Ram Thinks it's a Liberty or something...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
duneop

duneop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. I'm still waiting for Dodge customer care to get back to me.
I'm pretty sure the dealer called them. They appeared stumped off the get go. I know the dealer mechanic called them because they told him on the phone that he did it wrong. He disagreed and took screen shots of everything he saw and emailed it to them. What Dodge actually told the dealer I'll never know but the dealer told me that Dodge engineering said the only way this could happen is if I plugged a diesel TIPM into my truck. Which is ridiculous obviously. Hopefully Dodge customer care gets to the bottom of it and can find someone who knows how to reprogram the TIPM and or cluster. The dealers answer is just basically replace everything it could be in one shot. I'm hoping that Dodge doesn't work along the same troubleshooting lines. :-(

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
... but the dealer told me that Dodge engineering said the only way this could happen is if I plugged a diesel TIPM into my truck. Which is ridiculous obviously.
Please refresh my memory, did you go to the parts department to buy a TIPM? Did the dealer diag it & install a TIPM? Or did you buy it from elsewhere? As I've asked before, has the TIPM part number been verified to be correct for what your Vin is supposed to have?

If you think you can outsmart the engineers & get around what they are saying about the central module for the vehicle, then let us know.

OP
OP
duneop

duneop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. So it's taken this long but Dodge paid to have my truck taken to a different dealership for more "diagnostics". I told them what was happening. They did whatever Dodge asked them to do. Which I assume is the same thing that has been tried before. This time though Dodge engineering came back and said the vehicle only needs a TIPM. The tech let me look through the starscan settings briefly and I couldn't see a second place to enter a tire size. It was a very brief guided look though. He did mention that there were Dodge engineering tools he could use before replacing the TIPM but that he couldn't find a computer to load them on. The kicker here is that the dealership had none of the old tools. No star mobile and their starscan didn't work. So they borrowed a starscan. Guess where from? From the other dealership I was just at. Lol
I mean I can't win here. The technicians just aren't given the right tools or training to even begin to fix or troubleshoot these issues. My TIPM has probably been flashed so many times I might as well buy a new one anyways. If it fails to fix the issue I'm just going to push it over to the Toyota dealership and see what they'll give me for it on trade. My second child was born last week and I had to pick her up from the hospital in a 10 year old KIA. For me a truck can have lots of payload, a Hemi, 4WD or be able to Ford a river. But if you can't depend on it when you need it then it's useless as a truck. It's unfortunate as it effectively ends a 25 year history as a Dodge enthusiast. But I need a truck that just works. At the very least one that doesn't cost $3000 to change a battery.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Wow that blows man

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
duneop

duneop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Saga Complete

Okay. So the problem is fixed with a new TIPM. It cost me $1600 and change but it's over. I still have the old one. Anyone know if you can sell them for rebuild? Could this have been fixed by programming the TIPM with the engineering software or a starmobile / starscan? Maybe... I'd be especially interested to see what happens when you hook the TIPM up to Dodge's engineering software (Don't know the name). Unfortunately nobody at the dealership I was at could load it. It's been almost three months and a LOT of money. With winter approaching I need my four wheel drive and ABS so this is basically out of apathy that I rest on this solution. I have no more time, energy or money to throw at this thing. I'm very disappointed that the dealerships know so little about the products they sell or service. I can honestly say after this I won't be buying a Dodge again. I just can't afford a vehicle that can suffer a $3000- $4000 bill for having a battery disconnected. I know this problem went pretty high up in the engineering department and they had to call someone in the southern United States to tell them the TIPM will overwrite the cluster. Apparently nobody local knew. That to me screams a problem. With more and more modules and electronics being added to these vehicles annually I'm concerned at the lack of knowledge base here and I fear for the customer who will just be paying to replace useless parts until the problem finally gets fixed (or with my first dealership they just stop trying). Thanks for following me on my journey (liberty or eco-diesel) or whatever other vehicle the truck thought it was Ram fans.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Okay. So the problem is fixed with a new TIPM. It cost me $1600 and change but it's over. I still have the old one. Anyone know if you can sell them for rebuild? Could this have been fixed by programming the TIPM with the engineering software or a starmobile / starscan? Maybe... I'd be especially interested to see what happens when you hook the TIPM up to Dodge's engineering software (Don't know the name). Unfortunately nobody at the dealership I was at could load it. It's been almost three months and a LOT of money. With winter approaching I need my four wheel drive and ABS so this is basically out of apathy that I rest on this solution. I have no more time, energy or money to throw at this thing. I'm very disappointed that the dealerships know so little about the products they sell or service. I can honestly say after this I won't be buying a Dodge again. I just can't afford a vehicle that can suffer a $3000- $4000 bill for having a battery disconnected. I know this problem went pretty high up in the engineering department and they had to call someone in the southern United States to tell them the TIPM will overwrite the cluster. Apparently nobody local knew. That to me screams a problem. With more and more modules and electronics being added to these vehicles annually I'm concerned at the lack of knowledge base here and I fear for the customer who will just be paying to replace useless parts until the problem finally gets fixed (or with my first dealership they just stop trying). Thanks for following me on my journey (liberty or eco-diesel) or whatever other vehicle the truck thought it was Ram fans.

