Rear window leak fried my wiring! Car died while driving, now wont start!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tofik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Hello Everyone,

I just realized that the leaking back window is a common issue with 5th gen RAM's, but I wanted to make everyone aware that it can get really bad for some of you because of control modules that are located behind rear seats.

It all happened one day while I was driving to work on a freeway at around 80 mhp. The engine died and the car coasted to a stop. I was able to put it back in park and drive it for another 2 miles to get to my work. But after i parked it, 3 hours later the car would act all crazy, it wouldn't stay running for more than 5 seconds and would just die before I could put it in drive. Got the car towed to a dealership, they investigated the problem and replaced the KIM (keyless ignition module) under warranty, the car was at 35,970 miles. I came back to pick the car up, got it in started the car and the same issue happened, I didn't even leave the parking spot at the dealership. They continued to work on the car, started an engineering claim with RAM headquarters and found some loose wiring in the glove box that supposedly fixed the issue. I picked the car up and it all seemed fine.

About 2 months later I get in my car one morning and it doesn't start at all, the dashboard lights up but nothing else is working. the tow truck driver couldn't even put it in neutral. It gets taken to the same dealership, and they cant communicate with the car, they had to put it on wheel carts to bring it in the shop. They needed to order a new control module that is responsible for communicating with the diagnostic tools, that takes about two weeks. But it finally got there today and once installed I get a phone call that this issue was all caused by a leaking back window, the car is out of warranty and I need to pay out of pocket, but I wasn't told how much yet. The service rep also mentioned that the previous issue was likely caused by this leak as well as the wiring connectors are all rusted and could short the circuits, he also mentioned that all involved modules and connections are located behind the rear seats. Once I heard that, I asked why wouldn't they cover this repair since they failed to identify the cause in previous repair while it was under warranty, but he realized his mistake and started backtracking and saying that the warranty is not retroactive and we do not know for sure what caused the previous issue. The car is now at around 37k miles but within the 36 month warranty period for few more months. I am waiting to get more news today, as the technician is checking if I need a new wiring harness.

It's baffling that they were not aware of this common issue and did not address it earlier... My rear window frame was cracked ever since I remembered and once I brought it up when I was getting an oil change at a RAM dealer but the lady checking me in looked at it and said "we can inspect it but if we don't find anything wrong with it we will have to charge you an inspection fee of $170" She looked annoyed saying this... (but she wasn't annoyed when she kept asking me to fill out the survey and make sure to give her all 10's when I picked the car up...) I figured its not a big deal and left it be as I was not aware of this common issue. Well now I know.

I am waiting to hear what the further news are, but it looks like a nightmare so far. I will make sure to keep this thread updated as this situation develops.

Thanks

bigdodge

Reaction score
They should honor the warranty. They know it is what you brought it in for previously as things don't rust and corrode that bad so quickly. Not to mention the fact that he admits the window frame was cracked and that should have been fixed under warranty as well. Id talk to a lawyer and let them know that. Thay have to power to honor your warranty. I've seen it done plenty.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stay at them it still is under the 3-36 btb warrantee and they know it, any of your work orders state that the window frame was cracked, because now the rear window needs replacement, take it to another dealer if these Rummies don't give you satisfaction.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Contact @RamCares they may be able to provide some assistance,they are on this site . Do not tell the dealer to access them ,it won’t work out for you.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They never fixed the original problem when they replaced the keyless ignition module. I'd be looking into an attorney if they refuse to cover the costs of repairing anything that was water damaged. Stellantis is well aware of the problem, and have covered the cost of replacing the window and repairing anything that was damaged by the water for a lot of 5th gen owners.

OP
OP
Tofik

Tofik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thanks for the replys everyone. I am still waiting on any updates from the dealer. The car has been there for over 2 weeks now. I was only told that it does not need a new harness but a connector and a short section of wiring behind it.

OP
OP
Tofik

Tofik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Stay at them it still is under the 3-36 btb warrantee and they know it, any of your work orders state that the window frame was cracked, because now the rear window needs replacement, take it to another dealer if these Rummies don't give you satisfaction.
I think Im stuck with them as they already started work on it and also its not drivable.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thanks for the replys everyone. I am still waiting on any updates from the dealer. The car has been there for over 2 weeks now. I was only told that it does not need a new harness but a connector and a short section of wiring behind it.
Hi,
We responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Ram Cares

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
1-800-LEMONLAW. They got me a few grand from Nissan for wipers not functioning correctly

ItsMeKO3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Happened on my 19 before I traded. Water leak corroded something under the rear seat which lead to the truck not recognizing my key fobs. My 20 goes in next week for the leaking rear window.

Bj Binette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That should be a recall. It could potentially leave someone stranded.
Is there a video on how to remove the rear backrest? I have a 21 Tradesman and I've tried but couldn't figure it out. If I can get it, I'll cover up wiring and connectors with plastic just to redirect any possible leaks in the future.