RA1 to RA4 upgrade USB issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnb555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, wondering if someone else has had this issue? I recently did the RA1 to RA4 upgrade along with the 4sp to 7sp change as well. The install went fine and the radio and navigation work as expected but i have no USB icon in the media screen. The USB port has power and can charge my phone but it is not accessible from within the radio interface to play music files. I've disconnected the battery and also done a master reset from within the radio settings and still no change. This was purchased from Infotainment and they have had me try of few can-bus resets as well. I'm in the process of sending the unit back to them later today to be checked out and I'd figure I'd ask if anyone else had this issue???

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Hey, wondering if someone else has had this issue? I recently did the RA1 to RA4 upgrade along with the 4sp to 7sp change as well. The install went fine and the radio and navigation work as expected but i have no USB icon in the media screen. The USB port has power and can charge my phone but it is not accessible from within the radio interface to play music files. I've disconnected the battery and also done a master reset from within the radio settings and still no change. This was purchased from Infotainment and they have had me try of few can-bus resets as well. I'm in the process of sending the unit back to them later today to be checked out and I'd figure I'd ask if anyone else had this issue???
You're the second person in a few days to have issues with a radio upgrade from Infotainment specifically dealing with the media hub. I wonder what's going on over there...

What are you sending back, the radio or the media hub?

OP
OP
J

johnb555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not get the carplay option just the RA4 with navigation so I didn't get the media hub. I might be wrong but I think it's the carplay version that need the new hub. I don't think my current media hub is the issue because it's fine with the RA1 radio i had.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
This becoming a regular occurrence here. InfoT really needs to better support their customers. Or their customers need to do a better job of vetting companies they send their earned money to. Or both.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trying to remember it's been a while.is there a media icon on the ra4 is that what's not showing up.or the USB icon when you select media? I know in the bcm their is a setting for 2 usb or SD card and usb etc.but you would need alpha obd to access it.most ra4s have the SD card and usb media hub I don't know if that would make any difference.

OP
OP
J

johnb555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trying to remember it's been a while.is there a media icon on the ra4 is that what's not showing up.or the USB icon when you select media? I know in the bcm their is a setting for 2 usb or SD card and usb etc.but you would need alpha obd to access it.most ra4s have the SD card and usb media hub I don't know if that would make any difference.
i have the media icon just not the USB option when I click on it. As far as the BCM goes, I know nothing about it lol sorry. I was thinking that the USB works when i swap radios back to the RA1 so i should be ok?

OP
OP
J

johnb555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This becoming a regular occurrence here. InfoT really needs to better support their customers. Or their customers need to do a better job of vetting companies they send their earned money to. Or both.
For what it's worth, InfoT has been easy to get ahold of and are trying to help. I went this route because it was "one stop shopping" and i had everything in less than a week. I thought about going aftermarket but in the area i work at everyday it might not last long.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
One of the forum vendors here and others on this forum are the ones who pioneered this radio upgrade mod. Others followed in their footsteps and added nothing except extra costs. One only needs to source an OEM radio and the forum vendor will get with them on the exact parts they need plus extremely high quality harnesses. The forum vendor provides timely support to his customers. Unfortunately, he does not have time to provide support to the customers of those who followed in their footsteps.

This use to be a pretty economical mod since the parts yards really didn't charge more than $500 for a pristine radio. In the early days , $250 - $300 radios were pretty common to score. Those that followed started buying up all the parts yard radios and now the parts yards want nearly what a new radio costs. These factors make some folks around here reluctant to help the customers of those that followed.

OP
OP
J

johnb555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One of the forum vendors here and others on this forum are the ones who pioneered this radio upgrade mod. Others followed in their footsteps and added nothing except extra costs. One only needs to source an OEM radio and the forum vendor will get with them on the exact parts they need plus extremely high quality harnesses. The forum vendor provides timely support to his customers. Unfortunately, he does not have time to provide support to the customers of those who followed in their footsteps.

