RAM 2500 Cabin Exhaust Vent Leak with New Vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cameron22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey everyone, I’ve seen a lot of posts on this forum and others discussing the exhaust vents leaking following rain with the old style vents. My 2019 2500 came with the “new” vents. All the solutions I’ve seen have involved replacing the “old” vents with the “new”.

I noticed some wetness/moisture under my rear seats and followed all the typical leak path checks. I have an aftermarket third brake light and that gasket seems to be compressed well. I pulled the seats and used the shower setting on a garden hose and got leakage through the vents. This may be a little more direct spray than rain, but considering the wetness following rain and then this test, my best guess is that’s the path the water is taking to get into the cab.

Has anyone experienced leaking through the vent with the new ones? Given the price, I’m tempted to just buy two new ones and see if something strange is going on, but the ones I’ve got appear to be intact, didn’t have any debris, etc.

Garden hose test is the close in pic, you can see the water starting to seep through.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Cameron

Attachments

• 73802153872__D89B3DDD-3671-462C-9765-5CD805BF9C65.jpeg
    73802153872__D89B3DDD-3671-462C-9765-5CD805BF9C65.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 14

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone, I’ve seen a lot of posts on this forum and others discussing the exhaust vents leaking following rain with the old style vents. My 2019 2500 came with the “new” vents. All the solutions I’ve seen have involved replacing the “old” vents with the “new”.

I noticed some wetness/moisture under my rear seats and followed all the typical leak path checks. I have an aftermarket third brake light and that gasket seems to be compressed well. I pulled the seats and used the shower setting on a garden hose and got leakage through the vents. This may be a little more direct spray than rain, but considering the wetness following rain and then this test, my best guess is that’s the path the water is taking to get into the cab.

Has anyone experienced leaking through the vent with the new ones? Given the price, I’m tempted to just buy two new ones and see if something strange is going on, but the ones I’ve got appear to be intact, didn’t have any debris, etc.

Garden hose test is the close in pic, you can see the water starting to seep through.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Cameron

I have a 2018 1500 and originally read that beginning in 2018 the new style vents were factory installed. After chasing a leak with wet carpeting and no third brake light or rear window leak I determined it was in fact the exhaust vents. I had the rear seats pulled for a week and watched water flow into the cab during a rain shower. I ordered new part number vents and they were actually a slightly different design than the ones installed in my truck. After installing the new vents I sprayed the back of the cab down with a garden hose and much to my surprise the vents were still leaking. They didn’t leak at the rubber flaps but leaked around the outside perimeter of the plastic frame. Yes the vents have an exterior seal on the outside frame but I assume the clip tension was not enough to seal them properly so I used a clear silicone caulk to seal the perimeter of the plastic frame to the inside of the cab body. Not the prettiest fix but it worked as I sprayed it down again the next day after the caulking dried. Left the seats out another week so I could test again during a real rainstorm and it did in fact stop the leak.