Rear Locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So after my outing I've been looking into some traction aids. I knew there was little aftermarket support for our 9.25 ZF rear axles. While looking to compare some LSDs I came across this. It's tempting, especially for the price and would be ease of install. I had a lunch box locker in my xj, it took a bit of getting used to but wasn't nearly as intrusive as you'd expect. I do know the longer the vehicle the less agressive they act on the road as the differential doesn't have to differentiate speed between side as aggressively. Might be overkill, but open difs definitely need to be addressed for me, at least in the rear.

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com...-lunch-box-locker-chrysler-925-31-spline.aspx

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was pretty bummed when i bought my ram, to learn that there was no factory e-lock option... shame no one could come up with one. I dont supposed those new 2019 ram e-locks fit in our 4th gen diff case?

I daily my ram on dry pave too much to run a lunch box.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I was pretty bummed when i bought my ram, to learn that there was no factory e-lock option... shame no one could come up with one. I dont supposed those new 2019 ram e-locks fit in our 4th gen diff case?

I daily my ram on dry pave too much to run a lunch box.
I was fully prepared to save up and spring for an arb or something when I got to that point. I really couldn't believe it myself. My truck won't ever get a lunch box locker, I log 40k a year easy, not exactly what I want for this build. Granted it's a step in the right direction, it's still not the option we would like.

I'm gonna look into the rear axles on the 5th gens, tho I don't assume were so lucky. Might just stuff the auburn LSD in the ass end and call it good. The oem LSD seems pretty agressive. Until it's my limiting factor, which it may never truly be, I'll keep my open dif, but now we know there's at least a true locker option for those interested.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Wonder if the guts are the same and they moved to 6 lug shafts. My Google fu is weak tonight. a2f5829b26eb9ae687adff67ec9460f1.jpg

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was fully prepared to save up and spring for an arb or something when I got to that point. I really couldn't believe it myself. My truck won't ever get a lunch box locker, I log 40k a year easy, not exactly what I want for this build. Granted it's a step in the right direction, it's still not the option we would like.

I'm gonna look into the rear axles on the 5th gens, tho I don't assume were so lucky. Might just stuff the auburn LSD in the ass end and call it good. The oem LSD seems pretty agressive. Until it's my limiting factor, which it may never truly be, I'll keep my open dif, but now we know there's at least a true locker option for those interested.

Around this time last year i was up in the rocky mountains here in canada and it was like +20 degrees (celcius you animals :emotions34:) but i came across a bunch of snow covering the road in places. It takes a long time to melt since it snows so much up there through the winter. I stuck er in 4 low and tried to plow my way through with my bone stock sport. Beached myself on the frame and tires were spinning. Ratchet strapped a rolled up tow strap i had to one of my rear wheels, and the one without the tow strap strapped to it got all the power for some reason ‍:disgust:.

Couple of stoned hikers came by thankfully and we pushed it through. Thats the story of how i tore my front bumper off for the 3rd (maybe 4th?) time. Almost made it too, girlfriend was not impressed on that outing.
20180529_110001.jpg 20180529_105953.jpg 20180512_123116.jpg
20180512_142434.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Open or LSD? Assuming open. I'd rather pony up for a bumper and winch and just self extract. LSD has limits and idk how much benefit id truly see vs now for the cost of parts and install. It is comparable to the cost of a bumper and winch.

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wonder if the guts are the same and they moved to 6 lug shafts. My Google fu is weak tonight. a2f5829b26eb9ae687adff67ec9460f1.jpg

I was just reading that thread. I'm definitely curious to know if that ZF diff is the same and if those axles run the same 31 spline on the diff side.

If that e-locker fits I'm willing to bet you'll have to sell your soul to the man at the dealership parts counter to afford it. Who makes the e-lockers for the 2019s? If its eaton you may be able to source them without the mopar stamp and knock a couple hundred off the price tag.

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Open or LSD? Assuming open. I'd rather pony up for a bumper and winch and just self extract. LSD has limits and idk how much benefit id truly see vs now for the cost of parts and install. It is comparable to the cost of a bumper and winch.

I'm open diff. That trick probably would have worked if i had the LSD.

Nothing around i could have slung a winch cable to in that case... Maybe pound a stake into the ground and pray. Im curious about those giant plastic traction aids you throw on the ground in front of your tires too, but theyre rather large so it would be my luck that id get stuck and they would be proped up against my shed at home.

Edit: looking at my picture and thinking back, maybe i could have winched to one of those boulders on the side of the road. I have zero experience with winches.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after my outing I've been looking into some traction aids. I knew there was little aftermarket support for our 9.25 ZF rear axles. While looking to compare some LSDs I came across this. It's tempting, especially for the price and would be ease of install. I had a lunch box locker in my xj, it took a bit of getting used to but wasn't nearly as intrusive as you'd expect. I do know the longer the vehicle the less agressive they act on the road as the differential doesn't have to differentiate speed between side as aggressively. Might be overkill, but open difs definitely need to be addressed for me, at least in the rear.

