Ram Boxes - Would you choose them in my situation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you’re using a bed like a trunk, you’ll be using a tonneau cover.

It is easier to seal the bed without the Rambox versus seal the bed with the Rambox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The main problem area is at the ends of the tailgate. There is a large gap which isn't covered by the tonneau cover. My Truxedo LoPro roll up cover came with weatherstripping to seal this area, and it seems to work well. See pic below (Hoping HitchHiker doesn't mind my using his pic). This is a 4th gen, but 5th gens are similar. I don't have a pic of mine handy.
Rambox leak area.png

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I always put a cap on the bed of the trucks I own so I can put stuff in the bed and not have it subject to the weather or to theft. The Ram boxes do not work for those wanting a cap.

Snatch straps, flares, breaker bar, tie straps, and similar items go under the rear seat in the cab of my truck where there is plenty of space and it is easy to get to what I need quickly.

I would also worry about corrosion over time with water inside these boxes.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I would also worry about corrosion over time with water inside these boxes.

The caps part of your argument I get, if thats your style. I dislike truck caps, and feel that if folks want to put a cap on a truck, they should have got a large SUV instead. But thats just my opinion, to each their own.

However, the corrosion comment does not apply. The only parts that are metal in there are the hinges, the latch, and a few bolts. So sure, if you filled them with water, and left it in there for weeks or months without opening/draining, sure, the hinges/latch/etc. would probably start to get rusty. However, the boxes themselves are plastic/composite, not metal, so they do not corrode. Even their tops, although painted to match the rest of the truck, are plastic.

They also have drain plugs at the bottom, so if water does get in (for example, if you throw drinks into them with some ice), you can drain them.

Water should not get into them through the door seals. Once properly adjusted, the only time I could get water into my 2014's was when I used a high pressure wand on them 18 inches or so away, blasting directly at the seam/seal. I have not tested my 2020 yet, but they look better sealed than even my 2014. We shall see.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
The caps part of your argument I get, if thats your style. I dislike truck caps, and feel that if folks want to put a cap on a truck, they should have got a large SUV instead. But thats just my opinion, to each their own.

However, the corrosion comment does not apply. The only parts that are metal in there are the hinges, the latch, and a few bolts. So sure, if you filled them with water, and left it in there for weeks or months without opening/draining, sure, the hinges/latch/etc. would probably start to get rusty. However, the boxes themselves are plastic/composite, not metal, so they do not corrode. Even their tops, although painted to match the rest of the truck, are plastic.

They also have drain plugs at the bottom, so if water does get in (for example, if you throw drinks into them with some ice), you can drain them.

Water should not get into them through the door seals. Once properly adjusted, the only time I could get water into my 2014's was when I used a high pressure wand on them 18 inches or so away, blasting directly at the seam/seal. I have not tested my 2020 yet, but they look better sealed than even my 2014. We shall see.
^ this. I run my truck through the occasional car wash, it sits outside during storms, I drive in rain. I do not get water in the ramboxes.

Njt07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 etorque
I love the Rambox for all the good reasons listed above plus the fact that they lock and unlock automatically with the truck doors.
I didnt know this. Honestly one of the only reasons I’m still considering a 1500 is due to the Ram boxes. The new F150 seems to have caught up interior wise, though it sounds like the ride is unchanged, ie rough.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m glad my truck doesn’t have them bed boxes. Although it would be kind of redundant to say that part of the reason why I don’t have them is because of some of the problems I’ve heard other people have which consists of the doors not sealing correctly, or the doors get warped and leak, stuff like that because there’s also a lot of known issues with Rams air ride system and my truck does have that but even though I don’t even use my truck for a pickup hardly, I don’t want to be shorted on the room that I have especially being that I have the shorter 5-7 bed.

My truck bed is my trunk but with those ram boxes, you’re limited to what tonneau covers you can use. I used to have one of those Retrax retractable tonneau covers on mine which I don’t think they make for the truck with the Ram boxes and even my new cover that I hope to get one of these days from undercover would work with this type of bed as well.