This use to be a pretty economical mod since the parts yards really didn't charge more than $500 for a pristine radio. In the early days , $250 - $300 radios were pretty common to score. Those that followed started buying up all the parts yard radios and now the parts yards want nearly what a new radio costs. These factors make some folks around here reluctant to help the customers of those that followed.
I am well aware of M2 Mods and almost went that route. I originally did this back in late December and according to his site was not taking any new orders till after the holidays. I am not asking him for any support, just asking if anyone else has had this issue. i have a Ram just like you guys and sometimes we all need to ask a few questions. If i was looking for his support i would have posted in his section but i posted here. I've been through a lot with my truck and would gladly help anyone else if could. I hope my reply doesn't sound rude in anyway, if it does i apologize.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
No one is throwing shade at you, more likely just disappointed that folks keep having issues when they go through these third party companies like Infotainment and end up with wrong parts or not good support. Someone the other day was having a problem and we figured out that Infotainment sent them a radio that didn't even come out of a Ram truck but more likely a Chrystler or Jeep (I think?). I did this upgrade using the folks on the forum and it was great, toughest part was finding a radio which I ended up lucking out and logged on when someone posted one for sale here so I kept my cost down.

OP
OP
J

johnb555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No one is throwing shade at you, more likely just disappointed that folks keep having issues when they go through these third party companies like Infotainment and end up with wrong parts or not good support. Someone the other day was having a problem and we figured out that Infotainment sent them a radio that didn't even come out of a Ram truck but more likely a Chrystler or Jeep (I think?). I did this upgrade using the folks on the forum and it was great, toughest part was finding a radio which I ended up lucking out and logged on when someone posted one for sale here so I kept my cost down.
The radio was the part that held me back. I would have loved to support another member but I didn't want to have to search for the radio and worry about the anti theft code. I'm also not saying bad about InfoT yet because they've been helpful so far. I sent the unit back for them check it out and I'll see what happens.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
The radio was the part that held me back. I would have loved to support another member but I didn't want to have to search for the radio and worry about the anti theft code. I'm also not saying bad about InfoT yet because they've been helpful so far. I sent the unit back for them check it out and I'll see what happens.

Here's a UAS radio for sale at Schram. Have to call to get price. I have used them before and their prices are pretty good.

OP
OP
J

johnb555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just giving a quick update to anyone who might have read my original post and was thinking about going the same route. As of right now I still have no radio in my truck. I was told Thursday that I was getting a replacement ASAP but today was told the end of next week. I even offered to pay freight to get it faster. I'm sure the vendor reads these forums so maybe someone will jump in with some answers as to what the issue is. Maybe I'm expecting too much? Hopefully my next update will be a happy one.

OP
OP
J

johnb555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, just a final update to my original post. I did receive a new radio and now I have a working USB port. Even though the new radio seemed fine, I was not real happy with the touch screen sensitivity. The top and middle of the screen were fine but i had to press real hard on the bottom to select anything. Rather than deal with the vendor again, i replaced my touch screen with this one from Amazon. This was real easy to replace and took less than an hour.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
InfoT doesn't really seem like a great deal. After 3 weeks of ******** around, the OP still has to fix the radio they sent him because he doesn't want to deal with them again. Now if that isn't a ringing endorsement for them, I don't know what is.

Probably could have bought a new radio from Benny at AllMoparParts, the rest of the gear from Mike and come out ahead with much better customer support.

OP
OP
J

johnb555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
InfoT doesn't really seem like a great deal. After 3 weeks of ******** around, the OP still has to fix the radio they sent him because he doesn't want to deal with them again. Now if that isn't a ringing endorsement for them, I don't know what is.

Probably could have bought a new radio from Benny at AllMoparParts, the rest of the gear from Mike and come out ahead with much better customer support.
It's hard to argue with this lol. The guys over there that I talked with were nice but in the end it left me very aggravated by the whole situation. The "one stop" shopping was the thing the got me from the beginning but ended up 2 months of frustration. The replacement radio technically did work but the touchscreen was very inconsistent. It is much better now. If anyone has any questions about this situation please ask.

Last edited: