Not recognizing tow vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP truck doing wat it is programmed/supposed to do. Hook up, drive it, enjoy it, maintain it. If u need it logged ref trailer, carry lil mini steno book, record all and enjoy yer ride.

Heck if u that dissatisfied trade it in fer a Chevy, Ford, Titan wateva makes U happy.

Just my take and all IMHO only.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a friend with a 2024 Chevrolet 2500 HD and his truck recognizes a towed vehicle anytime he plugs in the 7 pin connector and it doesn’t require an electronic brake to activate his computer! He tows from a gooseneck hauling a mini excavator to what he calls his trash trailer (small 2 wheeled trailer without brakes and using the 4 pin to 7 pin adapter). His truck has more than 4 trailers he can preload into his system and gives him data for each trailer he selects from, like miles and fuel economy.

I also have a friend with a 2019 Ford F150 that when the 7 pin is plug in, it asks him if he is pulling a trailer, recording the miles that that truck has towed a trailer. He only has option for 1 trailer, but if I had to guess, newer models fall in line with Chevy’s system, especially for the F250s
Is there another reason as to why your not happy that your truck will not or is not showing towed miles, have you been told your not showing towing milage so your not working the engine hard enough?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a friend with a 2024 Chevrolet 2500 HD and his truck recognizes a towed vehicle anytime he plugs in the 7 pin connector and it doesn’t require an electronic brake to activate his computer! He tows from a gooseneck hauling a mini excavator to what he calls his trash trailer (small 2 wheeled trailer without brakes and using the 4 pin to 7 pin adapter). His truck has more than 4 trailers he can preload into his system and gives him data for each trailer he selects from, like miles and fuel economy.

I also have a friend with a 2019 Ford F150 that when the 7 pin is plug in, it asks him if he is pulling a trailer, recording the miles that that truck has towed a trailer. He only has option for 1 trailer, but if I had to guess, newer models fall in line with Chevy’s system, especially for the F250s

My wife had a 2019 F150. It NEVER asked if we were pulling a trailer when we plugged things into the 7 way plug, and we pulled several different trailers with it. The ONLY time anything would come up is if we hooked up something with electric brakes, otherwise we had to select that a trailer was being pulled. So that friend either has done some programming or is lying to you.

I can't speak for new GM products, but it would be rather annoying to have the towing screens activate every time something is plugged in, especially if you aren't actually towing something. I'm not even sure how they would automatically check that, unless it every so often pings all circuits on the trailer harness, which seems like a waste. I have a feeling, however, that your friend is lying when he says it always pops up, I'll bet he has to select the trailer himself every time he hooks up to something.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
What would need to be recognized? The only thing the truck cares about and can control are the electric brakes on the trailer. Everything else - surge brakes (fluid), running lights (bulbs), and the actual trailer wiring itself is on the driver. If any of that stuff is not working correctly the truck can't do anything about it and the driver has to fix it.

Of course, if you have a 5th Wheel or gooseneck trailer it will have electric brakes anyway. The only trailers that have surge brakes are bumper-pulls - boat trailer, cargo trailer, etc.

mine figures out how long the trailer is up to 30 feet. This length is figured into the "blind spot alert" so that when you are passing a vehicle it tells you when you are clear.

However, to get the truck to know how long the trailer is, once hooked up, I have to make a (almost) 90 degree turn, then it shows on the dash the total length of everything.

I don't know exactly how it does it, but, i'm assuming it has some "radar" (for lack of a better word) in the tail lights. I'm saying this because, if i'm backing out and a car is approaching like 30 feet away, it warns me with all kinds of noise.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
mine figures out how long the trailer is up to 30 feet. This length is figured into the "blind spot alert" so that when you are passing a vehicle it tells you when you are clear.

However, to get the truck to know how long the trailer is, once hooked up, I have to make a (almost) 90 degree turn, then it shows on the dash the total length of everything.

I don't know exactly how it does it, but, i'm assuming it has some "radar" (for lack of a better word) in the tail lights. I'm saying this because, if i'm backing out and a car is approaching like 30 feet away, it warns me with all kinds of noise.
I don't have blind spot alert on my truck. The only thing I have - trailer wise - is the brake controller and the 4 and 7-pin connectors. The only time it is active is when a trailer with electric brakes in connected, and then it gives me 4 trailer options to choose from:

Light Electric - Under 10,000#
Heavy Electric - Over 10,000#
Light Electric Over Hydraulic (EOH) - Under 10,000#
Heavy Electric Over Hydraulic (EOH) - Over 10,000#

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's a bass boat. What are you trying to set in the EVIC? There's nothing to set/select for a small trailer. It's not like the truck is going to drive differently based on a small 4/5 pin trailer behind it. There are no electric brakes, so nothing to set there.

I'm confused. Your truck is doing exactly what it was designed to do. Exactly what every other truck would do.

FWIW I've been towing bass boats all over the country for 25 years. Get the correct drop hitch to level the trailer, hook it up and go.
Interesting, but my truck manual says:

NOTE:
• Disconnect the trailer wiring connector from the
vehicle (or any other device plugged into vehicle’s
electrical connectors) before launching a boat into
water.
• Be sure to reconnect once clear from water area.