But all in all, I just don’t like how they make the bed look and I don’t like those big wide bed rails… LOL. I keep a big storage tote and a good size toolbox in there that keeps all of my “truck” items in it safe and secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would opt for the Rambox also. With the Rmabox comes the bed separator (at least mine did). Easy to put it where you want to hold your groceries or anything else.

I've had very few issues with water leaking...and the pros outweigh the cons. I don't use the bed very much but when I do there is more than enough room for what I need it for... Items such as golf clubs, my bicycle, etc.

My Rambox have multiple things inside... cleaning supplies, towing/recovery items, first aid kit, etc.

Good luck with your choice!

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wish I’d have them. Would come in super handy for my normal work crap that I keep in totes like my tools, hard hat, rubber boots, respirator etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m glad my truck doesn’t have them bed boxes. Although it would be kind of redundant to say that part of the reason why I don’t have them is because of some of the problems I’ve heard other people have which consists of the doors not sealing correctly, or the doors get warped and leak, stuff like that because there’s also a lot of known issues with Rams air ride system and my truck does have that but even though I don’t even use my truck for a pickup hardly, I don’t want to be shorted on the room that I have especially being that I have the shorter 5-7 bed.

My truck bed is my trunk but with those ram boxes, you’re limited to what tonneau covers you can use. I used to have one of those Retrax retractable tonneau covers on mine which I don’t think they make for the truck with the Ram boxes and even my new cover that I hope to get one of these days from undercover would work with this type of bed as well.

But all in all, I just don’t like how they make the bed look and I don’t like those big wide bed rails… LOL. I keep a big storage tote and a good size toolbox in there that keeps all of my “truck” items in it safe and secure.

Any problems with your air ride?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any problems with your air ride?

Nope, it’s been trouble-free. Of course, the air ride was pretty much my main reason for opting for the lifetime warranty I got but, those Ram boxes just didn’t appeal to me. The bed divider is cool but that’s just not something I need. Believe it or not, that bed rug of mine does a pretty good job of holding stuff in place.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I got them by chance on my 17 1500 5.7. Wasn't out looking for them, but this truck ticked all the boxes I was looking for, and happened to have the ramboxes. I am very happy with them, and keep all the random stuff I need in them (tie down straps, bungee cords, misc tools, etc). I also like the tiedown system rails and cargo container (goes between the walls of the bed to help control smaller loads, eg. I keep all my camping stuff in the bed all the time, but want to keep it at the front of the bed.)

Garry Ram 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a used 2010 with Ram Boxes and I like them, it also came with the side utility rails, bed divider, and a Truxedo cover for the box. The ONLY issue I am having is I want to be able to put in a rack system to carry things above the box and I have been unable to find anything that works with a Ram Box truck. Not even Dodge makes anything. So if you ever think you may want to be able to install any kind of rail system over the box, you may want to forgo the Ram Box. Obviously you can put rails on the cab.

Willy Bars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
I have had two. One on a 2017, 3500 limited and now I have one on my 2019, 2500 limited. For me it is a must have.

But something is going on with using the divider as a bed extender. It came on the 17 with the cargo management system. On the 19, I got the divider but not all the extender parts. Really liked the extender.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had them on my 2017 Laramie 1500 and they came in handy. Only situation came up when I thought about purchasing a slide in truck camper and then they became a problem. Fixed that problem by buying a 2500 with no boxes and about 1 ton more payload.

habu987

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A

Retrax makes tonneau covers for the 5th gen Rambox trucks, I've got one on mine. No issues at all!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Retrax makes tonneau covers for the 5th gen Rambox trucks, I've got one on mine. No issues at all!

That’s good that they figured it out then. They might actually make a Retrax cover for the 4th Gen Ram boxes but I just didn’t think they would because of the overlapping design of the Retrax side rails that could interfere with the box lids.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Ram boxes? YES YES YES. Love mine. Tons of storage space, waterproof, locks tied to the door locks.

joeyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im with you Brent L, I bought my 14 used and didn't give it a second thought, but i love them!!!
I wont ever go without them again. And you can still slide a sheet of drywall or plywood in there with the ram boxes! Boom!!!!