Rear end rubbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonD29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i replaced my rear brake pads and rotors a few weeks ago, and now when i start up and leave my driveway there is almost a moaning sound coming from the rear that sounds like rubbing. The noise is only there for about 5 seconds before disappearing.

I also hear the same noise after letting off my brake pedal and touching the gas. when slowing down for a red light that soon turns green (slowing down but not coming to a complete stop).

Brakes were properly greased and torqued, and the rotors had been cleaned prior to installation.

The only thing in the installation that i wasnt too fond of, was one of the brake clips that o recieved was slightly bent out of shape, but still better than the old ones i had.

Could it be the brake shoe or a rubbing parking brake? This noise was not present before the new brakes.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Now if im not mistaken, the shoe is basically just a shell right? Would the internal components need replacement?
I need to do mine shortly as the pad must have broken off and was locking up the rear end in reverse but it had the same symptoms otherwise. Easy way to confirm is if you’re driving slowly and lightly push the parking brake. Did you inspect the shoes when you had the rotors off? The pads become brittle and lose adhesion on the casting.
You can get both parking shoes for $30-40 on amazon, extremely common in these trucks around any sort of salt. Reuse components, there are videos on YouTube.

Edit- Assumed 4th Gen, you have drums if older and may just need adjustment.

Last edited: