Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys!

New to the forum. Scoured through the posts but couldn’t find the answer I was looking for.

I’m looking at a few different rams right now. But 2 in particular.

I’m a current new business owner and right now have to many vehicles and want to consolidate into a truck that can do everything. Get good mileage, can tow my flatbed with customers cars while not breaking the bank and have it last at least the next 5-10 years. Truck needs to be the rock in my business. (Trailer is about 2500-3000lbs give or take empty)

Currently running my 95 460 gas OBS F250 with a flatbed and between downtime and gas it’s not an effective long term solution.

This brings me to the 2 trucks I’m looking at which are both RCSB trucks.

Truck 1 is a 2015 Ram Sport with 100,000km and is an 8 speed 4x4 with 3.21 gears 5.7 HEMI and tow package with no ITB (integrated brake controller) Has some rust under it but nothing crazy.
I will have to add the ITB in to work with my trailer but otherwise it’s pretty much ready to go and has all the options a sport would have (Heated seats, steering wheel, console, alpine sound etc.) Going for roughly 31,000CAD

Truck 2 is 2016 Express with 68,000km
and is a 6 speed 4x4 with 3.55 gears also with a 5.7 Hemi and tow package and has the ITB. I haven’t seen this truck yet so I’m not sure about the rust situation.
Being an express obviously has less options.

This brings me around to my main 2 questions.

1. What is the better towing setup between the 8speed with 3.21 truck or the 6speed with 3.55’s?

2. Which truck would be the better overall better truck that can do everything well (decent gas mileage, can tow what I need it to and still be able to pleasant to drive and do what I need it to do.)

Would like to hear from owners that have these setup’s. I know it’s a long post. Thank you in advance for everyone’s input!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Even with 3.21’s?
First gear of the 6 spd is about the same ratio as second gear of the 8 spd. Also the staggered between then gears of the 8 spd are more consistent unlike the 6 spd that has a significant drop between 3-4.
Unless your towing through the mountains loaded heavy the 3.21 will be fine, even still I'd foot the bill to swap the gears to 3.92 just to stick with the 8 spd. Not say the 6 spd is a bad transmission just the 8 spd is better.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
You do not need teh added payload of the 3500 so get a 2500 diesel and quit looking a t 5.7 Hemi;s that have most of their pulling power, at much higher RPM's, which will kill fuel economy gains you are seeking.

Between 2 trucks given. buy the better transmission. Difference between the 6 speed and 8 speed is far greater than difference between the 2.55 vs 3.21,

Again, for your situation, neithe is the truck for you. Pulling flatbed trailer with customers Vehicles loaded on top of it.
You need power, at low to mid RPM range.

Reason those who pull buy big gas engines is because fuel is cheaper, initial cost of vehicle is too.
They do not really pull much, often or, #1 reason, they flat out do nto know any better and, when they get Educated, they look for better cheaper options.
Like you are , now.

Diesels cost more initially and fuel is slightly higher but economy is much better and longevity, under constatnly being worked confditions, is much higher.

See many UPS trucks running Gas?

Take a close, hard look at what most of your Competitors run.

OP
OP
G

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You do not need teh added payload of the 3500 so get a 2500 diesel and quit looking a t 5.7 Hemi;s that have most of their pulling power, at much higher RPM's, which will kill fuel economy gains you are seeking.

Between 2 trucks given. buy the better transmission. Difference between the 6 speed and 8 speed is far greater than difference between the 2.55 vs 3.21,

Again, for your situation, neithe is the truck for you. Pulling flatbed trailer with customers Vehicles loaded on top of it.

Reason those who pull buy big gas engines is because fuel is cheaper, initial cost of vehicle is too.
They do not really pull much, often or, #1 reason, they flat out do nto know any better and, when they get Educated, they look for better cheaper options.
Like you are , now.

Diesels cost more initially and fuel is slightly higher but economy is much better and longevity, under constatnly being worked confditions, is much higher.

Thank you for your input! I was definitely considering a diesel. Unfortunately with the cost of diesel and the much more significant upfront cost of a low mile diesel the amount of resources required is not in the cards at the moment. My F250 is a gas truck that makes 420 lb ft with a 4 speed auto if the HEMI makes 410 and has more gears to choose from that seems to be sufficient for the time being as I’m not towing everyday. As my business grows and expands I will certainly be looking into a Cummins 6 speed.