Glad you got it fixed. Almost turned into a mini Soap Opera.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One of those speedo repair shops used to rebuild TIPMs, maybe they still do. Can't recall the name off hand, but before the latest OEM part changes/fixes, it was a fairly common thing on Jeeps. They may be able to help you or answer your questions.

I seem to recall that the vehicle VIN and at least some options (sales codes) are programmed into the TIPM and/or the PCM and other modules get that info from them. Saves reprograming a dozen modules for a config change or parts replacement. Plug the new module in, it gets everything it needs from the vehicle TIPM or PCM, which is good engineering.... I know just enough to be dangerous here. I thought everything was in the PCM, but I guess the TIPM has some.

That place was arspeedometer, but its 2011 or newer, your is a 2009, which may not apply.

Last edited:

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay. So the problem is fixed with a new TIPM.

Glad you got the problem fixed.

What I think is odd is that they don't have a way to send your old piece in for diagnostics and repair.

Its making me rethink that extended warranty I keep getting emails about.

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Boom.

But then, you wonder if that's the plan?

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get me......

My wife thinks I'm mistrusting. Hell, if I hadn't gotten burned a few times I'd be more trusting. Now, I try to avoid problems instead of trying to figure out how to fix them once they occur.

OP
OP
duneop

duneop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife thinks I'm mistrusting. Hell, if I hadn't gotten burned a few times I'd be more trusting. Now, I try to avoid problems instead of trying to figure out how to fix them once they occur.
I honestly try to mitigate as much repair work as possible. Get the fluids changed either at recommended intervals or before, undercoated to determine corrosion, especially in the connectors etc such that go into the TIPM. Take the battery out to avoid electrical damage etc... I mean I honestly can't do more preventative stuff than I have. Still no dice. Sometimes you just bet on the wrong horse I guess.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Okay so here's the scoop. My battery of 7 1/2 years finally died the other week. I went and got another battery and put it in the tuck. Started up fine, at about 10mph all the ABS lights came on. I took it to the dealer. $989 dollars later they told me that Dodge engineering had come back and said my truck thinks it has a diesel transmission in it. It's funny because my truck is an 09 and was not even manufactured when Dodge had a diesel option. They said that the only way this could happen is if I hooked up a Dodge diesel TIPM to my truck (Which is ridiculous and obviously I did not). They said the only way to fix the issue was to buy a new TIPM and instrument cluster at a cost of around $2500 + labour. If nobody on here has a solution for either reprogramming my truck to think that it's a 1500 Larime 5.7L instead of a Liberty or an eco diesel then after 20 plus years as a Dodge enthusiast I'm sorry to say I'll be done with the brand. I'm used to normal maintenance and I'm not new to regular problems but being told I'm into it for now $3500 plus labour to replace a battery ($240 for the battery not included) is ludicrous. If anyone has an 2009 Ram for the love of God do not replace the battery!!! Anyone have any ideas how to tell my Ram it has a Ram transmission instead of the eco diesel or Liberty transmission it now thinks it has without buying a new Ram?

Thanks. :-(
I had a very similar problem... read below to see what happened to me!!

I had a 2006 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi that i bought on 9/19/16 with 176k miles on it. The sticker price was $13k but I ended up paying $8,700 cash for it. In the 3 months I owned it, I only drove it 3k miles, and I had already repaired the passenger side valve cover gasket, all 16 spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel pump gasket, evap canister, rear pinion seal and not to mention I put about $2k worth of mods into it.

Fast forward to the end of November and my passenger low beam stopped working. I changed the bulb. Nothing. So I changed the bulb again, with another new one hoping the new bulb i had bought was bad... no luck.

So I break out the multimeter. The low beam wire has power going to the trucks h13 plug harness right where the bulb goes into. (I had Spyder aftermarket headlights. They used 2 bulbs, an H1 for high and an H1 for low with a splitter that joined into a h13 plug to plug into my trucks harness). Anyways, I tested the low beam wires right at the trucks h13 plug; it had the proper power on the trucks side, but when I tested the low beam wire at the spyder's H13 plug it had no power. I figured it was a bad headlight assembly from Spyder (alot of people say ebay lights are garbage so I figured this was it). So i called the company I bought the lights from, DT Moto, and told them what was going on and they sent me out an entirely new passenger side headlight assembly, which was SUPER cool of them. (A+++ Customer Service to eBay company DT Moto!!!)

