Ram Hybrid for 2025

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If this thing can tow my 33 ft travel trailer I could see replacing my 2500 cummins with this truck. Especially if the payload capacity is 2200 lbs. The high torque electric motors provide the same type of power the diesel does, and the regen brakes effectively work the same as the diesel engine brake.

I currently own a Diesel truck and I bought a Chevy bolt for local driving. I could trade both in for this truck.

bballr4567

Reaction score
How much more does the thing weigh than a gas truck? A regular Grand Cherokee weighs 4500lbs, a 4xe weighs 6900lbs. What effect will that have on tires and brakes?
In your haste to be "Right" you are pretty badly wrong.

A GC 4xe is 5,315lbs. The GVWR is 6900lbs.

A GC Limited 4x4 is 4,426. The GVWR is 6050lbs.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The negativity towards it is that it doesn't make any sense. Depending on the price difference between it and a gas Ram you are going to be driving for several years before you reach the break even point... and I'm not even figuring in the cost of electricity.

I assume you are a homeowner and can install a home charger. How much extra will that cost on top of the vehicle itself? Ask some of the Tesla owners from California how much charging costs them a month. You might be surprised.

How much more does the thing weigh than a gas truck? A regular Grand Cherokee weighs 4500lbs, a 4xe weighs 6900lbs. What effect will that have on tires and brakes?

Plus, what is your resale value going to look like in five years? In ten years? If that battery takes a dump how much will it cost to replace? $10,000?

Will your homeowners insurance go up if you buy an EV? You'd better check.

Too many things that don't make financial sense. Too many unknowns.
AND, what IF democraps win again and gas goes to $10 or more per gallon. And, what if they put better tires on it that last like the ones on an 80k semi, and, what if the rotors don't wear out that fast because of generative breaking. And, what if there are so many what if's that our heads just EXPLODE thinking about all the unknowns and what if's.
My head hurts. I'm going back to bed. G-night all.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amazing how fast a simple discussion about a new vehicle coming to market in the FUTURE can change into a Ram-bashing pile of negative crap, speculation and opinion about an untested and unknowns.
If you like the resulting truck and think it will work for you, then buy it. If it won't work for you, then don't. But talking $hit to others about what hasn't even hit the market yet is a waste of time and energy.
Like mama said, it isn't what you say, but the way you say, it that makes either friends or enemies.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
How much did it set you back compared to a non-hybrid GC?

Divide that by the cost of a gallon of fuel to see how much gas you could have bought with the cost difference. Multiply that number by the average MPG of a gas Jeep to see how many miles you need to drive pure electric to break even with a gas Jeep. Oh, and make sure you are accounting for that $20/mo of electricity too.

People think they are saving money buying an EV and not using that horrible foreign oil. Truth of the matter is they paid several thousand in fuel costs up front, and are paying interest on that amount, instead of just filling up every week.
It was $8k more than a normal GC Limited, but it came with a $7500 tax credit so basically nothing.
One thing that irks me though is that Iowa registration charges a $65/year upcharge to offset the gas road tax revenue loss,( meanwhile my PW is at premium as well because of Gas Guzzler tax..)
They push green initiatives but stick it to you when you do...

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If this thing can tow my 33 ft travel trailer I could see replacing my 2500 cummins with this truck. Especially if the payload capacity is 2200 lbs. The high torque electric motors provide the same type of power the diesel does, and the regen brakes effectively work the same as the diesel engine brake.

I currently own a Diesel truck and I bought a Chevy bolt for local driving. I could trade both in for this truck.
This…. Kind of surprised no one has brought this up…. instead of arguing whether or not it is a hybrid :).

The performance stats are impressive. It is a 4WD 3/4 ton class truck that blows by the 6.4 hemi and comes very to the Cummins.

Not a grocery getter, but looks quite capable for towing and hauling. We will see

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
This…. Kind of surprised no one has brought this up…. instead of arguing whether or not it is a hybrid :).

The performance stats are impressive. It is a 4WD 3/4 ton class truck that blows by the 6.4 hemi and comes very to the Cummins.

