Ram truck hard to work on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dale Hartley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like my 2014 Ram 1500 but its very hard to work on and replace parts . I changed the rear shocks out and had to remove the rear wheels and remove the fender liner to get at the shocks then have to remove front wheels and fender liner to replace spark plugs since the engine is almost in the cab. Had a heck of a time replacing oil filter its in a very confined space . Replaced head light bulbs with LED bulbs and had to remove grille and then remove headlight assembly in order to replace old Bulbs. Most difficult vehicle to work on .

Reactions: Mop

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
ah yes, several highly educated engineers thought those were all good ideas, don't count on things getting better anytime soon

Engineers do make mistakes but don't forget the bean counters push them hard to save a nickel where they can. I have seen vehicles where the engine had to be raised or lowered to remove an oil filter...from the 60's. Packaging issues are nothing new but I agree on things being overly difficult like having to remove the entire grill to change headlight bulbs. Bad enough having to remove the housings.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like my 2014 Ram 1500 but its very hard to work on and replace parts . I changed the rear shocks out and had to remove the rear wheels and remove the fender liner to get at the shocks then have to remove front wheels and fender liner to replace spark plugs since the engine is almost in the cab. Had a heck of a time replacing oil filter its in a very confined space . Replaced head light bulbs with LED bulbs and had to remove grille and then remove headlight assembly in order to replace old Bulbs. Most difficult vehicle to work on .

Unfortunate, but it seems most newer vehicles are like this. I've been there on a few of those issues with the Ram, but there are definitely cars out there that are far worse to work on than these (like qwikkota mentioned). Also agree with friednice, not likely to get better.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Removing fender wells for the spark plugs? I just did mine and was done in a hour without removing liner. I dont think it's just ram trucks I think all vehicles in general are going that route. So much tech and extra goodies all shoved under 1 hood

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
The learning curve might be in play here. If you already know that certain parts need to be removed first in order to get at what you want to change, you just go right after them and remove them. It saves a lot of time. You don't have to go through the anguish of trying other things first and then finally figure it out.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love the placement of the oil pressure unit. Was a joy on my vett too.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't really think this vehicle is any more or less difficult than anything else I've ever worked on, except maybe a couple 1970s vehicles with inline 4cyl engines and rear wheel drive simply because there was vast space all around everything and with no A/C and no power steering there weren't even accessories to work around.

Glad we don't have many of those around anymore.

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemispherical combustion chamber
Removing fender wells for the spark plugs? I just did mine and was done in a hour without removing liner. I dont think it's just ram trucks I think all vehicles in general are going that route. So much tech and extra goodies all shoved under 1 hood

I agree just rock the super man pose on top of the rad/grill and your golden, get all tools 10mm and spark plug socket with plugs ready to go your golden

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Removing the grill is optional with the right tools in the toolbox.

fastbike02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I actually find working on my ram a lot easier than the f150 I used to own or the current nissan my daughter drives! also the grille isn't as bad as having to remove the whole front bumper like my coworkers new gm car

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
First time I removed my lights I left grille on. After that I take it off. It’s way too easy to remove lol.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Headlights are a piece of cake. Did them the other day. Watch this guy.

Sorry, but you don't know what a piece of cake is. I could have replaced every headlight bulb in two 2nd Gens in the time it took the guy to replace one in the 4th Gen in the video. Remove the locking collar, pull out the bulb, disconnect connector and bulb, new bulb into connector, push back into assy, relock collar, done. Not the horse **** of turning the wheels, pulling this thing, sliding that thing up, taking out two bolts, pulling out the assy a certain way, blah, blah, blah.

The engineers who came up with this design are incompetent.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Sorry, but you don't know what a piece of cake is. I could have replaced every headlight bulb in two 2nd Gens in the time it took the guy to replace one in the 4th Gen in the video. Remove the locking collar, pull out the bulb, disconnect connector and bulb, new bulb into connector, push back into assy, relock collar, done. Not the horse **** of turning the wheels, pulling this thing, sliding that thing up, taking out two bolts, pulling out the assy a certain way, blah, blah, blah.

You should go get a job for them and make it better :banana-mario:

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Earlier Rams had easy access to the rear of the headlamp assemblies under the hood. When the designers made changes to the outside of the vehicle, it was then the engineers job to make it happen. $0.02

GMcD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think this is bad, try replacing parts on a *** car. Had to replace an alternator that was mounted to the bottom of the damn motor.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Well yeah, sounds like you are describing cars from the 60's. I know they went later than that in terms of simple headlights, but at this point, headlights have been more complicated to change out than that for a looong time on most cars. The headlights on my 66 Buick are a breeze to change out compared to the ram, obviously. And my rams are still way easier to change than my dads Cadillac headlights. So if you're looking at a scale of all time, yeah these are complicated to change. By modern day, say last 20 years or so, they aren't too bad.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Ever have to remove the front right tire to replace a battery.... On my buddy's grand Prix... Yeah thanks GM.
Or on same car, unbolt engine mount from body and unbolt front ofk frame jack car up allowing engine and k frame to hinge slightly to give clearance for rear 2 spark plugs.....

They can be changed without doing this, but there will be blood, thrown wrenches, new words invented and a couple hours wasted.

10 min to change 4 plugs..... 3.5 more hours to change last 2.....

I'll take worrying in an f150 or a ram any day over that gm garbage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007