Guess what? Didn't work. I was stumped. Fast forward about 2 weeks and it was 12/09/16 and I was due for my very first oil change since buying my truck. So I brought it to the dealer and asked them to diagnose the low beam issue and while they were at it, to diagnose why the heat in my truck was semi-warm on the passenger side, but ice cold on the driverside, even at full running temp. Also made note of my radiator making "bubbling" noises one time when I turned it off and walked by after a 30 minute drive.

Diagnosis? 9 internal failures in the TIPM, all related to the electrical/lighting system, with all of them inactive except the passenger low beam, and right rear brake light, which were active and not working. They told me resetting my TIPM was not an option. Total replacement. $900+ just for the TIPM, then add labor.

It got even worse!! Then they tell me my heater core is bad and I need a new one!!! 8-10hrs of labor, + parts. I was looking at atleast $2,554 in repairs, before anything else that might turn up while repairing the TIPM and Heater Core.

So before I shelled out close to $3k or more, I walked down to the showroom to see if there was any good deals for a new Ram or a lightly used one. I ended up test driving 3 Rams; a 15' QCSB Express 6cyl 8spd 2wd with 31k miles for $21.5k. A 15' QCSB 4x4 Tradesman 5.7l Hemi, 8spd, 3.92's, fully loaded... I mean fully, for $24.5k. And a 12' RCSB Express ST 5.7L Hemi, 3.55's, K&N 63 series Intake, Flowmasters Dual Exhaust, Spray-On Line-X Bed Liner, Lund Tonneau Cover, 32k miles, for $19,900.

Before I even mentioned my trade, or cash down, I got them down to $16,100 on the 2012 RCSB, it's KBB & NADA Retail value is $19,990. I ended up getting $8,600 for my 06 1500 QCSB (I paid $8,700 for it 3 months earlier, so not bad at all considering they knew about the TIPM & Heater Core). Then I threw down the $2.5k I was going to spend repairing my 06 and that left only $5k left of the original $16,100 price. My aunt was with me, long story short she works for the company that owns the dealership so they gave me her employee discount; another $1k off. So now I only have to pay $4k for the 2012 Ram with 32k miles.

On top of all that, I told them the only way I would do the deal was if they swapped the rims on the 12' with my rims on my 06 (ATX Justice 20x9 w/ Cooper Zeon LTZ XL Series 275/60R20 tires) and that I also wanted the Premium, top of the line bumper-to-bumper extended warrenty. They said the wheels could be done, but the warrenty, they couldn't do. It was a $3,750 warrenty package. I told them ok, we'll it was nice talking to ya, I'm going to try my luck elsewhere. (I had no choice, my other truck was completely broken, but the salesman didn't know this). So as I started to leave the used car manager came over to me and said he could do it, but only because my aunt was an employee of the main company.

So after the $4k, tax+title+tags and finance fees, I ended up with a payment of $160/month for 38 months for a total of $6,080. Not bad considering I paid $8,700 for my truck 3 months prior, they gave me $8,600 for my truck, which needed some serious repairs, to the point that if I sold it privately as-is, I would have been lucky to get $4k- $5k.

Long story short; I got a Flame RED 2012 Ram 1500 Express ST RCSB with 32k miles in mint condition and it came with the upgraded EVIC, 355's, K&N 63 Series intake, Flowmasters Dual Exhaust, Lund Tonneau Cover, Spray-On Line-X Bed Liner and a few other factory upgrades and the $3,750 5yr/100k "Platinum" Bumper-To-Bumper Extended Warrenty for free!! Plus I got to keep my 2 week old Wheel/Tire combo, all for $160/month for 38 months totaling $6,080.

Moral of the story.... sometimes a really crappy situation can turn into a blessing in disguise. I went to the dealership depressed, with $3k cash in my pocket ready to fix my truck, but instead I got rid of a truck falling apart, for an almost brand new truck with a 5yr/100k warrenty for $160/month for 38 months.

c77c11887f014dc4bed13b83bd767c0c.jpg
ebcb1b14e0430af6957fb84643f0dc36.jpg
57921efc69f2082314896b0aeede5382.jpg

And, of course, my 06 I ended up trading in.
4fd5c74abb299e247df886abc7b93054.jpg
6d6a92a4a8cdb5ea7896f03fedcfd73a.jpg
4892e636a4ef93d46152b57991ddf4c9.jpg7cab82290ab8caffe6ac28dedfdc8222.jpg

Sent from hell via TapATalk

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great story.
My wife took her Toyota to the dealership for an oil change and came back with a new car.

Can't complain as it gave me an opportunity to buy a new truck. What could she say? lol