Not a grocery getter, but looks quite capable for towing and hauling. We will see
I expect TFL and many other youtube channels to put this truck through its towing paces. I would not be an early adopter, but there is a ton of potential here.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the last electric truck towing a trailer that they tested was a fiasco.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I miss my 85 Ramcharger. Perfect truck that I was a fool for selling.
I paid $21k for each of my last 2 Rams. I don't know how people think it makes sense to pay $60k+ for a vehicle.

Tony Ansley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Anyone can call it whatever they want. The company says it's NOT a PHEV
Based what how it works in the auto world, in my view , they are correct. PHEV has electric motor and (gas or diesel or some other engine type) to power the wheels. This does not.
The gas motor only moves generator which is turn charges the battery. So in your example. It's not hybrid. Generator is not technically a power source for propulsion. Which is why they call it EREV
There are some cars that are Hybrids and EREV in EU and China as example. Electric Motor, Gas Motor (either can move the car) And the gas motor can charge the battery as well as drive the car.

Isn't marketing great!?! The industry does consider this to be an PHEV..a "hybrid'...it is what is called a "serial hybrid" where the engine is NOT directly tied to the drive train...as opposed to a "parallel hybrid", where both EM and ICE are attached to the transmission and blend as needed direct power to the drive train.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Agreed - with everything said. A lot of interesting points both pro and con but the most relevant comments are "Wait and see!". We won't really know until it gets here. For myself, I'll probably keep on with my 2014 Express.

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Chrysler talked about this back in 2006 when Mercedes owned them. I can't believe no one has done this yet. It seems like an absolute perfect transportation solution. Make the generator diesel and low RPM and the Bob's Your Uncle!!! Or better yet, a Wankle!

svanarts

Reaction score
Ram Year
I'm shopping for a Ram diesel and no way I could afford to buy new. I don't know who they think will buy these things.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I'm shopping for a Ram diesel and no way I could afford to buy new. I don't know who they think will buy these things.
The same people buying Ford Lightning's and GM Sierra EV when that comes out next year.

No pricing info yet. But I'd suspect they'll start in the 50's to compete with the Ford and GM.

I paid $74k for my truck and it's not a diesel. I might be interested in the Ramcharger after it's been out for a couple years. Never buy a first year anything. Public beta testing is not something I'm interested in being a part of.

darioa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 3.0 L
What I want is towing capability (i.e. lots of torque), enough payload (so I can tow and have room to spare for people and toys), good gas mileage (or rather good range so I don't stop every 200 miles to fill up), good acceleration, a quiet ride (I don't care about the great V8 sound), good turning diameter (so I can park it easily and that eliminates Ford trucks), reliability (which also eliminates Fords), safety tech, an on-board generator (the Ford Powerboost has both), and a future proof investment (we are going electric, get over it) that I can afford.
This is a very interesting answer to (my) requirements if it can tow and have more than 400 miles range doing so. Yes, I wish it were a diesel engine, but the engine will run at an optimized RPM to maximize the recharging requirements and will see less load extremes than an ICE engine, so the maintenance cost should be less. Also less moving parts and less weight to make room for batteries, which should improve reliability.
In 2 years I'll have to consider selling my 2023 Ram 1500 ED. It will not be an easy decision.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The new Hybrid version of the Ram 1500 sounds like a "Shut Up and take my Money!"

Goes on to say no range anxiety or charging worries. They better ramp up production at the Warren truck plant and watch bot Ford and GM follow suit on building this format.
The important point is that the ice motor does NOT drive the truck, only the electric motors do. The ice drives a generator to charge the battery and/or run the electric motors. No range anxiety, you will always be snke to run with gas running the ice running the electric motors. A far better idea than others!!!!!!!!.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Tyleriv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I believe that this configuration is known as a serial hybrid as opposed to the more common parallel hybrid. Similar to the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and (I believe) the BMW i8, it does not require a transmission. However, the Outlander does have a single speed transmission to engage the ICE when extra power is required (passing - uphill climbs). If the battery fails, the ICE/generator can provide power directly to the electric drive train. If the Pentastar is tuned to a higher efficiency valve timing, at the expense of maximum power (Atkinson cycle?) the system can improve gas efficiency and all the while gain with regenerative braking making stop and go driving very efficient. Combine that with plug in charging, you almost eliminate the need to gas up in city driving situations (Plug in to recharge at home). This system is significantly more complex than conventional drive trains, but the Outlander PHEV seems to have been quite successful.