Recalls, lack of parts, and damage to the value of our vehicles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael P Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodeseil
The double edge sword.

Good to see Ram issuing recalls in attempts to repair defective equipment. However, the lack of parts can cause the value of our vehicles to take a hit.

I understand that some states can sell used vehicles with open recalls as long as they disclose it. Honestly, who would pay top end for a vehicle that has open recalls with no replacement parts available?

If you live in a state that does not allow used cars to be sold with open recalls, well I guess you are just SOL.

The high pressure fuel pump recall on my vehicle is over a year old with no replacement parts available. So the value of my truck has been hurt for over a year already. The new crank shaft recall has no replacement parts available. So what, is the value of my truck going to continue to take a hit for another year plus?

Are dealerships, that are in the business to make money, going to give you fair value for a vehicle they may take a hit on? That they may have to let sit for months or a year plus waiting for parts. Unlikely

Article

Do Open Recalls Change a Car’s Trade-in Value?​

“However, owning a car with a recent recall that the manufacturer has not yet solved may trap you with a low trade-in value for several months.”

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dunno... I was raised to solve problems. I had good guidance in that area of life skill development.
You make VALID points but here's my own take: First of all, ALL vehicles with few exceptions are descending value (depreciating) liabilities. Ultimately, they reach a mean value of ZERO.

That said, no one wants the process sped up by outside dynamics beyond our control, such as you mentioned.

Now to my own perspective. My vehicles MUST perform to my needs. Period. This means I'd look high and low for a replacement high pressure pump, devil be damned the recall.

The ability/inability to sell the vehicle is a valid point, but what's the BIG issue? Fix the damned thing. Make it functional. I have zero experience with FCA or Stelantis, but have prior experience with GM and Ford. Those 2 would reimburse me if I'd diagnosed and fixed a problem before it became a recall. Chrysler MIGHT also. You should do research and inquire into what your options are. Mind you, getting reimbursed by the other 3 involved time and documentation. It wasn't an overnight solve, but I, and some of my customers got our money.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
This is what worries me with RFE transmissions and Hemi engines. More failures than service parts were stocked, apparently. So if yours fails, even if you did risk mitigation, you're left high and dry because these are base powertrain components.

OP
OP
M

Michael P Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodeseil
Good points Sherman, and that is what I did with the EGR cooler recall. Mine went out and no updated cooler was available. I had it replaced out of pocket with the know defective design cooler. When it went out the updated cooler was finally available.

These recalls and no parts is becoming the equivalent to your neighbor letting their property go to h*ll, which reduces the value of your home.

These open unresolved recalls are out of my control, but I’m punished for what they do.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good points Sherman, and that is what I did with the EGR cooler recall. Mine went out and no updated cooler was available. I had it replaced out of pocket with the know defective design cooler. When it went out the updated cooler was finally available.

These recalls and no parts is becoming the equivalent to your neighbor letting their property go to h*ll, which reduces the value of your home.

These open unresolved recalls are out of my control, but I’m punished for what they do.
I think comparing neighborhood values to this issue is akin to comparing apples to oranges. Quite a dichotomy there, IMHO.
I am more of a "glass half full" person. Cars are WAY too fungible to get all torqued up over a recall issue and let the circumstances get the better of me. My HOME??? THAT's an entirely different scenario.

badwolfmopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have been a Mopar parts manager since 2002, i have been in parts for 33 years total. it has been bad and getting worse since 2008. parts avaiibilty is a issue for sure. i use my personal card during the month to buy backordered parts from other dealerships ( that we dont have charge accounts with) just to complete repairs... average bill i turn in each month is 10k LOL . recalls are a dragon that i fight daily. suppliers keep getting changed, order allotments keep getting tighter, and ofcourse the UAW is in negotiations with stellantis ( formerly FCA, fromerly Chrysler LLC. formerly Diamler-chrysler ,formerly Chrysler ). we at the dealership level understand the absolute PAIN IN THE A recalls are and we do our best but sometimes there just isn't a chess move to be played. If you need help hit me up here , ill do what i can.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Law Makers don't want go through another Covid enforcement period.
It would kill Logistics, no more drivers

They don't want any Official Doctor to mention that Covid may be spreading, so they have Movie Stars & Cartoon Characters talking about it.
Now Mrs. Biden has it.
Now they are discussing in Congress, how to highly suggest that people wear masks, without enforcement.

I have been in several medical buildings, no one is wearing masks, except for elderly Orientals, that have worn them since as long ago as the 1960s

When i go past the Pharmacy at my Grocery Store, i look for a sign that reads, new Covid shots available.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully no more mandates, shutdowns and other forms of government induced insanity are on the way.
Law Makers don't want go through another Covid enforcement period.
It would kill Logistics, no more drivers

They don't want any Official Doctor to mention that Covid may be spreading, so they have Movie Stars & Cartoon Characters talking about it.
Now Mrs. Biden has it.
Now they are discussing in Congress, how to highly suggest that people wear masks, without enforcement.

