myself looking on the internet for just the plastic air filter housing but cant seem to find one.

Any suggestions or thoughts on these issues ??

By the way the truck did not get but about 16 MPG on the trip,this running about 68mph

Thanks
Craig

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Prob gonna need a new rad yes.

Also the air filter housing is a part that is no longer made. That "cold air intake" is a gimmicky performance piece that really doesn't do anything. In store $150 but you can find that same one on ebay for $80. Honestly that's probably your best option.

As for the 02 code, something more specific would be nice. There is 2 lists of trouble codes here in the tech section (i think, i forget which section). That'll help narrow it down. A hole in the airbox won't attribute to an 02 code because these trucks don't use a Mass AirFlow Sensor in the intake tube. Instead they use a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor mounted in the throttle body, under the air hat. This sensor measures sour going into the engine and works in conjuction with the 02 sensor to determine air/fuel ratio. Being as it's located in the throttle body and after the air box, that's unrelated.
02 sensor is more than likely related to a bit of oil burn from the plenum we mentioned earlier.

But first get us the specific code. There are 2 sensors and knowing the one throwing the code and what code it's throwing will really help a diagnosis.

As far as your fuel mileage goes, be happy. Most of us average about 10-11 even driving nice. I can sometimes manage about 14 highway doing 65 and driving nice. These are gas hogs but full of tq and work horses to the core

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Re

Well I was able to go back out in the heat with my health for a little bit and got some more information.

The Place where I saw the antifreeze is right under the Radiator drain on the driver side and the Places where I assumed was Antifreeze was in fact the transmission cooler lines(bad fittings,needs new hoses )??

I tried to drain the radiator but nothing would come out,I then added some more 50/50 antifreeze But it took only took about an ounce,
maybe its just has a TINY leak around the petcock ??

It is too hot for me to get out and drive to Oreillys again(40 mile round trip) but I will get it next week.

The Truck has 3.55 gears so that may be why I am getting 16mpg

SaxtPI2.pngYEZGRUd.png
The second pic I held the phone under to show the size of the hole !

The Temp stays under 210

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the airhat your only options are going to be junkyard or ebay.