Ram truck hard to work on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, but you don't know what a piece of cake is. I could have replaced every headlight bulb in two 2nd Gens in the time it took the guy to replace one in the 4th Gen in the video. Remove the locking collar, pull out the bulb, disconnect connector and bulb, new bulb into connector, push back into assy, relock collar, done. Not the horse **** of turning the wheels, pulling this thing, sliding that thing up, taking out two bolts, pulling out the assy a certain way, blah, blah, blah.

The engineers who came up with this design are incompetent.
Well I don't know it takes about 15 minutes a 10 inch extension and 2 beers.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree just rock the super man pose on top of the rad/grill and your golden, get all tools 10mm and spark plug socket with plugs ready to go your golden

I just stood on my cooler from the side. Install 2 spark plugs drink a beer. Fall off the cooler drink a beer lmao. Always start with the back on each side everything else is easy once their out of the way.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Things are not that bad in the RAM. I'm not a mechanic but i've had to learn stuff up from Youtube videos cause i got tired of being ripped off at the dealer and some local shops. I still use couple of shops here and there that i trust and their prices are fair when i'm either lazy or i don't feel i have the skills and i don't want to spend more money on tools :), I've done spark plugs,front/rear rotors and pads, front/rear shocks,front UCA's, rear control arms, rear trackbar, drilled holes in the frame to mount rock sliders,and custom spare carriers, front bumper, rear bumper, etc. All in all is not complicated just different from other vehicles where i've done the same.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nothing new.......And that's why the real mechanics get paid the big bucks:dancingpoop:, was no different back in the 60's and 70's when you had to remove the power brake booster to change the left rear spark plug on a Plymouth Hemi or when you had to remove the left motor mount and jack up the left side of the motor to change the plugs on a Chev Monza V8:roflbow:, or when you had to remove both the exhaust header pipes on a plymouth Roadrunner hemi to get the transmission out for repair.. :grd:etc...........

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Think this is bad, try replacing parts on a *** car. Had to replace an alternator that was mounted to the bottom of the damn motor.

Yep. A friend told me he had to remove a freaking control arm to replace the alternator on his 4.6L Tundra. I was shocked and figured he just didn't know what he was doing. When I googled it I was baffled. The only other option is to pull the radiator. Insane.

This is supposed to help with spark plug removal:

https://smile.amazon.com/GearWrench-80546-8-Inch-6-Inch-Swivel/dp/B0014ZVSVK

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Topside creeper. Makes everything SO much easier. Worth every penny.
41kT2xFBeuL.jpg

GMcD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He said ***! Careful dude the PC police are liable to throw you in jail....... Just kidding. 12/7/41....I haven't forgotten.

lol. I did not say “***” as a derogatory term. I just didn’t feel like typing it out.

E-rok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Headlights are super easy, shocks yea they suck but both of those things are items you probably change out once or twice in the time you own the truck. Big deal. Same with spark plugs.

VCorleone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
I'm new to the RAM 1500 / full size truck / 2017+ technology arena. I think the general industry push is to make it so we won't be able to work on our own vehicles anymore. The computers / electronics are driving that, as well as all the technology crammed into these vehicles. The more advanced they become, the less people there are that can work on them.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Some years of the Malibu require removal of the bumper cover to replace the headlights.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Viper 1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Having done most of my repairs in my earlier years, when you could actually work on your vehicle, I am no longer able to do so, not because I can’t but because the vehicles are no longer serviceable by the “average” truck or car owner. The reason goes beyond the geeks who are wanting to see how tightly they can assemble a vehicle but because the dealer profits have been reduced from the manufacture and by redesigning the serviceable parts to where we have to take it to the dealer that gives the dealer the profits they lost in the MSRP/final sale price vs Dealer cost.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
This all sounds just like my old '15 Silverado too. Need to remove fender wells to get to engine parts. Not really that bad, as it does make it super easier in most cases. I used to have a Honda years ago, had a love/hate for working on it. Loved that the Honda book was extremely detailed and well written, but the steps were numerous for some things making the jobs longer and more tedious. Don't get me started on Toyotas. They are impossible to work on for some tasks, and they are not built nearly as well as they want you to think.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like my 2014 Ram 1500 but its very hard to work on and replace parts . I changed the rear shocks out and had to remove the rear wheels and remove the fender liner to get at the shocks then have to remove front wheels and fender liner to replace spark plugs since the engine is almost in the cab. Had a heck of a time replacing oil filter its in a very confined space . Replaced head light bulbs with LED bulbs and had to remove grille and then remove headlight assembly in order to replace old Bulbs. Most difficult vehicle to work on .

Well THAT is a real disappointment to hear!
I just sold my 2005 1500 SLT and was looking forward to another 19/20 MY sometime soon... One of the thingsi most loved about the 1500 was how easy here t was to get at everything...(except the rear plugs, you're correct there.) (And the downstream bank A O2 sensor - it screws in from on top the pipe - as you lay there facing the bottom of the pipe)

RickH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thinking back to when I had to change the spark plugs on an early '70's Chev V8 van, the owner was gifted with multiple access ports via a hole saw I applied to his inner fender panels, followed up with plastic plugs. Looked factory and nobody complained nor seemed to notice.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
The engineers are told to design the vehicles for ease of production and assembly. Not ease of repair.

Its only going to get worse as technology increases and if people dont complain. There needs to be some kind of backyard mechanic law that allows for easier repair. Also each manufacturer is different. Companies are using their own fluids that cant be bought anywhere else and this too is a problem.

Also, the work you've done isn't that bad. You have never worked on a 4 cylinder car before.

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When my son had to replace headgaskets on one of his Duramax diesels, the manual says:

1) Disconnect batteries

2) Raise the body off the frame