Rear coilovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamBat23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Strictly speaking, is it possible to change the rear shock and the coils and swap it with a IBP Coilovers ?

As far as I'm looking at it, two eyelets for a let's say 10" stroke, adjust height with preload ?

Would it be something to try or total waste ?

Thank you for your advise.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Bulletproof Suspension makes cantilever kits for certain model trucks that use a coilover out back. A shop local to me did a fresh off the dealership lot Tundra TRD pro last year with it and it is pretty impressive. I'm guessing it was well over 15k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q7c4YezTOI

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Strictly speaking, is it possible to change the rear shock and the coils and swap it with a IBP Coilovers ?

As far as I'm looking at it, two eyelets for a let's say 10" stroke, adjust height with preload ?

You could. Or you just get kings triple bypasses with coil rates already worked out and bolt it in. Just do a rear Dirt King kit.

Attachments

• 2ED80A68-1B02-4F16-B8B2-52E9600A87E2.jpeg
    2ED80A68-1B02-4F16-B8B2-52E9600A87E2.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 16

mskembo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bulletproof Suspension makes cantilever kits for certain model trucks that use a coilover out back. A shop local to me did a fresh off the dealership lot Tundra TRD pro last year with it and it is pretty impressive. I'm guessing it was well over 15k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q7c4YezTOI
I was totally into it until they broke out the 24" wheels... Stinking mall crawlers.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Indeed. It was probably built for the purpose of being a showpiece, not necessarily a go-piece. The cantilever setup is pretty neat though, but I am not sure what would be gained by something like that. Camburg designs and builds their race trucks with rear cantilevers, so there must be some sort of purpose behind the concept.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Indeed. It was probably built for the purpose of being a showpiece, not necessarily a go-piece. The cantilever setup is pretty neat though, but I am not sure what would be gained by something like that. Camburg designs and builds their race trucks with rear cantilevers, so there must be some sort of purpose behind the concept.
I think suspension travel in a smaller package. The cantilever is usually not 1:1 so you get more travel with less shock.

I’m pretty sure dirt king used to make a full rear long travel setup with a bed cage that used rear coil overs. GorRacing has a kit for it as well. Albeit very expensive. Lol.

OP
OP
RamBat23

RamBat23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I think suspension travel in a smaller package. The cantilever is usually not 1:1 so you get more travel with less shock.

I’m pretty sure dirt king used to make a full rear long travel setup with a bed cage that used rear coil overs. GorRacing has a kit for it as well. Albeit very expensive. Lol.
Just wondering if it's possible without having to cut and weld anything?
Just bolt on right in place and remove coil springs.
Just thinking it will be less expensive than to buy smoothie shocks and new long travel coil springs.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just thinking it will be less expensive than to buy smoothie shocks and new long travel coil springs.
My bilstein extended length 5160 are 10.9” shock travel so going with a 10” travel shock is just stock travel length. If you want to go true long travel you would need to relocate the upper Mounts. I would think a 12 or 14” travel would be better with the stock mounts but that also depends on how much lift you want and now for a built set are looking around 1300$ and up for the set of coil overs.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Can you weld? Can you calculate spring rates? Can you valve your own shocks? If not it’s def not going to be cheaper than just buying a rear Dirt King kit. We installed the rear kit in a mere hours and it’s done. Just need to fine tune valving.