2017 Uconnect Android Auto & Apple Carplay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
New member to the RAM Forum's and I had recently installed Android Auto/Apple Carplay into my 2017 RAM 1500 and was wondering if I re-did the installation and recorded a video if anybody would be intrested in seeing the process. I downloaded HULU Live TV and a few other applications and think it is a really cool addition to an already really cool truck. It kept all the factory features while adding Android Auto/Carplay/Google Playstore to my Ipod/USB input and I also have added a front camera to the truck. I use the truck as a farm truck mainly but had decided I needed to do something to fix what I felt like the factory Uconnect system was lacking. The product I installed was by a local company in Dallas and I had gone into the office and asked a ton of questions before purchasing and decided to go this route since I didn't want to get rid of the factory radio and seemed like they had the best product at the time I did my research. If I pull the equipment this weekend should I document the install and share it with y'all in the forums?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wait! You “added” AA/CP to a factory radio? I’m not interested in the process as I have it in my 2018 but I bet a lot of folks would be interested.

OP
OP
Buhshaun

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Yes, it has been rather fascinating.

Attachments

• 1500Uconnect.png
    1500Uconnect.png
    861.5 KB · Views: 100

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would be interested in how this was done. Would it also work on a 2016 with the premium Alpine system?

OP
OP
Buhshaun

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L

So was this a new radio or new parts for a 2017 radio?
It was a T-Harness plugged into the factory radio, retained all the Uconnect features but my USB source now displays Android Auto and has Google playstore too. It's called a VLine and costed me a bit but I think it's been worth it so far. I've had it for 2 months now and rarely use the factory sources anymore.

OP
OP
Buhshaun

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I would be interested in how this was done. Would it also work on a 2016 with the premium Alpine system?
Yes it works with the 2016 system with Alpine, that is the same as the 2017 and I have the Alpine system as well.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It was a T-Harness plugged into the factory radio, retained all the Uconnect features but my USB source now displays Android Auto and has Google playstore too. It's called a VLine and costed me a bit but I think it's been worth it so far. I've had it for 2 months now and rarely use the factory sources anymore.
Oh, systems like this, to add CarPlay/AA to a radio that doesn’t have it, have been out for a long time. Don’t you need a separate knob/joystick to be able to navigate through the CarPlay/AA on the screen (touchscreen doesn’t function for CarPlay/AA)?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ah, I see. One of these?

If I remember correctly they used to make a board you could add to the radio internally too that would function in much the same way and add an Android OS interface to the Uconnect radios.

OP
OP
Buhshaun

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Oh, systems like this, to add CarPlay/AA to a radio that doesn’t have it, have been out for a long time. Don’t you need a separate knob/joystick to be able to navigate through the CarPlay/AA on the screen (touchscreen doesn’t function for CarPlay/AA)?
I use the voice command for NAV and Music and it also uses the tune knob for entering passwords and things of that sort. I also have an air mouse too but rarely use it in all honesty.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish I’d have seen this sooner. Yesterday I installed an add on screen for wireless CarPlay in my wife’s 2014 Durango. Granted it was much cheaper but this system seems much nicer since it uses the stock radio.

OP
OP
Buhshaun

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I was also thinking of going the add on route before I found this. Is the add on with an external screen that you added? I do like having the factory screen but my kids have taken over and I spend majority of the time playing videos for them now. :whymewhyme:

OP
OP
Buhshaun

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Ah, I see. One of these?

If I remember correctly they used to make a board you could add to the radio internally too that would function in much the same way and add an Android OS interface to the Uconnect radios.
Glad I did not have to open up the radio, if it came down to it I would have done it but this was basically a mini computer that I placed in my glovebox. It has USB ports, HDMI in/out, and I haven't really had any HDMI devices to toy around with yet since I downloaded HULU tv directly to it that has been what I primarily have been using. I did play a few movies from USB before downloading HULU.

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

For me the cost ($629) and the lack of touch screen make it not a viable solution for me. I have one of those $100 7" add on screens ....not ideal but it works for carplay and I keep by touchscreen. Hard to argue with the price of hte add on screen.

OP
OP
Buhshaun

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
OP
OP
Buhshaun

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
OP
OP
Buhshaun

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L

For me the cost ($629) and the lack of touch screen make it not a viable solution for me. I have one of those $100 7" add on screens ....not ideal but it works for carplay and I keep by touchscreen. Hard to argue with the price of hte add on screen.
I have heard of some going this route as well. There's many routes to go and I thought this worked best for my applications. Hulu TV is kind of all I am using.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you give us a rundown of how it works? Is it just plugging in a harness? How was the installation? Do you change the source to be able to access touchscreen controls (climate, radio, Sirius, etc)?

OP
OP
Buhshaun

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Can you give us a rundown of how it works? Is it just plugging in a harness? How was the installation? Do you change the source to be able to access touchscreen controls (climate, radio, Sirius, etc)?
The installation was plugging in the included harness and there was another plug for the factory harness to plug back into. All my factory sources are still available and there is two different ways to access them, there is a shortcut on the UI and also I can just push in the left volume knob and it exits to the factory UI. I have Android Auto wired/wireless and have the VR button on the steering wheel controls I can use to ask it to take me places or ask it to place stations on my Pandora. I was also able to download Youtube and HULU as well.