RAM made me change to iPhone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
I have no idea why RAM does this but if you use Android Auto you only get half of the 12" screen to use for AA but if you use CarPlay you get to use the full screen. I have no idea why this was done other than it sounds like the devs who wrote Uconnect are just a bunch of Apple fanboys.

Yeah, they didn't really MAKE me switch but I am far too OCD to not be able to use the full screen of my 100k+ truck.

AnthonyRI

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting - I am an avidly anti-apple.... my new truck is on order, so I will be certainly looking into this. I'm very UN-TECHY so it won't take much for me to give up and live with a half-screen if that's the case, but I'll let you know if I figure out anything else different along the way. I have two phones to try it with a Samsung and a Google Pixel so we can see if there's any difference. I had my Samsung hooked up for 2 weeks when I was driving a '24 demo truck but didn't care enough to fool with settings since it was temporary.

OP
OP
Defuse

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
I did a little research before I swapped to Apple. There are ways to make it full screen but you have to buy a wireless adaptor and do some tweaking. I am a super nerd so I don't have an issue doing all of that. I just thought it was stupid for me to have to spend more money on aftermarket (read as suspect Chinese adaptors) parts to make something work that can be enabled by RAM.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Plenty of complaints on the forums about Ram not utilizing full screen AA. Other manufacturers apparently have no issues with it, so it was a decision by Ram for whatever reason. I for one am not a fan if Iphones, so half an android screen is better than a full Iphone screen to me.

OP
OP
Defuse

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Ehh, I’m biased as I’ve only ever had
an I-phone. RAM helped you make a good choice. :cool:

I had the first iPhone and was Android from then until now. Being an IT person I don't like the limitations/restrictions that Apple put on their devices and software. That being said, They have done a good job of making things 'just work', this is something that I am coming to appreciate more and more as I get old and less willing to tinker with stuff.

MD Sledhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
I had the first iPhone and was Android from then until now. Being an IT person I don't like the limitations/restrictions that Apple put on their devices and software. That being said, They have done a good job of making things 'just work', this is something that I am coming to appreciate more and more as I get old and less willing to tinker with stuff.
Right there with you... as an "experienced" IT person (i.e. gray hair), I've come to appreciate something that just works. Yep, the camera is better, battery is probably better, and lots of other things on the Samsung/Android... but the iPhone just works.

Now, if i could just get Ram to tell me why my XM sounds like garbage.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
It would take a lot more to make me quit android phones. easier to add apps I want and remove apps I dont want. also 5 mins. to setup new one and swap everything from the old one. dont have to ever deal with the mother ship. also why I wont upgrade any of my pc's from win7 pro.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
1/2 screen wireless AA in my '22 works great. I know a lot of folks get worked up about it, but it doesn't bother me at all. Certainly not enough to switch smart phone OS's.

I am also an IT guy. Tried an iPhone once a few years ago. All the limitations had me returning it and getting another Android.

zrock

Reaction score
id sell my truck before i purchased a apple product... LOL... I had a iphone for 3 months and that was all i could handle of it before i got rid of it...

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Simp Android auto adapter is all you need. I'd go back to a soup can with a string in it for a phone before I ever use any POS Apple product.

Eddmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Supercharged
I'm curious, I am an Android user and have a '23 TRX. I have always been ok with the 1/2 screen, but my machine has wireless android auto, so wouldn't this be just the same as the android auto adaptor?

OP
OP
Defuse

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
I'm curious, I am an Android user and have a '23 TRX. I have always been ok with the 1/2 screen, but my machine has wireless android auto, so wouldn't this be just the same as the android auto adaptor?

The difference is that with the dongles you potentially have the chance to adjust the resolution of the cast display. I tried a couple of the WirelessAA adaptors. Motorolla and AAWireless. I had various issues with both but ultimately I was able to get the AAWireless one to work the best. This is it. AAWireless Adaptor

Last edited: