Rear bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Mason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cumins 12 valve
My ‘97 dually needs a new back bumper. So far no luck finding anything for 2nd generation. I could build one if anyone has plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCGNETO

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 & 99
Engine
5.2 & 5.9
I find nice rear bumpers here in Boise all the time.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a Ranchhand on my 2nd gen and it was an awesome bumper, and didn't break the ban either.

RoboJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
Wish you were about 6 months earlier and about 2000 miles closer to Texas, I had a 6" drop back bumper for my 99 ram that I had on the stand in the pasture for a year, never bothered trying to sell it. Gave it to my cousin not too long ago to get it out of here.

I've no plans, never really used em. They're not hard to make if you've the time.

Far as building them goes, I have a jig (piece of pipe and two 1/2 plates) that I made that holds the mounting portions of the bumper in the correct position, and a template for the section of the mounting plates that needs to clear the coolers. The rest is just patience and personal style. Here's a valuable little tip, in my opinion: plan a 2" receiver hitch in anything you build and rig up an engine hoist to grab it, makes building and installing bumpers a single person job.

Most of the bumpers I made were based on 1/4" wall pipe, with skirting. The last one I made before I got busy in college was a front and back "stealth" style bumper with integral winch cavity. That front one had 1/2" frame rails, a 3/8" center section and 1/4" wings. Back was 5/8" plate from frame to hitch and 3/16 diamond plate skirting everywhere else. She was a beauty, sold the pair to a guy outta Houston for $2k.

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Although I read your post, I think you are looking for a stock bumper. I needed one for my 99 and found none in several bone yards in my area, I did find some new ones for around a hundred and a quarter on ebay and amazon. There were also decent prices on RockAuto.com. They also had aftermarket heavy duty ones that were fairly reasonable. Keep in mind it's the bumper only, no brackets unless you spend more. Of course many or most I am sure are from the Chinesium! Good luck with your quest!