Ram Hybrid for 2025

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The new Hybrid version of the Ram 1500 sounds like a "Shut Up and take my Money!"

"The Ramcharger combines a 92 kilowatt-hour battery pack with an onboard 130 kilowatt generator powered by a 3.6-liter Pentastar V6, according to the company. The upshot is a targeted 690 miles of range in a truck that promises 663 horsepower and 615 pound-feet of torque while it manages a 0-60 mph time of 4.4 seconds and towing of up 14,000 pounds."

Goes on to say no range anxiety or charging worries. They better ramp up production at the Warren truck plant and watch bot Ford and GM follow suit on building this format.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a winner so far. Let's see what actually ends up in the showroom and what the price is. I agree with Star Deceiver. They need to make these trucks so average people can afford them. 80k is too much for the average Joe.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
The story I was reading, said it's not hybrid. The gas engine doesn't power the wheels. Only charges the battery.
Looks interesting anyway.
They're still calling it a hybrid. PHEV to be exact.
Funny thing, 20 years ago when the Prius fist started really hitting it's stride I said they should just make it fully electric and add a gas powered generator to charge it's battery...
Of every new truck available today the Ramcharger may be the only one I'd be willing to trade the PW for...

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Sounds like a great idea. Also sounds like something they’re going to pass off as an $80k truck, which is a hard pass.
Freight trains have been using that idea for several decades...
Unfortunately everything is expensive anymore...glad I bought my PW when I did-I couldn't afford to get one at today's prices...
But if electrification is the wave of the future I like this application the best...

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They're still calling it a hybrid. PHEV to be exact.
Funny thing, 20 years ago when the Prius fist started really hitting it's stride I said they should just make it fully electric and add a gas powered generator to charge it's battery...
Of every new truck available today the Ramcharger may be the only one I'd be willing to trade the PW for...
Who are "they" ?

Ram isn't.

“It is not a PHEV,” said Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis. “It functions as a pure battery electric truck. All of the instantaneous torque, all of the power, everything you’ve talked about already. But without any of the downsides.”

They are calling it "EREV" extended-range electric vehicle, which isn't new. Just not been done in Truck yet.

But whatever. Funny thing about this new Truck. It's going be all screens, running UC5.

My 5th Gen with UC4 is so buggy. Once week back up camera is black screen. There is recall but only on UC5 which has same issue.
Last year, 3 times auto heated steering wheel , driver heated seat come on. I couldn't turn either one of them off.
Often when driving my IPhone stops working. It's not cable. Nor it is the phone. I have stop, turn truck off, walk away with key for 5-10 mins and it'll work again.
If I'm in truck and turn it off, it won't work. It will charge, Bluetooth will keep working but that's it.
Bunch other crazy stuff.

I have few friends with UC5 systems and theirs are way worse. This new Truck is supposed to have 'share' key thing, like Tesla/KIA and others have.
I guess Ram wants thief's to be able to steal your truck faster then 30 seconds it takes now to do.

Looks nice inside, not that much different than current, just more screens.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I like it, well, at least the idea. Range anxiety, recharge times, and on-the-road charger locating are all gone (I got the feeling RAM was listening to us). Looks like the truck can tow most boats and campers so if the truck will do what is advertised it will be a winner as long as the "average person" can afford it (I hope RAM's bean counters hear this). I wonder if it offers regenerative braking, which would offer welcomed braking when towing down long passes.

I am a little disappointed, I wish it was a diesel-powered generator. More fuel efficient and lower RPMs are needed to make power. I'm just a diesel engine lover, I'm sure the V6 gasser will work fine. Now I'm anxious to see TFL get a hold of one of these hybrids and put it through the Ike towing tests.

The bottom line is will it be affordable? It is two years out and that gives inflation another two years to continue on. I'm thinking 100K plus and I'm not seeing pay increases pacing inflation.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
“It is not a PHEV,” said Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis. “It functions as a pure battery electric truck. All of the instantaneous torque, all of the power, everything you’ve talked about already. But without any of the downsides.”

They are calling it "EREV" extended-range electric vehicle, which isn't new. Just not been done in Truck yet.

I have few friends with UC5 systems and theirs are way worse. This new Truck is supposed to have 'share' key thing, like Tesla/KIA and others have.
Hybrid is more of a generic labeling signaling the vehicle has more than one power source for propulsion, in this case, a battery and a generator.

I noticed in the Ramcharger's picture gallery, that there is a door on the front left quarter panel that looks like it hides a recharging port.

As far as Uconnect 5, my 2022 has been flawless except for one time when an over-the-air update broke my 360 cameras. It was promptly fixed by yet another over-the-air update. I've not seen many issues with UC5, at least not on this side of the border.