Ram Hybrid for 2025

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The new Hybrid version of the Ram 1500 sounds like a "Shut Up and take my Money!"

"The Ramcharger combines a 92 kilowatt-hour battery pack with an onboard 130 kilowatt generator powered by a 3.6-liter Pentastar V6, according to the company. The upshot is a targeted 690 miles of range in a truck that promises 663 horsepower and 615 pound-feet of torque while it manages a 0-60 mph time of 4.4 seconds and towing of up 14,000 pounds."

Goes on to say no range anxiety or charging worries. They better ramp up production at the Warren truck plant and watch bot Ford and GM follow suit on building this format.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a winner so far. Let's see what actually ends up in the showroom and what the price is. I agree with Star Deceiver. They need to make these trucks so average people can afford them. 80k is too much for the average Joe.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
The story I was reading, said it's not hybrid. The gas engine doesn't power the wheels. Only charges the battery.
Looks interesting anyway.
They're still calling it a hybrid. PHEV to be exact.
Funny thing, 20 years ago when the Prius fist started really hitting it's stride I said they should just make it fully electric and add a gas powered generator to charge it's battery...
Of every new truck available today the Ramcharger may be the only one I'd be willing to trade the PW for...

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Sounds like a great idea. Also sounds like something they’re going to pass off as an $80k truck, which is a hard pass.
Freight trains have been using that idea for several decades...
Unfortunately everything is expensive anymore...glad I bought my PW when I did-I couldn't afford to get one at today's prices...
But if electrification is the wave of the future I like this application the best...

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They're still calling it a hybrid. PHEV to be exact.
Funny thing, 20 years ago when the Prius fist started really hitting it's stride I said they should just make it fully electric and add a gas powered generator to charge it's battery...
Of every new truck available today the Ramcharger may be the only one I'd be willing to trade the PW for...
Who are "they" ?

Ram isn't.

“It is not a PHEV,” said Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis. “It functions as a pure battery electric truck. All of the instantaneous torque, all of the power, everything you’ve talked about already. But without any of the downsides.”

They are calling it "EREV" extended-range electric vehicle, which isn't new. Just not been done in Truck yet.

But whatever. Funny thing about this new Truck. It's going be all screens, running UC5.

My 5th Gen with UC4 is so buggy. Once week back up camera is black screen. There is recall but only on UC5 which has same issue.
Last year, 3 times auto heated steering wheel , driver heated seat come on. I couldn't turn either one of them off.
Often when driving my IPhone stops working. It's not cable. Nor it is the phone. I have stop, turn truck off, walk away with key for 5-10 mins and it'll work again.
If I'm in truck and turn it off, it won't work. It will charge, Bluetooth will keep working but that's it.
Bunch other crazy stuff.

I have few friends with UC5 systems and theirs are way worse. This new Truck is supposed to have 'share' key thing, like Tesla/KIA and others have.
I guess Ram wants thief's to be able to steal your truck faster then 30 seconds it takes now to do.

Looks nice inside, not that much different than current, just more screens.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I like it, well, at least the idea. Range anxiety, recharge times, and on-the-road charger locating are all gone (I got the feeling RAM was listening to us). Looks like the truck can tow most boats and campers so if the truck will do what is advertised it will be a winner as long as the "average person" can afford it (I hope RAM's bean counters hear this). I wonder if it offers regenerative braking, which would offer welcomed braking when towing down long passes.

I am a little disappointed, I wish it was a diesel-powered generator. More fuel efficient and lower RPMs are needed to make power. I'm just a diesel engine lover, I'm sure the V6 gasser will work fine. Now I'm anxious to see TFL get a hold of one of these hybrids and put it through the Ike towing tests.

The bottom line is will it be affordable? It is two years out and that gives inflation another two years to continue on. I'm thinking 100K plus and I'm not seeing pay increases pacing inflation.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
“It is not a PHEV,” said Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis. “It functions as a pure battery electric truck. All of the instantaneous torque, all of the power, everything you’ve talked about already. But without any of the downsides.”

They are calling it "EREV" extended-range electric vehicle, which isn't new. Just not been done in Truck yet.

I have few friends with UC5 systems and theirs are way worse. This new Truck is supposed to have 'share' key thing, like Tesla/KIA and others have.
Hybrid is more of a generic labeling signaling the vehicle has more than one power source for propulsion, in this case, a battery and a generator.

I noticed in the Ramcharger's picture gallery, that there is a door on the front left quarter panel that looks like it hides a recharging port.

As far as Uconnect 5, my 2022 has been flawless except for one time when an over-the-air update broke my 360 cameras. It was promptly fixed by yet another over-the-air update. I've not seen many issues with UC5, at least not on this side of the border.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
The article on MotorTrend referred to them as a PHEV..
Diesel locomotives are still referred to as Hybrids and they work the same way as the Ramcharger...
(Burn fuel to generate electricity and then use electric motors for the propulsion...)

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha no frigging way. That thing is gonna weigh 8,000lbs and eat tires and brake pads like candy. Not to mention it will likely carry a $20k premium over a similarly equipped gas only Ram... and $20k buys a LOT of gas, even at $5/gal.

