Ram 3500 airbags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timelinex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've got a 2020 Ram 3500 8ft SRW and wanted to see what airbags people recommend these days. Here are things that may affect recommendations:

• <4k payload
  • Self-install... So easier install is a plus
  • I plan on starting with manually pumping since I don't plan on towing often. I can always add a compressor after right? That may mean a better option for me are ones that are less likely to leak and/or don't need a minimum fill that I have to monitor on non towing days.
Thanks guys!

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion most air bags are comparable you wont find a brand that really excels past another. you can convert any kit to automatic fill as you just add a air compressor in line.
I know a lot of people are running 6in air bags with daystar cradles as they help with the ride when empty. I run a airlift wireless one system and i am installing daystar cradles today.
if you do not tow much i would not run auto fill bags as its really not needed. most of all air bags will tell you to run a min 5psi in them even when you dont need them it will help
them from not tearing.

OP
OP
T

timelinex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
In my opinion most air bags are comparable you wont find a brand that really excels past another. you can convert any kit to automatic fill as you just add a air compressor in line.
I know a lot of people are running 6in air bags with daystar cradles as they help with the ride when empty. I run a airlift wireless one system and i am installing daystar cradles today.
if you do not tow much i would not run auto fill bags as its really not needed. most of all air bags will tell you to run a min 5psi in them even when you dont need them it will help
them from not tearing.

Thanks for the input. It looks like the airlift ones have 2 choices. One is the standard that you linked and the other is the Ultimate Plus which adds some stainless steel parts. Any input if that is needed?

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input. It looks like the airlift ones have 2 choices. One is the standard that you linked and the other is the Ultimate Plus which adds some stainless steel parts. Any input if that is needed?

Stainless steel lines would be good as they will not produce leaks from rubbing on stuff as the plastic hose tend to do. if you pay attention to the lines and wrap the line around hoses where they rub i never really felt the need for the upgrade.
i never go with the upgraded lines as the plastic ones are cheap to replace if you ever do spring a leak.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just out of curiosity how much are you planning on towing/hauling that your thinking you'll need airbags?

OP
OP
T

timelinex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just out of curiosity how much are you planning on towing/hauling that your thinking you'll need airbags?
Grand Design 381m.... It's a GVWR of 20k lb but I'll probably be closer to 19k with my SxS. In case you are wondering about payload, my truck rating is 4200# and
because of the layout, people report an almost fully loaded pin weight of around ~3100# with a SxS. So I should be good, but I think airbags will help....

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Grand Design 381m.... It's a GVWR of 20k lb but I'll probably be closer to 19k with my SxS. In case you are wondering about payload, my truck rating is 4200# and
because of the layout, people report an almost fully loaded pin weight of around ~3100# with a SxS. So I should be good, but I think airbags will help....

Air bags will Definitely help out. you can run that without air bags but you will have saggy ass and for long trips airbags would be nice.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
people report an almost fully loaded pin weight of around ~3100# with a SxS. So I should be good, but I think airbags will help....
The truck should be able to handle the pin but where the air bags will help will be for stabilizing the trailer for road conditions. Get the WirelessOne compressor rwhen you put the bags in, not only can it remember what pressure you like to run but will allow on the fly adjustments. My buddy runs the WirelessOne w/airbags for towing his fiver and really like having that adjustability

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Timber Grove ASAMs.

I had the ASAMs for my 1500 and they were perfect. Still plan on getting these later on. I had a WirelessOne hooked up to it later after the install.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Doesn't the 3500 have leaf springs? Maybe I'm wrong but thought they did.

OP
OP
T

timelinex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Timber Grove ASAMs.

I had the ASAMs for my 1500 and they were perfect. Still plan on getting these later on. I had a WirelessOne hooked up to it later after the install.
They seem like a solid kit and a good option.

My only concern is that it doesn't look like they have bumpstops like the other brands do, so you always need to have 7psi+ in them. I'm not opposed to having air in them, it's more so that since I will rarely need them I am going with a manual kit. I don't want another job where I have to check the air pressure in the bags I don't use every X weeks.

Have you guys found you can put air in the Timber bags and come back months later and it is the same PSI? Or do you need to check every few weeks?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
They seem like a solid kit and a good option.

My only concern is that it doesn't look like they have bumpstops like the other brands do, so you always need to have 7psi+ in them. I'm not opposed to having air in them, it's more so that since I will rarely need them I am going with a manual kit. I don't want another job where I have to check the air pressure in the bags I don't use every X weeks.

Have you guys found you can put air in the Timber bags and come back months later and it is the same PSI? Or do you need to check every few weeks?
I had the Air Lift WirelessOne hooked to them and when I started my truck, if they were low due to cold temps, it would automatically go to 7psi....that's what was nice about the WirelessOne setup. Majority of the time, spring, summer, fall, it never did it.

OP
OP
T

timelinex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Alright guys, thanks for all the recommendations. I have bought Timber Grove air bags today.