OP
OP
G

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First gear of the 6 spd is about the same ratio as second gear of the 8 spd. Also the staggered between then gears of the 8 spd are more consistent unlike the 6 spd that has a significant drop between 3-4.
Unless your towing through the mountains loaded heavy the 3.21 will be fine, even still I'd foot the bill to swap the gears to 3.92 just to stick with the 8 spd. Not say the 6 spd is a bad transmission just the 8 spd is better.
I follow. Seems the 8 speed is the way to go even if the truck is in overall worse condition.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Like you are , now.

He's in Canada,and the 2500's with a Cummins are way over priced up here in comparision to a gas powered truck.You don't buy much of a Cummins 2500 for under $50,000 up here.You might find a mile'd out 3rd Gen for under that,but you'll be hard pressed to find any decent 4th Gen Cummins at a decent price

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 8 speed. Good fuel mileage. Pulled a 7500 rv behind it. Pulled it fine. The 7th and 8th gear are overdrive gears. When I used the towhaul mode, it never went above the 6th gear. Still pulled fine though. Highest fuel mileage I got on a good day was 21 mpg. Not bad for a half ton truck. Get the 8 speed.

OP
OP
G

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 8 speed. Good fuel mileage. Pulled a 7500 rv behind it. Pulled it fine. The 7th and 8th gear are overdrive gears. When I used the towhaul mode, it never went above the 6th gear. Still pulled fine though. Highest fuel mileage I got on a good day was 21 mpg. Not bad for a half ton truck. Get the 8 speed.
Thank you for your input! That’s what I was wanting to hear! Looks like I may have made up my mind already

OP
OP
G

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He's in Canada,and the 2500's with a Cummins are way over priced up here in comparision to a gas powered truck.You don't buy much of a Cummins 2500 for under $50,000 up here.You might find a mile'd out 3rd Gen for under that,but you'll be hard pressed to find any decent 4th Gen Cummins at a decent price
It’s ridiculous. Saw an 02 3500 6 speed 2WD dually with 150,000km for 50,000$ About a month ago

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Pay close attention to cold start up on that 2015., Failed Lifters and chewed cam shafts, not to mention broken exhaust manifold bolts are known issues.
Rumor hasit, Hemi changed lifters in 2016 and up to help reduce the failed lifter issue.

Another thing, Sport model woudlo have me looking exptremely closely at how many owners and jsut who actually drove it. Daddy.s spoileld Son?

OP
OP
G

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pay close attention to cold start up on that 2015., Failed Lifters and chewed cam shafts, not to mention broken exhaust manifold bolts are known issues.
Rumor hasit, Hemi changed lifters in 2016 and up to help reduce the failed lifter issue.

Another thing, Sport model woudlo have me looking exptremely closely at how many owners and jsut who actually drove it. Daddy.s spoileld Son?
The 2015 does have the most mileage of all the trucks I’m looking at. It is a one owner truck.

I started it for the first time in a while as this truck has been sitting on the lot.
I heard no ticking of any kind. Oil pressure was solid even at idle when hot.

The service records were odd up until 53,000ish then they started to be consistent.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys!

New to the forum. Scoured through the posts but couldn’t find the answer I was looking for.

I’m looking at a few different rams right now. But 2 in particular.

I’m a current new business owner and right now have to many vehicles and want to consolidate into a truck that can do everything. Get good mileage, can tow my flatbed with customers cars while not breaking the bank and have it last at least the next 5-10 years. Truck needs to be the rock in my business. (Trailer is about 2500-3000lbs give or take empty)

Currently running my 95 460 gas OBS F250 with a flatbed and between downtime and gas it’s not an effective long term solution.

This brings me to the 2 trucks I’m looking at which are both RCSB trucks.

Truck 1 is a 2015 Ram Sport with 100,000km and is an 8 speed 4x4 with 3.21 gears 5.7 HEMI and tow package with no ITB (integrated brake controller) Has some rust under it but nothing crazy.
I will have to add the ITB in to work with my trailer but otherwise it’s pretty much ready to go and has all the options a sport would have (Heated seats, steering wheel, console, alpine sound etc.) Going for roughly 31,000CAD

Truck 2 is 2016 Express with 68,000km
and is a 6 speed 4x4 with 3.55 gears also with a 5.7 Hemi and tow package and has the ITB. I haven’t seen this truck yet so I’m not sure about the rust situation.
Being an express obviously has less options.

