RAM 2500 + 6.4L Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pfifla1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered my megacab last month. I hope they DON'T offer it in a 6.4 and this is all hype because my dealer told me it wasn't an option at the time. Me and him are gonna have a little talk when I go to pick it up when I find out I could have ordered it with the engine I wanted. But then, like other people have said, I don't know if the minimal increase in hp/tq is worth the cost. I have the 5.7 now and I have no problems with it. Either way this is the first truck that I have ordered exactly how I want it so I am excited!

Out of curiosity, did they discount the truck when you ordered it? i am literally looking at the exact same vehicle, what kind of mileage do you get?

the 6.4s (i am told) will ship mid december.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not too familiar with the Kodiak's, aren't they 4500 or 5500 series trucks? If so that would explain why it rode like a freight train. I'm talking about 1500 series pickups.

It was a "Kodiak special edition". They offer a bunch like that up here every year. Kodiak, Nevada etc. It was absolutely a 1500.
the ride was similar to when I towed our trailer, bed sitting firmly on the Timbren springs. Every hairline crack in the road was translated and magnified into the cab.

I've seen local commercials mentioning the 6.4 on tv but I still can't even price one out on ramtrucks.ca

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think the power gains are a little depressing. wouldnt it be cool to a gas truck putting down a solid 400 WTQ to the ground lol !

still none the less I think with a set of 4.10's its gonna be a strong truck !

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
well what I've read is the payload is increased with the coil springs and the air ride suspension on the 2500's what I've also found is the payload is as much if not a little more tan the 3500's. the towing capacity is less than the 3500's. there is a video on youtube explaining the new rear suspension and the engineer from ram stated the higher payload capacity with the 1500's ride.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
I haven't seen the specs, but I'm willing to bet the 429 lb.ft peak torque comes in at much lower RPMs than the 5.7, which hits peak torque at 3850.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Ok, I don't get it. I haven't followed the 6.4's progress, but something doesn't seem right.

Does it seem that there might be some sandbagging going on?

An R/T Challenger with the 5.7, is 10 hp down to the Ram trucks due mostly to the fuel rails.

An SRT 392 (6.4) is 470 hp and 470 Tq. at the flywheel. That's around 410 on the ground.

Does it seem odd that the 6.4 in the Rams are that far down in comparison when they're up on the car version of the 5.7??

Like I said, I haven't paid too much attention to it.

RANJR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 or 6.7
The 6.4 in the SRT vehicles is a light-duty engine where the Rams version is a mid-duty. It is designed for towing and hard use.

Boilerlife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Power seems weak to me. Not really much difference from my 5.7

RANJR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 or 6.7
Peak power is not much higher but you don't drive around at peak often. I'm looking forward to seeing a dyno graph to compare torque curves.

I stopped by my dealer and checked out a 2500 Big Horn 6.4L with the Black Appearance package. I would have driven it but I was muddy from wheeling. I'm looking for either a 6.4 or 6.7 to tow my Jeep around the country.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 356

awo1aggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Megacab Bighorn 4x4
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Out of curiosity, did they discount the truck when you ordered it? i am literally looking at the exact same vehicle, what kind of mileage do you get?

the 6.4s (i am told) will ship mid december.

I got my mine for $2000 under invoice all said and done. I am getting about 13 city and 15 highway. I do more hightway driving than anything (55-60)mph)

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
The 6.4 in the SRT vehicles is a light-duty engine where the Rams version is a mid-duty. It is designed for towing and hard use.

That doesn't make much sense. 2 different 6.4 engines? This isn't the days of 351 Cleveland/Windsor.

I'd guess it would be in the cam, tune, and fuel rails. Maybe heads. What's the compression ratio?

Might be there as well, but the design, I would hazard, should be the same. The 6.4 is built off of the 5.7. Not as much wiggle room to go bigger. The 6.1's can go to 426 cid

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
My biggest concern with the 6.4 is with the transmission. The tranny gears and shift points are set up for the 6.7 diesel. The diesel makes it's torque in a much lower RPM range than the 6.4 Hemi will. Lower R&P gearing really won't help this problem either. This is why both the Chevy and Ford will out accelerate the 6.4 Hemi on an unloaded 0-60 run

Personally, I'm going to wait a couple of years and see if Ram comes out with a transmission specific to the 6.4 Hemi 2500 truck application. Or, I'll just get a used Cummins 6.7

RANJR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 or 6.7
I test drove a 6.4 on Monday and it had absolutely no issue with the transmission gearing or power. And the one I drove was a 3.73 rear.

Here is a video I took of the drive - 2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
A quick Google search will clear this up.

Ram 6.4 Hemi Specs

Link doesn't work.

Looked around and it's pretty much what I thought. Not a total redesign. Shares 70% of the 5.7's. (Same as the 6.4 SRT engines)

Few differences, but not as many as you think. I didn't see anything in any article that was a major difference. Mostly in the tune and the cam to move the tq down lower.

RANJR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 or 6.7
From Allpar

"This version of the 6.4L HEMI was, according to a Ram engineer, designed from the ground up for trucks; it includes an active runner intake, for both low end torque and high end power. The power ratings are best in class. It delivers the same torque as a key competitor, but at lower engine speeds.

The engine has a cooled EGR system for greater efficiency, cylinder deactivation for economy, PVC integrated into the intake, and a floating pin on the systems. Sodium filled exhaust valves and tough valve seat material, stainless steel exhaust gaskets and fasteners, and oil jets for cooling the pistons add to durability. The engine has a cast iron block and forged steel crank."