Real world numbers from future mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I can see that greg, what you are saying is you spend less time getting up to the rpm, makes sense, but once you are cruising you will still pull higher rpms, for a lot longer time

Yes, but it is more about the load that the engine is pulling rather than the rpm. Something like the difference you feel when going up an incline. You are running the same speed but you are using more gas pedal.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again, the last chart is a old school chart, but if you look at the rpm they say is more for gas economy then you are in the same range as a dodge is with 4:56 gear.
Do not fear the gear!

Im sorry but how exactly are these old school? Because it assumes a 1:1 ratio? The trends wont change, just the numbers.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
You also are not that high up in the rpm range either. Cruisng around when it down shifts into second prime the elms drop even with a higher stall tc. Anything below 60mph is under 2000rpm most of the time its around the 1500-1800rpm range. Above 60mph up to about 75mph you are between 2100-2400rpm when it down shifts. Turn off od and the rpm spikes to close to 2800rpm at 70mph.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Im sorry but how exactly are these old school? Because it assumes a 1:1 ratio? The trends wont change, just the numbers.

Yes I call it old school because it based on the old 1:1 top gear. And Like I said if you use the rpm range they show as economical you are in the same range as the dodge with 4:56, actually somewhat lower. Your truck being heavier than mine would show more of a gain than my lighter truck. Actually if you drove a truck with a gear in it you would immediately understand what I am saying. The tuck has a feeling of being much lighter and the engine is not working as hard as it does with the stock gears.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
If we didn't have the overdrive all your charts and you have said thus far would be correct daniel but because we do have the od that is what makes the difference. The trends do not apply in this case.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, but it is more about the load that the engine is pulling rather than the rpm. Something like the difference you feel when going up an incline. You are running the same speed but you are using more gas pedal.

I think i understand your point now. But with these fuel injected motors i still would think lower rpm would use less gas. We need to send this to mythbusters!

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Yes I call it old school because it based on the old 1:1 top gear. And Like I said if you use the rpm range they show as economical you are in the same range as the dodge with 4:56, actually somewhat lower. Your truck being heavier than mine would show more of a gain than my lighter truck. Actually if you drove a truck with a gear in it you would immediately understand what I am saying. The tuck has a feeling of being much lighter and the engine is not working as hard as it does with the stock gears.

That is a great way to put it right there

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im going to send this discussion to mythbusters tomorrow, but back to helping OE, the amount of money you would spend doing these mods, it would take a whole lotta driving just to recoup that money. I think your best bet is an efan

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
As has been stated, modding for increase mileage only seldom re-coups the cost of the mods. As the OP stated he wanted real numbers and that is what I have provided.

If you are worried about mileage you need something other than a truck. Good luck...

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but since OE was talking about getting an exhaust with more back pressure to get better MPG's, is that true?

I've heard from many people having the back pressure helps, yet some say it doesn't do a darn thing. Right now I'm rolling with a cut off muffler, so I have pretty much no back pressure lol. Is that hurting my MPG's?

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Again I always go back to the "do not mod for mileage, mod to make the truck run better" philosophy. The smoother and more refined you can make it run the better the mpgs will be. Even with your foot burried deep into ghe throttle, if your truck is working more efficiently the hit in the mpgs will still give you better mpg than if you were doing the same thing on a stock truck.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but since OE was talking about getting an exhaust with more back pressure to get better MPG's, is that true?

I've heard from many people having the back pressure helps, yet some say it doesn't do a darn thing. Right now I'm rolling with a cut off muffler, so I have pretty much no back pressure lol. Is that hurting my MPG's?

Do you still have your cats? And is the truck basically stock? If yes and yes you are fine as far as bp goes. If you have headers and no cats and no muffler then you are not doing your self any favors

OP
OP
Oefootball_70

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, this thread blew up.

And Guys I would like to lower my truck. But I just can't find anyone wanting to switch wheels and tires with me that is serious at all.

I mean there are a few on craigslist, but they expect me to just give these things away.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The problem with those rpm charts is that they completely ignore the most important factor- engine load. Reducing your rpm's just for the sake of reducing them will have you lugging along. Hardly a good scenario for the best mpg.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Again I always go back to the "do not mod for mileage, mod to make the truck run better" philosophy. The smoother and more refined you can make it run the better the mpgs will be. Even with your foot burried deep into ghe throttle, if your truck is working more efficiently the hit in the mpgs will still give you better mpg than if you were doing the same thing on a stock truck.

I absolutely agree with this build mentality.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerred17