RAM OUT SELLS SILVERADO IN 3RD QUARTER 2020

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goldeneyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn/Longhorn Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
After Chebby beat Ram sales in the first 2 quarters, Ram takes the honors in the 3rd quarter 2020 by about 10,000 sales. Hopefully, they will again take the honors in the 4th quarter sales.....

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Trail Boss did a lot for Silverado sales.
Seems at least one out of every 3 Chevys I see is a TrailBoss.
But, after the initial rush it seems to have tapered off...

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if the reason for out selling Chevy is that they were on strike and then covid so there is a huge shortage of chevy trucks so dealers are not dealing on them. My buddy just sold his 2020 Duramax for to a car dealer (Northwest motorsports) for several thousand more than he paid for it.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually took one for a test drive and came away uninspired. It was the lower level package Trailboss with the smaller engine but I was still expecting more. I test drove it back to back with a new Tundra and liked the Tundra better if that is any indication of how lack luster it felt.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I actually took one for a test drive and came away uninspired. It was the lower level package Trailboss with the smaller engine but I was still expecting more. I test drove it back to back with a new Tundra and liked the Tundra better if that is any indication of how lack luster it felt.
The 5.3 is a great engine, but all new FS Chevy's need the 6.2

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l

What is the point of the trailboss? i dont get it.... its just a regular half ton with some red tow hooks as far as im concerned. it certainly isnt going to compete with the power wagon, or the Raptor, or the TRX. ****, even the Colorado ZR2 has more off road goodies than the "Trailboss"

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I see this come up often. When Ram outsells Chevy and GMC combined It'll get my attention. In the meantime they're still #3.

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Over the summer Ram was buying GM sales with additional rebates of $2,000 for GM truck owners on top of other incentives and finance deals. No doubt they are picking up market share.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
What’s hilarious is that “people” are still buying new vehicles. I like donating Ten grand to just drive it off the lot and pay interest for 8 years.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you have to finance as most do then the off the lot depreciation is countered by the incentives and low financing if you're patient enough and can wait for a good deal to be on. If you're paying cash and not running a business then used makes more sense a lot of times. When I bought mine the difference between 2yr old on the used market in the 40k miles/65k kms range was only 8-9k. So for that 8-9k I got 2 years of use and 65,000km at the best condition and lowest cost of ownership period, the ability to get full replacement coverage for the first 5 years so if I total it I get a brand new current model replacement. Add the fact that it's business use so I get some additional money back in tax savings and although I paid it off in the first year I could have taken advantage of 84month, 2.9% financing, which around here is a lot lower than any regular financing for a vehicle and new made more sense for me.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What’s hilarious is that “people” are still buying new vehicles. I like donating Ten grand to just drive it off the lot and pay interest for 8 years.
If you can find me a truck that's for sale and has just been driven off the lot AND has all the options I'm looking for I'd be happy to buy that truck. Otherwise I have to wait until the truck is 3 years old, almost out of warranty and needs another set of tires before someone's ready to sell it to me. Also, that 10 grand loss after day 1 is a myth. Maybe if someone is paying sticker, but who does that?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The 5.3 is a great engine, but all new FS Chevy's need the 6.2
The 5.3 is a great engine, but it needs to be paired with the 10 speed. The 6.2 is nice but less important than grabbing the 10 speed IMO.

What is the point of the trailboss? i dont get it.... its just a regular half ton with some red tow hooks as far as im concerned. it certainly isnt going to compete with the power wagon, or the Raptor, or the TRX. ****, even the Colorado ZR2 has more off road goodies than the "Trailboss"

The trailboss competes with the one trim you didn't include: rebel.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
The trailboss competes with the one trim you didn't include: rebel.

Thank you! i forgot the rebel. Even then though. i still think the rebel has more off road goodies.

Do they still use that G80 rear end on the Trailboss? like come on. put a proper locking diff in there is you want a "tailboss"

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The rebel has no off road goodies as far as I can tell. A small factory lift, same rear locker as you can get with the off road package on any trim, the same transfer case as the lower trims (which imho is the better case) and some decals. Same idea as GMC AT4. Not saying it isn't a nice truck, but it being any kind of real off road cabable truck is laughable. Chevys zr2 is a capable little off roader and adds limited slip up front. power wagon has real off road goodies with locking front/rear and a winch, the ford tremor package swaps the front end for a limited slip dana60 and lower gears, which might still be too light for that monster diesel. The raptor is a completely different animal as off road goes so why do anything over the top on the f150 the number one seller when they already have an svt vehicle that sets the benchmark in class.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Last month the dealer was trying to get me to trade in and the offer was 30% off sticker or 0% 84 month financing so a 56k sticker truck would come in around 39k if you have the money or finance it yourself. Of course in certain states they tax you on msrp and not sale price with new vehicles so you'd get bent over for the tax on 17k you got knocked off the price adding more to the difference in cost.

Last edited:

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
After Chebby beat Ram sales in the first 2 quarters, Ram takes the honors in the 3rd quarter 2020 by about 10,000 sales. Hopefully, they will again take the honors in the 4th quarter sales.....

They will because the Ram is 10,000 times better. Haha.

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
My 2 cents worth. A couple of factors are driving sales.

1) Ram interiors across the line are more luxurious. The Silverado is really really nice but the interior design looks like it would have been cutting edge 6 to 7 years ago.

2) Price, price, price! Ram has been offering far better discounts and rebates than GM, Ford, Toyota and Nissan.

3) Ram has a far quieter interior than the others for 2020.

I have owned a variety of GM and Ford trucks over the last 40 years. All have been very good. I bought my first Ram 1500 EcoDiesel in 2017. Manufacturer and dealer discounts played into my buying decision back then($23k off of MSRP or $32,700 for a Laramie Crew Cab 4X4). I could not pass that by.

Fast forward 3 years and 63,000 miles to a couple of weeks ago. I increased the size of my travel trailer thereby needing to increase my tow capacity. I ended up at a small dealership in Placerville, CA. I looked at a new Silverado with the 6.2 gas engine. Nice truck with a dated 6 speed transmission. The best I could due was $6k off of MSRP and a reasonable trade in value of $28k.

I made my way to the Ram dealer. Good discounts on 2020 Laramie Hemi 4x4 trucks with the level 2 trim package, tow package and all. Ended up with a $9k discount from MSRP and a trade in value of $31k on my '17. (Cash talks.)

Again, a no brainer. The 2020 is a nicer, quieter and better performing truck (8speed) that the LTZ Chevy I was looking at. (Although not be much). The deciding factor was the huge price difference.

Price matters....