Rear end flutter/bounce issue HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello RAM fans, I have an issue with my rear suspension. Yes I used the search function and didn't get anywhere. I am familiar with the rear end "death wobble" and I don't think this is it.

I am running the Belltech 965SP drop kit (for 4x4 with the Street Performance shocks, other threads on the forum say that the Street Performance shocks aren't that great) with a Hellwig sway bar and AirLift 1000 helper bags. Also running 22" x 10" SRT10 reps with 305/40R22 Toyo Proxes.

I installed the suspension and my tire setup in summer of 2019 and after going through a bunch of issues with my tires not balancing it seemed like the rear bounce issue was corrected. (The original tire issue was at fault of the company I bought my wheel and tire package. They will remain nameless, however I will never buy from them again and never recommend them. PM if you are interested in knowing who they are. Turns out that the company sent me a bad set of tires. Wheels were not the problem.)

After the tire issue was fixed in late 2019 the rear suspension seemed to be smooth. The front alignment of my truck was also done right after I installed the suspension. Even though the front end was "aligned" I was getting some cupping on the inside of the tires. After a wheel rotation and a second alignment in spring 2020 my front tires/wheels still have some caster, or slight lean in towards the engine. My rears show a little bit of cupping since they were on the front and I am pretty sure that I have some cupping on my fronts now too. My wheels and tires were balanced again this past fall (around Sept-Oct) 2020 which seemed to help for a short time, maybe it was just my perception...

Fast forward to now, I am progressively getting a light flutter/bounce that seems to be getting a little bit worse over time. It seems like it is worse when the truck is cold and things aren't warmed up yet, and feels worse on different roads. It is actually getting pretty annoying because I know it should not ride like this. My wife's 2020 Durango R/T is smooth as hell.

Today I am going to double check my AirLift helper bag air pressures. I usually run between 10-15psi for normal driving. My tire pressure I set at 38psi. I am at the point of spending a bunch of money to fix the bounce or rip everything out and go back to stock or a bilsetin front level with a new wheel and tire set up. It is getting annoying. I absolutely love my truck, love my exhaust, get lots of turned heads, but I am considering selling the truck and getting into something totally different.

Any help will be appreciated!!!

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello RAM fans, I have an issue with my rear suspension. Yes I used the search function and didn't get anywhere. I am familiar with the rear end "death wobble" and I don't think this is it.

I am running the Belltech 965SP drop kit (for 4x4 with the Street Performance shocks, other threads on the forum say that the Street Performance shocks aren't that great) with a Hellwig sway bar and AirLift 1000 helper bags. Also running 22" x 10" SRT10 reps with 305/40R22 Toyo Proxes.

I installed the suspension and my tire setup in summer of 2019 and after going through a bunch of issues with my tires not balancing it seemed like the rear bounce issue was corrected. (The original tire issue was at fault of the company I bought my wheel and tire package. They will remain nameless, however I will never buy from them again and never recommend them. PM if you are interested in knowing who they are. Turns out that the company sent me a bad set of tires. Wheels were not the problem.)

After the tire issue was fixed in late 2019 the rear suspension seemed to be smooth. The front alignment of my truck was also done right after I installed the suspension. Even though the front end was "aligned" I was getting some cupping on the inside of the tires. After a wheel rotation and a second alignment in spring 2020 my front tires/wheels still have some caster, or slight lean in towards the engine. My rears show a little bit of cupping since they were on the front and I am pretty sure that I have some cupping on my fronts now too. My wheels and tires were balanced again this past fall (around Sept-Oct) 2020 which seemed to help for a short time, maybe it was just my perception...

Fast forward to now, I am progressively getting a light flutter/bounce that seems to be getting a little bit worse over time. It seems like it is worse when the truck is cold and things aren't warmed up yet, and feels worse on different roads. It is actually getting pretty annoying because I know it should not ride like this. My wife's 2020 Durango R/T is smooth as hell.

Today I am going to double check my AirLift helper bag air pressures. I usually run between 10-15psi for normal driving. My tire pressure I set at 38psi. I am at the point of spending a bunch of money to fix the bounce or rip everything out and go back to stock or a bilsetin front level with a new wheel and tire set up. It is getting annoying. I absolutely love my truck, love my exhaust, get lots of turned heads, but I am considering selling the truck and getting into something totally different.

You might want to look into a set of Inez relocation brackets.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sounds like you're saying all 4 tires now have cupping, and the fronts continue to cup further.
IMO all new tires with Road Force balancing should solve your problem.
As for the alignment, if you've lowered a 4x4 don't expect it to be correct if aligned to factory specs.
I have a 2/2 drop and told my guy just make them both straight and centered and ignore the specs.
Truck drives true and no vibrations.

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sounds like you're saying all 4 tires now have cupping, and the fronts continue to cup further.
As for the alignment, if you've lowered a 4x4 don't expect it to be correct if aligned to factory specs.
I have a 2/2 drop and told my guy just make them both straight and centered and ignore the specs.

Thanks. I think that's what I am going to have to do with the alignment. Yes I have some cupping on all 4 now, but I can't see dropping ~$1200 on a new set of tires when these don't have that much tread wear on them.

I did check my air pressures in my AirLift bags this afternoon. I hadn't checked them since the change of seasons and I had to add some air.

Bluestarrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Started with a Ground Force 2/3 kit. Really didn't like it at all, didn't lower the front 2" as advertised and ride quality was really harsh. Swapped front out for Max Trac adjustable shocks with factory springs. Trimmed rear springs to achieve desired height. Used sphon adjustable track bar and Inez no cut brackets. Almost where i want it, need to trim rear springs just a little more . I run 22x10 Hellcat lookalike wheels with 305/45R22 tires. Hope to add photos soon. Love me Ram

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

I did get another alignment done which took way longer than needed. Had to go to a non-nationwide mechanic and they got my fronts nearly vertical. Also rotated the wheels/tires. The worst of the tires are now on the rear. Immediately my ride is so much better. Holding out on the relocation brackets just because of how much better it feels and because the remaining light vibration may just be from the insides cupping. However night and day difference driving away from the shop.

I have s 2016 4x4 that i have lowered 3/4 with mixed components. I was very unhappy with the rear performance until I installed a set of Inez no cut relocation brackets. Much better now.

Started with a Ground Force 2/3 kit. Really didn't like it at all, didn't lower the front 2" as advertised and ride quality was really harsh. Swapped front out for Max Trac adjustable shocks with factory springs. Trimmed rear springs to achieve desired height. Used sphon adjustable track bar and Inez no cut brackets. Almost where i want it, need to trim rear springs just a little more . I run 22x10 Hellcat lookalike wheels with 305/45R22 tires. Hope to add photos soon. Love me Ram

I did a lot of research on the cut and no cut brackets and I am holding out a little bit longer before getting a set. I am going to go with the cut brackets when I do since it is a better setup.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like an awesome truck! What shocks in the rear?
Do you have the part number for the max trac adjustable front shocks? I’d really like to look into them.

Bluestarrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rear shocks are the units that came with the Ground Force kit. Can't get the part number on front shocks, my file on truck mods is at work and I'm home for a few days. Contact Max Trac, they only offer one set of adjustable lowering shocks for a 4x4.

gambeno82

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

What up Chester, just a suggestion have you thought about changing your rear control arms to adjustable?? Lifting and Lowering changes alot of normal mechanics about the truck.. just food for thought.

gbark80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every time I have developed any type of suspension wobble, shake or vibration since lowering my ram, it has been tire related every time. First time was a plugged tire that broke a belt and got a bulge in it, second time was just cheap tires that would never balance. Once I put some name brand tires it never came back.