radio not recognizing media device?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bearxfoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
when I first got my truck I had some issues with the USB port. I'd plug in my phone, load up Spotify, play a song, but it would continuously disconnect/reconnect via the USB. I chalked it up to my crappy iPhone 4S because it had a ton of other issues and once I got my 5, it went away.

Well, my USB port in my truck just died recently. Just stopped recognizing all USB devices plugged into it. Wouldn't charge them, nothing. Since it's under warranty, I brought it to the dealership and they replaced the whole USB hub no problem. I tested it and it now charges my iPhone, but does not recognize that there's any media plugged in, so I can't listen to music.

Has anybody had this issue? I have a lower trim line of the Ram; I have the express, so I don't have the fancy touch screen radio set up, I just have a normal radio with normal buttons. My USB port is located in the center console.

So anytime I search for this issue online, I only get solutions that work with the uConnect system or whatever that the higher trim lines have (the touch screen radio setup).

Any advice would be appreciated before I take it back into the dealership for more work :)

I also tried doing a search on these forums to make sure I wasn't posting a duplicate and I found nothing - so I apologize in advice if this has been brought up and a solution has been addressed.

victorsdaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bluetooth? Ive heard it plays nicer with smartphones and music streaming

OP
OP
B

bearxfoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't have bluetooth. I don't have the uConnect system. It's just a regular radio with a USB and AUX port in the center console.

mvfd474

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My aux and USB don't work took it to the dealer and they told me it's the radio waiting on uconnect to send a new radio

Molon Labe

mbrimmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i have a 14 sport and mine at first would recognize the usb or sd card, but would duplicate the songs more and more everytime i used the truck until there were like 5 copies. then it got so it wouldnt recognize anything unless i had an ipod plugged in by using the aux cable or usb cable. now it will not recognize anything but the aux cable and bluetooth. it wont do anything with an ipod plugged in or charge anything from the usb port at all. the blue lighting still lights up but nothing works at all but aux. havent gone to the dealer at all because i cant stand them haha... anyone else have this problem? or find any fixes? radio is the 8.4 with nav and the "media center" is in the center console.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had that problem, turns out it was a failing USB cable to the console. The dealer replaced the cable and not one problem since....

mbrimmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had that problem, turns out it was a failing USB cable to the console. The dealer replaced the cable and not one problem since....

thank you! was that with the sd card as well? like one cable basically runs the whole hub or something...