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com...-lunch-box-locker-chrysler-925-31-spline.aspx

Call those dudes and verify, i don't think you can run an auto locker in the rear diff, or front if there was one because you'll make the traction control go bananas.
The plug and play option is the Mopar LSD, and its not a lot more expensive.
The other route seems a lot more expensive because we have to buy extra parts to mimic the diff in the 11's ?, but i figure maybe doing so will allow you to run either a truetrac or a selectable locker. it was too much money for my likes so i haven't reserached that option with a lot enthusiasm :), specially when the factory LSD is just $500 or so. i have it alreayd anyways, but eventually it'll burn, that's what i love Eaton Trutracs, no clutches to wear down, or an Eaton elocker or ARB locker, those things are forever if you change the fluid as needed and don't go bouncing chit up with the pedal to the metal.

http://www.moes-performance.com/Mopar_Limited_Slip_Diff_2011_up_Ram_1500_9_25ZF_p/9.25zf-lsd.htm

Last edited:

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the factory LSD in mine...and that was a big selling point for my particular truck. At the dealership, I chose the truck with the LSD over the one with the color I wanted, although in hindsight, an LSD install is cheaper than a paint or wrap job, but whatev.

I've noticed it working great and helping a ton...but also noticed it not really being the cat's ass, realizing only lockers would help. So far, I've been able to back out or bail on everything before really getting fuggered.

I do carry around the cheap ebay version of the Maxtrax (X Bull) in my bed almost at all times. the X Bulls get a great review from some real gearhead off road Aussies so that's good enough for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-BULL-San...244927&hash=item4d500ff303:g:NCQAAOSwXoJca9Yf

Wow...they went up in price in the last year. Were about $80 when I bought mine if I remember right.

Anyway, I have nothing smart to add about lockers so I'll just stop there. ;)

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
For what I'm looking to accomplish I think the auburn LSD will work enough to keep me happy. I don't foresee myself wedging this big truck into situations where I'll be lifting tires frequently enough I'd need a locker.

I don't think the traction control would act too weird honestly. It takes alot of wheel spin on my truck for it to actually start to engage and become intrusive. The locker would already be engaged by then and you'd just be doin a full posi slide. Even then I don't think it would disengage unless the driver completely let off, allowed it to disengage and than floored it again. Idk that's just speculation tho.

It's nice to just see that options are becoming available. Hope ARB and Eaton are listening!

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, sweet bumper stitch job, @Kyle McWilliams !

I've stitched it, tore it back off, and stitched it again enough times that it warrented the new bumper you saw in my thread lol

Also when i tore it off, the bolts that connect the bumper to the fenders right beside the headlights literally stretched the metal around those bolt holes. That part of the truck is getting linex anyways so i wrapped a carpenter's hammer in electrical tape to avoid excessive damage and beat them back to flat.

Who's idea was it to make the factory bumpers hang so damn low on a 4x4 truck?

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always carry way to much in my tool box. Air compressor and tire plug kit. 3 tow straps, Shackles, come along, floor jack, cordless impact, shovel, chains for tires, shovel and sand bags in the winter. Never know where I am going to be last min or a buddy calls that he is stuck somewhere. I found lockers will get you in worse situations. Unless your building a full out off road truck lsd is all 90% of people need.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I dont supposed those new 2019 ram e-locks fit in our 4th gen diff case?
At some point I plan on finding out for the sake of curiosity even if I have to be the Guinea pig. Besides the wires going into the housing, I'm not sure what else is different.

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At some point I plan on finding out for the sake of curiosity even if I have to be the Guinea pig. Besides the wires going into the housing, I'm not sure what else is different.

Your diff case already has just a simple rubber plug for checking and filling. Im not really turned off by the idea of poking another hole in the thing.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
From what I've found in my weak Google searches, it seems it's still a 31 spline, 9.25 ZF just went to 6 lug outers now.

Maybe this might be similar to the Rubicon to non Rubicon parts swaps where you have to figure electronics out on your own but the parts fit and function.

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I've found in my weak Google searches, it seems it's still a 31 spline, 9.25 ZF just went to 6 lug outers now.

Maybe this might be similar to the Rubicon to non Rubicon parts swaps where you have to figure electronics out on your own but the parts fit and function.

That's all i would expect. I imagine its either powered and locked, or unpowered and open. It would be as easy as running another lightbar with an aftermarket rocker switch and relay...

Or maybe not.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For what I'm looking to accomplish I think the auburn LSD will work enough to keep me happy. I don't foresee myself wedging this big truck into situations where I'll be lifting tires frequently enough I'd need a locker.

Unless they changed Auburn’s from being cones instead of clutches, they’re junk. They wear fairly quick & are not rebuildable.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found this while scrolling through finding info about the 2019 trucks

25B2860C-D313-4205-8D8A-7702D2891EC8.png