Radiator Replacement: OEM vs Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basslee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all,

First time post, not first time RAM owner

Recently got my oil changed and the shop found a leak in my radiator. I refuse to pay the $780 they want to charge for replacement.

Went to Oreilly's website and found a decent price on a replacement Radiator. Wondering if upgrading to a performance radiator is worth the cost. Difference of Murray 2 row Heat transfer radiator for $167 vs a Frostbite brand 3 or 4 row for around $312.

Does anyone run a performance radiator? was it worth the extra cost? how difficult to install?

I don't have any performance upgrades to my truck, but keeping the engine cool is obviously high priority.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been looking around at radiators for our 2013 Jeep Wrangler.

The Wranglers have rad issues and I noticed ours is leaking from one of the side tank seams. There are many brands out there and from what I have seen so far most of them are crap. Anything made in China, scratch it off the list right away. I was even looking at known brands of full aluminum rads, the reviews are mixed at best and since they are as expensive or more expensive than OEM I am not too sure I want one of those either. Most of what I have read says the OEM's are your best bet. That is annoying to me since my OEM rad in our Jeep only has 75,000 miles on it and is failing. They sure don't build stuff like they used to.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Performance radiator. Better cooling capacity better flow too

Blue Mule

goldeneyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn/Longhorn Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
You have several choices. 1. Go to a reputable radiator shop and have your original radiator recored to a 4 core. 2. Purchase an aluminum 4 core. I would stay away from the auto parts budget radiators because of quality and perhaps cooling problems. Remember, you only get what you pay for. If it was up to me, I would probably recore. Nothing wrong with the aluminum but probably would not have the longevity of the recore...Good luck.....

Octane

Reaction score
I would still go with an aftermarket all aluminum rad over an oem aluminum/ plastic tank crap. If you get a good one which we always have they will last for years with no plastic to crack and leak.My miata and my brothers corvette runs performance all aluminum.You can pay 300 to 600+ but we like them.We do our own installs.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't think there was an all aluminum radiator available for our trucks? If so I'm definitely interested....

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
@Hemi450 can set you up with one. Matt at @moesperformance is the best Ram performance parts place on the net. Hes also a preferred vendor here and his customer service is lite years above the rest.

Blue Mule

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OEM radiators are some of the best you can get. They cooled the truck down perfectly when new, and having to replace one after 10 years is not what I would consider crap. Dealing with after market radiators is a crap shoot if they will cool sufficiently, and if they'll last long. The OEM radiator is completely proven.

Octane

Reaction score
OEM radiators are some of the best you can get. They cooled the truck down perfectly when new, and having to replace one after 10 years is not what I would consider crap. Dealing with after market radiators is a crap shoot if they will cool sufficiently, and if they'll last long. The OEM radiator is completely proven.
They do get you by....

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always been a Be Cool radiator guy myself. No idea if they make anything for these trucks though...
They should if they don't, a huge market out there.

Octane

Reaction score
They do more than that. They do exactly what they are intended to do. Cool the truck under any conditions. No new truck over heats if the system is working properly and as designed.

The stock tires "get you by".
If you're happy with it that is cool.You'll get by.lol

Octane

Reaction score
So your truck has over heated since new with the OEM radiator?
Here is the way it is trollmaster,if you like plastic crap you are free to enjoy.As you know I have not said anything about overheating.You seem to have an issue with someone that likes a product besides what the factory designs. Don't worry I'm not going to look you up and take your Plastic Fantastic away from you.....Maybe.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been looking around at radiators for our 2013 Jeep Wrangler.

The Wranglers have rad issues and I noticed ours is leaking from one of the side tank seams. There are many brands out there and from what I have seen so far most of them are crap. Anything made in China, scratch it off the list right away. I was even looking at known brands of full aluminum rads, the reviews are mixed at best and since they are as expensive or more expensive than OEM I am not too sure I want one of those either. Most of what I have read says the OEM's are your best bet. That is annoying to me since my OEM rad in our Jeep only has 75,000 miles on it and is failing. They sure don't build stuff like they used to.
My wife's Wrangler ordered two off the web and both leaked by the transmission line where it screws into the side tank. Went to my local Auto Zone store and it was almost same price. The Radiator was of good guilty in my opinion. So don't do what I did I had to put the thing in 3 times. Also I don't think it will hurt to get a little bigger size Radiator if it fits ,good for the engine

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
As I was rebuilding my 2004 Jeep from the ground up, I convinced myself to replace the original radiator due to age. It didn’t leak. Bought what I thought was a quality one from a national chain with a good warranty. I’d already done the research, and all the mass market units are Chinese.

That crap leaked on day one.

Called my local dealer and ordered an OEM rad, and returned the aftermarket one. Three years later and I the only regret I have was wasting my time installing and removing a sub par part trying to save some money.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of people have thought they were either "up grading " Wranglers, or saving money with radiators. OEM is the way to go with them. I'll admit I do have a non-OEM, but OEM style radiator in my 2000 TJ from Rock Auto that has been going strong for years.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Personal opinion: I have always believed in getting the biggest radiators and batteries that would fit in the space available. If your thermostat is working properly, you won't "over-cool" your engine and you'll have reserve volume to get you through some hard duty (speaking as an old street-racer/off-roader). Same for the battery, if your regulator is working properly, the bigger battery has more reserve available if you need it and I believe will last longer. I currently live out in the woods so the repairs and replacement parts need to be the best I can afford. The OP lives in Texas, right? It gets hot there, right? 'Nuff said?