Ram guys, I need opinions quickly on a potential purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Ok Ramily, give me your honest thoughts on this... I've been shopping Rams for quite a while now. Local dealer now has a used '19 Crew Cab V6 Big Horn 4wd with Level 1 equipment group (which I want) and 9,000 miles on it. They are asking $29,000.
I've been shopping primarily quad cabs with level 1's and v6 (which are hard to find). I'd love a Hemi Big Horn with Level 1 but it creeps out of my price range.
Provided they come down and get me out the door for $29,000, is this a can't pass up deal? I know that truck will go quick, so I should move on it tomorrow. Just curious what your thoughts were. Also, how concerned should I be with why the original owner dumped it so quickly?

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
4th or 5th gen?

If it’s what you want and in your price range do it.

Would not worry why it is back so soon, could be any reason, including a very short term lease, or the previous owner bought something to large for the truck to pull. But, to ease your mind, get a Carfax report.

Hope it works out for you.

OP
OP
M

Munson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thank you for your quick response. I think this truck is exactly what I want and I'm researching financing APR's as I have never financed a used vehicle before. I have very good credit, should I expect a really good rate? I'm putting around $15,000 down between trade in and cash. incidentally, Carfax checks out good and it's a 5th gen.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it has the features you're looking for and you can get it out the door at a price you're happy with, I would go for it. Good luck!

Red

OP
OP
M

Munson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thanks Papa Red!!! I'm currently shopping interest rates for used vehicles. I have never financed a used vehicle before and I have an excellent credit rating. Should I expect an excellent rate on the loan? I'm putting about $15000 down between trade in and cash.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, with good credit and more than 20% down you should get a very good rate. If you don’t like the first number tell the finance person, they get more than one reply to a credit app.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Unless you plan on towing beyond what it's rated for a v6 is fine I love my v6 Quad. Since I don't have kids I wanted the longer bed for hauling stuff but if you're going to be carrying more people the long cargo then there is no reason not to get a Crew. I assume this is a 5th Gen and not the classic model which for $29K sounds like a good deal with only 9K miles on it. I wouldn't read too much into the low mileage return good news for you really!

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question: why is this the configuration you want? If price were no object (within reason, of course) is this the truck you would buy?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2.9% for a used car rate is very good, usually much higher than that for used stuff.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2.9% for a used car rate is very good, usually much higher than that for used stuff.

I would consider that a good rate on a pre- owned vehicle. Check with your financial institution, they may even do better than that. My credit union gave me 1.9 on a 3 yr term when I was buying a used car for my daughter 2 yrs ago.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you plan on keeping the truck a while? Because the V6/Quad cab will definitely hurt the resale/trade value vs a Hemi/crew cab. I would definitely get what you really want and not settle. And 2.9 for a used truck is very good. I refinanced a year ago for 3.2 IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Most credit unions and some banks basically consider a 2019 as "new" anyway, so you shouldn't notice a difference in APR.

Sounds like a great truck. I absolutely love my pentastar powered 2017.

Crew cab is a cool find with the v6. You don't see that often.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most credit unions and some banks basically consider a 2019 as "new" anyway, so you shouldn't notice a difference in APR.

Sounds like a great truck. I absolutely love my pentastar powered 2017.

Crew cab is a cool find with the v6. You don't see that often.

That's true, in fact when I bought my 17 in April of last year, it still qualified for the new car loan rate (2.75%). The dealer I bought it from was more than double that so I quickly refinanced after purchase.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMO I still don’t see the point of a V6 in a half ton. The gas mileage is pretty good with a Hemi if your not going to add mods. Why not buy what you want. And Quad vs crew is definitely a life decision. IMO quads looks silly on a ram. Kills the resale/trade value too.

OP
OP
M

Munson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
IMO I still don’t see the point of a V6 in a half ton. The gas mileage is pretty good with a Hemi if your not going to add mods. Why not buy what you want. And Quad vs crew is definitely a life decision. IMO quads looks silly on a ram. Kills the resale/trade value too.

I couldn't agree more, especially after today. I drove both. There is no comparison. I'm sure the 6's are good, reliable engines but there is no way I'm hopping into one of those things every morning for the next five to eight years. I know I would deeply regret that. That thing felt like my wife's CRV. To each their own, but I'm Hemi bound for sure.

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I couldn't agree more, especially after today. I drove both. There is no comparison. I'm sure the 6's are good, reliable engines but there is no way I'm hopping into one of those things every morning for the next five to eight years. I know I would deeply regret that. That thing felt like my wife's CRV. To each their own, but I'm Hemi bound for sure.
I would definitely go hemi, no doubt about it. v6 is good but theres nothing like the sound of a v8 cruising.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Good move. I said this on another post somewhere but the 6 is usually a toss-in on a full-size truck to appeal to cheapskates who otherwise wouldn't buy the truck. They're generally barely any different in fuel economy, take a big hit on resale, are no more robust, and have less power and utility all the way around on the truck. Obviously the Ford setup is excepted but these are boosted.

I've had trucks with both and I would never do a 6 on a full-size truck. If the only pulling I needed for the truck was achievable with a 6 I would just get a mid-size truck because that's obviously all I needed in the first place.

OP
OP
M

Munson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
all good points. There are a lot of half ton buyers that really don't need a vehicle that big. The problem is the few smaller trucks available barely cost any less than the half tons.
I've been saying forever that Toyota should have stuck with the first gen Tundra's size and developed it as a smaller, more efficient alternative to the big three's half tons. 4x8's flat in the bed with a truck just big enough to accommodate that. Develop a fuel efficient drivetrain that gets mid 20's MPG and feels good. Get people out the door in the low 30's. They would sell those things as fast as they could build them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevo5441