I have been in several medical buildings, no one is wearing masks, except for elderly Orientals, that have worn them since as long ago as the 1960s

When i go past the Pharmacy at my Grocery Store, i look for a sign that reads, new Covid shots available.
The mask mandates were very strictly enforced during the Spanish Flu Pandemic of 1918. MANY people were jailed for not wearing said masks.
Masks failed miserably. The Death toll world wide was estimated at up to 100 million. What makes anyone think things are any better now? The public's short memory? Ignorance? Who knows. I refused to wear a mask, and only did so IF it was to accomplish something (such as a doctor visit).
I really became aware of how Galactically stupid doctors really are.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I really became aware of how Galactically stupid doctors really are.
That's not limited to COVID either. I've had to question my doctors before on their diagnosis/treatments because it's based on a 30 minute lecture they got in med school 30 years ago. You bring up a recent study that contradicts their thoughts/biases and they'll tell you they've never heard of it. Medical knowledge isn't proprietary to those with white lab coats.

Stepping off my soap box now...sorry for going off topic.

Oh yeah, it sucks I can't get recall parts, too.

zrock

Reaction score
its just not Ram that is having this issue ford as well.. Buddy of mine went to trade in his truck on a new and was given a fair trade in value. He went home to think about it and the following week he went to make the purchase and the trade in value dropped 10g. When he asked why he was told that their was a open recall with no parts available so they could be sitting on this truck for some time before they could sell it and would be loosing money as it sits.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's not limited to COVID either. I've had to question my doctors before on their diagnosis/treatments because it's based on a 30 minute lecture they got in med school 30 years ago. You bring up a recent study that contradicts their thoughts/biases and they'll tell you they've never heard of it. Medical knowledge isn't proprietary to those with white lab coats.

Hidden agendas... Doctors are, by and large, on kick backs from big pharma. I read somewhere, that many Docs are averaging 3 million a year in pharma "incentives".

What is the ding-dang deal with auto manufacturers? Greed is likely a major factor. What better way to inflate prices on anything than making said things in short supply? And, oh, BTW, we'll happily sell you another vehicle!

Just thoughts, but there is a thread of connectivity in these 2 different worlds.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Ok, got call BS, on the kickbacks. I am the CFO of a large, (multi billion) dollar health care system that among other things employs over 800 providers (Mds, DOs,APPs) and am required to know and understand such things. No medical provider that I'm aware of, in the 42 years I've been in the business has received $3M from pharma, or any research arm, unless they are in the NIH, doing research full time. Providers doing research full time are scientists not day to day providers. The laws are structured in such a way that we in the business would be under judicial review full time if that happened.

That being said, yes, New strain of Covid, cases are up, double digits percentage points, talk is happening about masks and the coming respiratory season, but NO one wants to revisit 2020 thru 2022.

Common sense is the best solution, which most people will not employ.

I have a 2022 jeep wrangler, less than 5k miles that has an open recall on the clutch ( YES its a manual). I have the transmission out putting a performance clutch and pressure plate in it, as I have zero desire to have it explode on my wife or grandson when she drives her favorite car. Warranty be dammed, their safety is more important than any drivetrain warranty.

My .03.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good points, I am in Canada and around here no Doc is making 3 mil
I thought we where talking trucks and recalls
The Honda waited 8 yrs for the damn air bag fix, anyone that thinks that is done to make money or sell more cars is a idiot, working in the trade for yrs don’t change that

Gary Hogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think many of us are frustrated as you with the overall service both from the dealership and OE. My 19 3500 was at the dealer for nearly three weeks with issues related to the ‘after treatment system’. In the process they managed to find a CP3 high pressure pump and installed it along with a new dpf sensor and engine thermostat, and reprogrammed the ecm. I’m currently on a 1,000 mile road-trip with my fifth wheel, and I’m still not sure it’s operating correctly. I’ve considered trading for a big block gasser, Chevy or Ford.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Couple of things to consider in the Dr discussion....... 1) I had a Dr tell me that they were trained to never say, "I don't know." 2) remember that 50% of the Drs graduated in the bottom half of their class. And 3) keep in mind that Drs are educated, not necessarily intelligent.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
“remember that 50% of the Drs graduated in the bottom half of their class.”

Hmmm not sure this makes sense,
How does that make someone less capable? You can say that about any profession.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
“remember that 50% of the Drs graduated in the bottom half of their class.”

Hmmm not sure this makes sense,
How does that make someone less capable? You can say that about any profession.
Well, maybe you would understand much better if you had been harmed by an incompetent Dr like I was.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357