Read passenger brake still sticking 2015 RAM,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sukhoi29SU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L eco diesel
2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman, 3.0L diesel. 20k miles and having brake issues. Heard noise, investigated to find rear passenger brake pads non existent and rotor was gouged. Replaced rotor, pads and parking brake boots. Didn’t fix issue. Did some research and discovered the brake hose issue. Ordered new OEM brake line and replaced that. Still didn’t work. Finally I decided it must be the caliper so I replaced that today. Had the back jacked up and put truck in drive. Both wheels spun. Had wife apply brakes and release and everything appeared to work fine. Put wheel on and drove it and still felt like truck wasn’t accelerating like it should. Parked truck. Rear passenger rotor was much hotter than driver’s side - even after everything being new / replaced. Jacked it up again and put in drive. Rear passenger wheel wasn’t turning anymore. I’m out of ideas. Pilot by trade, not a mechanic - but usually I can figure this **** out - but I’m at a loss here. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

OP
OP
S

Sukhoi29SU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L eco diesel
2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman, 3.0L diesel. 20k miles and having brake issues. Heard noise, investigated to find rear passenger brake pads non existent and rotor was gouged. Replaced rotor, pads and parking brake boots. Didn’t fix issue. Did some research and discovered the brake hose issue. Ordered new OEM brake line and replaced that. Still didn’t work. Finally I decided it must be the caliper so I replaced that today. Had the back jacked up and put truck in drive. Both wheels spun. Had wife apply brakes and release and everything appeared to work fine. Put wheel on and drove it and still felt like truck wasn’t accelerating like it should. Parked truck. Rear passenger rotor was much hotter than driver’s side - even after everything being new / replaced. Jacked it up again and put in drive. Rear passenger wheel wasn’t turning anymore. I’m out of ideas. Pilot by trade, not a mechanic - but usually I can figure this **** out - but I’m at a loss here. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Bump.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like you've done plenty to try to resolve it. I agree these things can be really annoying. I don't know what all you've done, ...so I'll list off a couple things come to mind, per the illustration below:

1) Cable - When you had the system apart, did the cable move freely? Like really freely? Is it possible the cable is partially catching somewhere further upstream?
2) Lever - The lever actuator assembly (#11), was it pretty rusty? I would suggest removing it and greasing it. Sometimes they can get rusty and hang up just enough to not *quite* spring free. At the least make sure there is good grease on the rubbing surfaces. If you did those things, you might consider replacing it.
3) Wear Ridges on Backing Plate - How did the backing plate look? Where the shoes fit against the backing plate, sometimes wear indentions can occur (in the backing plate) and the shoe can't 'get out' of those indentions. Indentions can occur from rust too. If there are indentions, consider carefully working smooth any edges with a dremel or a small grinder. Put a daub of grease on the wear points.
4) Sufficient Spring tension? - Are the springs in the right spot ..so there's enough tension?
5) Test w/o Cable - You could assemble the whole assembly w/o the cable, then actuate the lever with a pliers and go back/fourth a number of times to see if it releases properly ...or catches. If not, it could be in the cable, or further upstream.
6) Compare against the opp side - If you still don't see an obvious issue, You might pull off the cable from the other brake and inspect that. Just in case the cable (or lever actuator) on the other side is the one hanging up ...but affecting the side you've been working on.

I'm sure you've checked some of the things I listed .... hope these help.

1663855109185.png

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, lift up on both rear axles ...in case there is excessive 'freeplay'. The axles DO wear. They're like GM axles where the bearing rides directly on the axle (if it's a Ram 1500). There's always an outside chance a worn axle/bearing *could* possibly cause funky parking brake behavior. At least check it to rule out the possibility.

OP
OP
S

Sukhoi29SU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L eco diesel
Really appreciate the response / I’m going to go mess around with it a bit later and I’ll check these things out. Sure is frustrating - this truck only has 20k miles on it…
Thanks for the info!