Rear End Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Hey there, I just bought another ram and its a 2009 5.7l 4x4. Previous owner claimed he had the rear differential replaced so naturally i popped the rear diff cover off to inspect it. Well, everything looked beautiful. But when i looked at the yoke i noticed it wasnt seated flush with the diff. A small gap less than 1/2” but I am looking for input and opinions from others. I pulled the driveshaft off real quick to see if there was any vertical or horizontal play in the yoke and it was solid as a rock. The diffs are about the only things I haven’t had the experience to rebuild or repair so I’m not the most keen on it. A diesel mechanic told me that if it doesn’t shake or make any noise or leak to just run it. I have attached an image.

thanks.

3C60DAD7-DE32-4FFA-819E-1B87C5C2BEC7.png

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a seal in there that the yoke machined surface touches. It keeps the gear lube in and water out.
If that was in flush, it would be bad, as it turns and the rest doesn't.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If there's no fluid leaking at all, and there isn't any in or out, up or down play - then yep good to go.

It looks nice and dry.

If dunking it a lot, it might be worthwhile to at least check the oil for water intrusion, if not even change it at the end of every boating season - just like your outdrive if you have an I/O on the boat.

On my 16, there is a drain plug built into the rear - it's easier to change the rear diff oil than it is the motor oil.
If your 09 doesn't have that, it might be good to buy a rear cover that does have a drain plug. Then you can do a simple drain and fill.

OP
OP
Jacob L

Jacob L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Thank you, he said he stripped the two bolts for the recall part-snap ring style pinion nut retainer so i just slapped a new one on and i will check the oil regularly throughout the season.