"Raised Ride Height" on build sheet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Not reading through the complete thread, but the Ram 1500's with 20" wheels have a 1" aluminum spacer on the front coils. They took them out when I did the 4" lift......... I have them in my garage.

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not reading through the complete thread, but the Ram 1500's with 20" wheels have a 1" aluminum spacer on the front coils. They took them out when I did the 4" lift......... I have them in my garage.

I think the "raised ride height" has something to do 4x4. My outdoorsmans build sheet shows "raised ride height" in addition to "outdoorsman group". My dads truck is a Laramie which also has "raised ride height" on the build sheet. Both trucks are 4x4 and sit on 20 inch wheels (from the factory). The outdoorsman package gives the truck a .74'' of inch or about that of lift over the standard 4x4 package.

I pretty sure all 4x4 sit higher than all 4x2 trucks. Which is why I think it has something to do with the 4x4 feature. I could be wrong.

RAM DRVR'S post makes sense.

If you read your build sheet enough times you will find more mysterious features to look into. For example both trucks I mentioned above - both build sheets show "heavy duty front shocks" & "heavy duty rear shocks"........not sure what package or feature adds this to the build sheet. Maybe the gearing? idk.

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a 4x2 and has raised ride height, so no it's not a 4x4 thing.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat

that's weird because with another members help we installed bilstein 5100's on my truck and without a doubt there were no spacers

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you read your build sheet enough times you will find more mysterious features to look into. For example both trucks I mentioned above - both build sheets show "heavy duty front shocks" & "heavy duty rear shocks"........not sure what package or feature adds this to the build sheet. Maybe the gearing? idk.

I've got the least of the gearing available, the 3.21 and mine still says Heavy Duty Shocks, I think that one is just a marketing term. Or possibly something for the 4 door trucks? My '01 Dakota's 4 door sheet said the same thing back when I got it. Any standard cab owners out there care to comment?

-K

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
that's weird because with another members help we installed bilstein 5100's on my truck and without a doubt there were no spacers

Hmm.. RAMDRVR has a '14, as do I. I see you have a '16, might be a difference in the springs there. It the rain lets up I'll try and pop outside with a flashlight and have a look for spacers on mine.

-K

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If Im reading it correctly, the parts explosion shows a different part number for the front spring with ZNP. There are actually a bunch of different spring part numbers based on a 3 letter code, Im assuming those are various versions of suspension that can come on the truck (2WD vs 4WD, Rebel, etc)

The ZNP part for the right front spring is 05154565AB, interestingly it doesnt list a ZNP part number for left spring, so maybe ZNP is for right and there is a different code for the left spring with raised ride height?

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hmm.. RAMDRVR has a '14, as do I. I see you have a '16, might be a difference in the springs there. It the rain lets up I'll try and pop outside with a flashlight and have a look for spacers on mine.

-K

Just did a quick check on OEM parts. For my '14 4x4 w/o Air Suspension there are 2 different non-Air front shocks listed, as Type 1 and Type 2, no indication of what that means. Then there are 10, yes, 10, different front springs listed for each side. All for the 4x4 w/o Air, each with a different combination of sales codes listed. There don't seem to be any aluminum spacers listed, although there is an "Upper Spring Insulator" listed, along with an "Upper Seat". It's a line diagram, so no indication of what material each is made out of, but I'm guessing the Insulator to be rubber and the Seat metal.

RAM DRVR, maybe the spacer they removed was the seat and a different one was required to go with the springs on your lift kit?

-K

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the "raised ride height" has something to do 4x4. My outdoorsmans build sheet shows "raised ride height" in addition to "outdoorsman group". My dads truck is a Laramie which also has "raised ride height" on the build sheet. Both trucks are 4x4 and sit on 20 inch wheels (from the factory). The outdoorsman package gives the truck a .74'' of inch or about that of lift over the standard 4x4 package.

I pretty sure all 4x4 sit higher than all 4x2 trucks. Which is why I think it has something to do with the 4x4 feature. I could be wrong.

RAM DRVR'S post makes sense.

My Big Horn Crewcab says raised ride height, a stupid question maybe is why and how much? I have 20" tires and is a 4x4.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My Big Horn Crewcab says raised ride height, a stupid question maybe is why and how much? I have 20" tires and is a 4x4.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So far the consensus seems to be that it's 1 inch of height, the debate is on how it's achieved. Popular thoughts are different springs or spacers. My original quesiton of whether or not it involves different shocks is still unanswered.

-K

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is my understanding that it is this:

" Raised Ride Height sales code applies to vehicles that require a different mount during the build process when extra clearance is required due to such things as 20" wheels being selected. It is not an option that is selected when ordering the vehicle, rather it is determined to be needed by the options on the vehicle during the build process."

utahbill

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 20" tires on the 2014 2wd I used to have were the same height as 17", it even had a 17" spare. It is the width of the 20" that creates a problem if you use them on a truck that came with 17". The front tires might rub the fenderwell.
My 2017 4x4 has 17", my son's 2018 4x4 has 20". His truck as measured at outside mirror, sits a bit higher than mine. Both have the same 17" spare. It is where the suspension components mount to the frame that makes the difference.

That is what a dealer salesman told me...

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Stopped by the dealer today at lunchtime to pick up some bolts I'd ordered and talked to a guy I know in the service dept about this. He consulted with some of the techs and their determination is that the ride height difference is accomplished with different springs. According to them there are no spacers or different mounts involved and the various shock part numbers are all related to other options, not the "Increased Ride Height". Take it for what it's worth, but at least both service managers and several Class A techs all agreed on it.

-K

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stopped by the dealer today at lunchtime to pick up some bolts I'd ordered and talked to a guy I know in the service dept about this. He consulted with some of the techs and their determination is that the ride height difference is accomplished with different springs. According to them there are no spacers or different mounts involved and the various shock part numbers are all related to other options, not the "Increased Ride Height". Take it for what it's worth, but at least both service managers and several Class A techs all agreed on it.

-K

The parts diagrams Ive seen show different springs for different "codes" of truck. There is a set of springs for code "ZNP" which I took for the XZNP "raised ride height" build sheet option.

I agree, its just different springs. Im guessing the shocks have enough travel built into them that they dont really need to be changed for the extra bit of height from the springs. I didnt see any other spacers or any other parts that are "code specific" either.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Would that have any thing to do with 4 corner suspension that has selectable ride heights??

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Would that have any thing to do with 4 corner suspension that has selectable ride heights??

No, the "Raised Ride Height" is not connected to the air suspension.

-K

Cory408

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 outdoorsman with 17 inch rims heavy duty springs and the 3.92 gears and I have the "raised ride height option"

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
So do you have the four corner air shock suspension as well?