Also doesn't resolve the problem of the average EV battery only lasting 10 years. If the engine doesn't power the wheels and that battery goes you've got a really pricey brick on your hands.

IMO this is something Stellantis is going to use as ammo to push back against the ridiculous federal mandates. "See, we tried to tell you, nobody wants these things." They'll end up losing money on every one sold, even with govt subsidy.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The RAM Charger sounds neat. All electric, V6 Powerplant that generates electricity. Looks like You can plug in and charge to whatever capacity and have engine as a backup. But wait: The V6 is a decent motor, but not without it's issues also: Oil leaks-filter stuff, cam stuff. Nothing new there. So what happens, when your V6 dies and/or your battery pack dies. Then you are still in the status mode of the Acronym: FORD. I'll stick with MY early 5th Gen lowly Bighorn, but what do I know, I's a BOIRD.

army turk1.JPG

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hybrid is more of a generic labeling signaling the vehicle has more than one power source for propulsion, in this case, a battery and a generator.

I noticed in the Ramcharger's picture gallery, that there is a door on the front left quarter panel that looks like it hides a recharging port.

As far as Uconnect 5, my 2022 has been flawless except for one time when an over-the-air update broke my 360 cameras. It was promptly fixed by yet another over-the-air update. I've not seen many issues with UC5, at least not on this side of the border.

Anyone can call it whatever they want. The company says it's NOT a PHEV
Based what how it works in the auto world, in my view , they are correct. PHEV has electric motor and (gas or diesel or some other engine type) to power the wheels. This does not.
The gas motor only moves generator which is turn charges the battery. So in your example. It's not hybrid. Generator is not technically a power source for propulsion. Which is why they call it EREV
There are some cars that are Hybrids and EREV in EU and China as example. Electric Motor, Gas Motor (either can move the car) And the gas motor can charge the battery as well as drive the car.

@Fatbob Frank Sorry Don't know anything about trains, not sure how that is really related to this Truck.
I do agree some media is calling it a PHEV. Some are, some aren't. I'm guessing that is why RAM CEO said it's not. I was reading one article that quoted him, and basically said we are going call it PHEV anyway.

This is quoted from Motor1 as example.

/quote
The Ramcharger isn’t a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. The 3.6-liter engine has no mechanical connection to the wheels, as it charges the on-board generator that replenishes the 95-kilowatt-hour battery. Ram is targeting a total range of up to 690 miles between the battery and the charging system, with a 27-gallon fuel tank feeding the V6.

The truck has two electric drive modules (EDM) – 335-horsepower (250-kilowatt) front and 319-hp (238-kW) rear. The Ram can automatically disconnect the front wheels so that they can spin freely to maximize efficiency. The rear EDM is available with an electronic-locking differential.
/quote

I think it's interesting Truck. We'll see how well it does.

@BossHogg I'm guessing your are one of the lucky ones. There are many posts on this forum, lots on another 5th Gen forum I'm on, with people have tons of issues.
There is bulletin/recall for 2022/2023 UC5 for the camera issue, which is same issue on UC4 which isn't being fixed.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So does the v6 motor that charges batteries just run at one rpm the whole time?

That is an interesting Question :)

I was wondering about maintenance which Mr. @turkeybird56 said above.

Like when do you change the oil? anti-freeze? Other maintenance? If you don't actually use the gas engine, does that mean oil will last longer?
Unlike other "Hybrid" cars. If the battery dies, you can use the gas engine, but in this case you can't. If the battery stop works, gas engine isn't going do anything but try to charge a battery that isn't working.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is an interesting Question :)

I was wondering about maintenance which Mr. @turkeybird56 said above.

Like when do you change the oil? anti-freeze? Other maintenance? If you don't actually use the gas engine, does that mean oil will last longer?
Unlike other "Hybrid" cars. If the battery dies, you can use the gas engine, but in this case you can't. If the battery stop works, gas engine isn't going do anything but try to charge a battery that isn't working.
What is crazy: Touting all this Electric Battery Hoo Haa. Run that puppy here in 110 degree heat // Or in Canada at -30F temps. Your lil V6 motor never shut down. Then U also still got the weight of a 27 gallon fuel tank, and the V6 Motor with all the associated items needed for that motor to run: Radiator, bet separate 12V system for the Motor, maintenance, all things needed for the motor to be in the truck PLUS all the added weight of Battery, generator, etc.,. Geez, why not just go out and Buy a V6 truck. Guess I's just a Simple BOIRD that believes in the KISS principle.

ADDED: They gonna put Run/Flat tires on it so U have a chance of running a distance, kinda Like Mixing 2 separate technologies to make others happy. WHY not do the Battery system and just weld a 4500 KW generator in the bed to charge the batteries.,. oh well. Guess they neva hire me to be a RAM engineer, lol.

CAVEAT: Who gonna be able to afford these puppies? Hmmmm, not dis Boird.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
690 miles with a 27 gallon fuel tank. If the first 125 of those miles are pure electric the "generator" is returning 21MPG. That's not very impressive.