Ram 2023 Limited diesel vs 2023 Yukon Denali diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IdahoDen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Barra is incompetent at leading an auto manufacturer but she was not picked on merits.

The Silverado, in all flavors, is in production. The Bolt is coming back.

One of my sons is working in the Detroit/Hamtramck GM plant where the EV version of the Silverado is assembled as is the Hummer EV. He installs and integrates robotic cells for the assembly line. When he is done there, his team is moving to the Orion plant where the Bolt was assembled to install a vast line for battery manufacturing. The Orion plant, once on the list to be shuttered, has seen a mass expansion for the new lines.

GM also invested nearly $1 billion in a new ICE plant in Michigan to support the line of trucks and SUVs.

Sounds to me like you have sour grapes with GM, that is your issue, but GM is doing fine and is currently out-selling RAMs :(.
Maybe Chevrolet outsells ram in Michigan, but Ram dominates out west.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've not heard anything about GM problems, just Ford's quality control problems. What major problems is GM having?
Also lots of problems with lifters / valve / engine in the Yukon - Tahoe line. Which is a shame bc the new body style Yukon (2021+) is a beauty inside and out.

While it would be very hard to get rid of our Ram 2500, we did look at replacing the wife's V8 LR4 with the new GMC Tahoe AT4 to give us the best of both worlds plus lesser weight behind the coach when toad...but were shied away by the problems and GM build delays
Ch

M376X6

Reaction score
Ram Year
1963, 1965, 1983, 1984, 1985, 2022
Engine
Mopar
I hated my 1995 3500 with the Cummins. The 1998 was completely deplorable. The 2004 3500 was ugly in that beautiful red. The 2012 3500 Longhorn was such a mess it took me just over 10 years to finally get rid of it. My 23 3500 Limited with the HO Cummins is unbelievably underpowered, noisy, and uncomfortable. The half dozen or so Durango's I've owned are beyond frustrating. I finally got rid of the 2019 RT and bought a 23 SRT a few weeks ago and it is also underpowered. I don't even want to mention the nightmares I had with my 19 Charger Hellcat. I am done buying Dodge/Ram for good. Or at least until next week. But one thing I must say, some people it seems have no luck with a particular brand of vehicle. With me, it's ford. In all seriousness, they are the worst piece of junk for me personally. For others, they are great.

MHD06

Reaction score
I'm gonna buy the one that doesn't cost me $80k out the door for what I want. Brand loyalty went out the window when the NHSTA rating systems were emboldened to include the overall ratings in the 2010's. Since 2013, from a reliability and engineering standpoint pretty much all manufacturers that sell in the US are held to the same standard. Some will have problems here and there with new technologies, but that is why we recall.

OP
OP
C

cqmorrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I am in same boat. Have waited over two years. Gave up got Ram as it has the diesel and most options I wanted on Yukon. Now two of my Yukon orders came in. Dealers hose you on trade in. But back to my dilemma and my decision... GMC Yukon or Ram pickup? We both are just asking for thoughts not drama or Ford bashing.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in same boat. Have waited over two years. Gave up got Ram as it has the diesel and most options I wanted on Yukon. Now two of my Yukon orders came in. Dealers hose you on trade in. But back to my dilemma and my decision... GMC Yukon or Ram pickup? We both are just asking for thoughts not drama or Ford bashing.
Thats easy, if you can't stomach the deal on the new Denali, then you just live with the Ram. Let GM work the bugs out of the new Denali for another year, then see what a new deal brings next year.

Leo P from SoCal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 D
I've had 3 Denali's and 11 months ago got my Limited. To be honest, I love them all. I'm totally happy with my Ram though, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Zero problems...so what's the problem?

Calicajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
At this time I would only go with a Ram diesel. Both Ford and GM use a CP4 fuel pump and there are just too many problems people are having with that pump. Besides, my 2015 Ram was a great running trunk which is why I'm looking at the 2023 1 ton,

Jay P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
At this time I would only go with a Ram diesel. Both Ford and GM use a CP4 fuel pump and there are just too many problems people are having with that pump. Besides, my 2015 Ram was a great running trunk which is why I'm looking at the 2023 1 ton,
That's not true. GM stopped using the CP4 after 2016. They switched to a Denso fuel system which both the 6.6l and the 3l use.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This a three post visitor. I have my suspicions.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 95912 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reported on July 6, 2023.
View attachment 525760
I wonder how much of that drop is due to inventory issues. Not one Ram dealer in my county or the surrounding counties have had much. My dealer had just four 1500s, all 4th gens, until a week ago. They did just get eleven 2500s this past week. There's only one 5th gen 1500 on their lot as of this past Wednesday.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 95940 miles.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So....

Rhetorically; what will the Yukon do that the Ram won't? It sounds like your heart was set on a Yukon and impatience (yes, orders all over have been screwed up) got the better of you.

You are the one who ends up with the dilemma of a truck that wasn't your first choice or losing a lot of money by getting the truck you wanted. Which is the greater evil for you? That will steer you to the best decision for you.

For me, I want the truck I want so while I would be ticked off for a while about the money, I would get right truck. That feeling would dissipate a lot faster than driving the wrong truck every day. Caveat: I keep my trucks for quite a while so that extra money would be spread over a longer period. Pain is a bit less.

Good luck.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If this is producing agony for the OP after two years, it sounds like the Yukon was the first choice to begin with. In my experience people are never quite satisfied with a second choice, especially in this case where a Yukon is not a pickup, and the Ram is not a fully enclosed, station wagon. Value lost at trade-in or not, no matter how good the Ram is it will never produce the satisfactory emotional feedback as the Yukon.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 96259 miles.