This brings me around to my main 2 questions.

1. What is the better towing setup between the 8speed with 3.21 truck or the 6speed with 3.55’s?

2. Which truck would be the better overall better truck that can do everything well (decent gas mileage, can tow what I need it to and still be able to pleasant to drive and do what I need it to do.)

Would like to hear from owners that have these setup’s. I know it’s a long post. Thank you in advance for everyone’s input!
Honestly, it sounds like you are asking a 1500 to do the work of a 2500.
If you are towing heavy everyday, you will be disappointed in the life of the 1500 vs. a 2500.
If it is only going to be for a short while until the business grows and you can then upgrade to a 2500 or heavier truck, the 1500 might suffice.
On the plus side, you don't have any mountains to really worry about - at least the part of Ontario that I have been through is pretty flat.

The ITBM is a non-issue really, easy to add factory or aftermarket AS LONG AS the factory hitch and plug is there.

If using a 1500 to tow heavy and often, just drive it gently and you should be ok.

The 8 speed is far superior to the 6 speed in just about every way - esp. the 6 speed in the Express.

OP
OP
G

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly, it sounds like you are asking a 1500 to do the work of a 2500.
If you are towing heavy everyday, you will be disappointed in the life of the 1500 vs. a 2500.
If it is only going to be for a short while until the business grows and you can then upgrade to a 2500 or heavier truck, the 1500 might suffice.
On the plus side, you don't have any mountains to really worry about - at least the part of Ontario that I have been through is pretty flat.

The ITBM is a non-issue really, easy to add factory or aftermarket AS LONG AS the factory hitch and plug is there.

If using a 1500 to tow heavy and often, just drive it gently and you should be ok.

The 8 speed is far superior to the 6 speed in just about every way - esp. the 6 speed in the Express.
You are correct. I currently own a 3/4 ton now and it does tow just fine. Problem is that I don’t like driving it in the winter and it’s been costing more money than it’s making. Hence the choice of doing the best of both worlds and getting a newer 1500 that can haul similar weight.

I don’t tow everyday however I do need the ability to haul cars on my trailer when the time arises. Especially coming into winter.

General consensus seems to me that the 6 speed isn’t even worth looking at even if it is in way better shape.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
You are correct. I currently own a 3/4 ton now and it does tow just fine. Problem is that I don’t like driving it in the winter and it’s been costing more money than it’s making. Hence the choice of doing the best of both worlds and getting a newer 1500 that can haul similar weight.

I don’t tow everyday however I do need the ability to haul cars on my trailer when the time arises. Especially coming into winter.

General consensus seems to me that the 6 speed isn’t even worth looking at even if it is in way better shape.
Basically.
Condition and appearance is not even an issue or should not be. Your greatest need would seem to be reliabliity, for 5 to 10 years, while pulling a flatbed trailer with vehicles on it with lower fuel costs.
asmentoned, 250 will be ebtter tool fro teh job. Diesel 2500 probably besst overall. Or maybe, single axle semi with hydrolic roll off trailer or straight, cab over, 3 car trailer, not sure what your business needs are, exactly.

My biological Dad picked up cars for his carlot, travelled far adn wide to find the deals. He had one ton, stretched frame, with a landoll trailer. That was a really nice setup but limited him to one vehcile on trailer anad one towed behind. Eventually went with single axle semi, cab over, rolled back 3 car trailer. which worked out best, for years.

Good luck ot you adn let us know which ya get.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another option if they are available up north is the 1500 ecodiesel - 1500 comfort, 8 speed, phenomenal fuel efficiency.
Newer the better on this option though.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Ecodiesel w/3.92 gears or find a 1500 hemi with 8 speed and 3.92 gears would be your best all in one option.

People say even the 2500 is much nicer with the 8 speed, but that puts you into an almost new truck as it is a fairly new option.

You don't say if you are towing distances or high speed, so we have to guess lol.