The only time I ever remember disconnecting my lights before backing in was way back in the day (like 20+ years ago) before they all had submersible lights. And we did it then because backing up while hitting your brakes would make the bulb hot, then it would blow out when it hit the cold water.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Interesting, but my truck manual says:

NOTE:
• Disconnect the trailer wiring connector from the
vehicle (or any other device plugged into vehicle’s
electrical connectors) before launching a boat into
water.
• Be sure to reconnect once clear from water area.

The only time I ever remember disconnecting my lights before backing in was way back in the day (like 20+ years ago) before they all had submersible lights. And we did it then because backing up while hitting your brakes would make the bulb hot, then it would blow out when it hit the cold water.
I don't recall disconnecting the plug before launching. We would get some blown lights every now and then. lol

My current boat trailer is all sealed LED.

wrench78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure I've ever heard of a system that automatically logs trailer miles. I've known people who kept a log for that reason, but manually in a book.
Yes, my 2017 1500 Laramie does that when I connect the 7way pin on my trailer. The dash will start a separate milage counter for the trailer. you can do a running total or reset after every trip.
1000158021.jpg

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, my 2017 1500 Laramie does that when I connect the 7way pin on my trailer. The dash will start a separate milage counter for the trailer. you can do a running total or reset after every trip.
View attachment 543524
How/why does your system show "Trailer Brake Not Connected" if you don't have a trailer with brakes connected? If I don't have a trailer with brakes connected - like just a regular utility trailer - my truck doesn't even know it's there. In other words, my trailer screen won't even activate unless it senses trailer brakes.

wrench78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How/why does your system show "Trailer Brake Not Connected" if you don't have a trailer with brakes connected? If I don't have a trailer with brakes connected - like just a regular utility trailer - my truck doesn't even know it's there. In other words, my trailer screen won't even activate unless it senses trailer brakes.
Not sure what to tell you on that. Maybe it's part of a package? I haven't flashed my computer at all, so I'm assuming this is stock setup.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure what to tell you on that. Maybe it's part of a package? I haven't flashed my computer at all, so I'm assuming this is stock setup.
I'll have to look at mine again. I never paid attention or scrolled to that screen unless I had a trailer with brakes attached. Any other type of trailer I just hook up, hit Tow/Haul mode, and go.

wrench78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll have to look at mine again. I never paid attention or scrolled to that screen unless I had a trailer with brakes attached. Any other type of trailer I just hook up, hit Tow/Haul mode, and go.
ya, send me a pm and let me know what you find out. I'm curious. I have only had my Ram for about 45 days. I'm still learning everything myself.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
ya, send me a pm and let me know what you find out. I'm curious. I have only had my Ram for about 45 days. I'm still learning everything myself.
I'll take a look at mine in a bit. I brought this one home on March 24th last year and I'm still finding things occasionally that are new to me. This is why I ordered the most base model I could get. The only options I added to the base truck were the brake controller, tow hooks, the 5th-wheel prep pkg, and the spray-in bedliner. I don't even have power windows, door locks, or carpeting and cloth seats. Don't need all those bells and whistles and didn't want to pay for them.

It's also the reason I don't like the big fat fob. It doesn't do anything other than lock and unlock my tailgate and set off a panic alarm. But that's another thread. :rolleyes:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK, when I scroll up or down to my 'Trailer' screen I then have 3 sub-menus left or right. A screen that lets me test the trailer lights, a screen that lets me set the type of electric brakes I have on the trailer, and a screen that lets me set the tow mileage. I did not know that I had that last one, but I really can't see any reason that I would ever need to use it. Nothing on a trailer in mileage related. The the most common maintenance item is the tires, and I can tell by looking at them when I need new ones. The screen that lets me set the type of brakes doesn't do anything when I press the 'OK' button other than just default to checking the lights.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quite honestly, I don't care about how many miles or what the fuel economy is with a given trailer. Didn't care 25 years ago, don't care today. I only care that the truck I have is capable of towing the trailers I have.
This ^^^^^

Jigs-n-Fixtures

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks everyone! I’ve come to the conclusion that I made a bad purchase! I understand that Ram offers 4 different towed trailers in their computer system and all can be labeled to type of trailer. Also understanding, that only trailers with electric brakes are recognized when the 7 pin connector is plugged in and I can only log miles for those trailers with the system.
Trailers above a certain towed weight require electric brakes, the wieght where tehy are required varies by state, but is typically 3500-lbs. There is also a weight where brakes on all axles are required typically 5000-lbs. The trailers below 3500-lbs, typically don't weigh enough to have an impact on the truck, and don't have elctric brakes. There is a higher weight threshold where air brakes, and a CDL are required.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
Thanks everyone! I’ve come to the conclusion that I made a bad purchase! I understand that Ram offers 4 different towed trailers in their computer system and all can be labeled to type of trailer. Also understanding, that only trailers with electric brakes are recognized when the 7 pin connector is plugged in and I can only log miles for those trailers with the system.
Yep, sounds right. Mine recognizes and logs miles for my horse trailer, which has electric brakes. But it does not recognize the snowmobile trailer that doesn’t have brakes.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wanting to record trailer mileage is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I've been pulling all kinds of trailers for 55 years. I've owned five bumper pull travel trailers and a 35 foot fifth wheel since 1980 and have pulled all over the U.S . I service the brakes and bearings on trailers using common sense and estimation on time and miles of trips. If you are set on needing to know trailer mileage just do it the old fashioned way and when you pull your boat set the trip counter to zero on your truck and record the mileage after your trip in a log book kept in your glove box. Not complicated!!