Apple CarPlay Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stretch78681

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 squirrel cage
Hello folks,
I am moving to a 2018 Lonestar with 8.4 info center from a 2014 Express with 5. In this move I inquired with previous owner about "CarPlay" He said he didn't know about it. (Old School guy) Looking online it says CarPlay was made available with 2018 models. Mine was built Mid-December 2017. Checking the mother site, they say there are no updates for my 8.4 Uconnect. Downloaded their app and it just wants to sell me SiriusXM-Service. The phone and 8.4 system are sync'd and I can play music and make calls, send texts. Yet, its not using CarPlay, I use the controls on the 8.4 system and the Siri button on the steering wheel.
How do I activate Apple CarPlay in this vehicle?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello folks,
I am moving to a 2018 Lonestar with 8.4 info center from a 2014 Express with 5. In this move I inquired with previous owner about "CarPlay" He said he didn't know about it. (Old School guy) Looking online it says CarPlay was made available with 2018 models. Mine was built Mid-December 2017. Checking the mother site, they say there are no updates for my 8.4 Uconnect. Downloaded their app and it just wants to sell me SiriusXM-Service. The phone and 8.4 system are sync'd and I can play music and make calls, send texts. Yet, its not using CarPlay, I use the controls on the 8.4 system and the Siri button on the steering wheel.
How do I activate Apple CarPlay in this vehicle?
Some early 2018s had USB hubs that would not work for CarPlay even though the radio supports it. To test, you can plug in an android phone and see if Android Auto launches, if so, the radio also supports CarPlay. If you're hub looks like this it won't work until replaced with the newer one (keep reading the thread for details)

OP
OP
stretch78681

stretch78681

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 squirrel cage
Well, after about 45 minutes of aggravation, and pushing every button. I found the CarPlay was turned off in the settings. Once I push the button again to turn it on, it started working. And I attached the AutoSky USB adapter, and I am wireless.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is there some difference between connecting wirelessly to Android Auto & Apple CarPlay on the 8.4 radios?

My '21 Warlock with an 8.4C radio has Android Auto but it's only accessible with a hardwire connection, not via Bluetooth wireless.

The 8.4 is wired only. You can by an aftermarket adapter to make it wireless though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357