Random BING and ABS/Brake Dash Lights Flash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks man, I will check the truck tomorrow.

Is the speed sensor part of the ABS system? There was one moment where the BING happened, the ABS/Brake lights lit for a moment and the speedo dropped from 60 to ~20 for a split second. This could all just be one sensor crapping out, I hope!

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yes (correct me if im wrong anyone) but your ABS runs from your speed sensor. It reads the speed of your front and rear wheels and applys ABS when the are not the same under braking. Basically if your front wheels lock and rears are still spinning the speed sensors read the difference and engage the ABS system. So your problem could all be the faulty sensor. There is a sensor up front for the front wheels on the wheel bearing, the other is in the rear above the pinion. Either of these could be faulty. Have someone diagnose or try changing yourself. Diagnosis on the front wheel bearing is pretty easy. Jack the front wheels off the ground and wiggle back and forth, up and down. there should be no play. Spin the tire and listen for grinding, not brake drag but a bearing grinding. Good luck man!

OP
OP
D

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Should I try unplugging the sensor at the top of the diff and driving around to see if that changes anything? I mean, it seems like it should at least keep the light and BING on permanently instead of popping up every few seconds, right?

Here are photos under the hood. SO this means I only have rear ABS, right?

gBmdZ.jpg

n5g3B.jpg

0KgqN.jpg

OP
OP
D

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OK, I unplugged the sensor that is located on the top of the rear diff... and two things happened:

The first was what I had hoped... the BRAKE & ABS lights stayed lit and the dinging stopped. So I am pretty sure that replacing that sensor will solve my issue.

The second was that the speedometer didn't stop working! I thought that this was the speed sensor, but obviously that isn't right because the speedo would have died. So I need to order this sensor, but I still am not sure what it is called. Rear ABS sensor?

OP
OP
D

DarrenDriven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Plugged the sensor back in and the dinging resumed... AND my speed started going crazy! Up and down to zero and back to my speed... for a couple of minutes, then the speedo started working correctly again, although the dinging was still randomly sounding every few seconds. SO strange.

Pulled the sensor out of the top of the diff and pulled off the number 5032220a, which Googling resulted in a part number of 05032220AA and the OEM part for sale on Amazon for only $13.72 plus $3.45 in shipping. Ordering it now...

Tife5.jpg