Remote start, but without a keyfob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick4320

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hey all,

My 2015 2500 did not come with a keyfob, as in I have a regular key for the truck and that's it.I don't even have remote unlock on it, it's a base model tradesman. Back when I got the truck 2020 I did some research, if I remember correctly, Im not really able to convert it to have lock/unlock but I thought I remember something about adding remote start. With some googling tonight into remote starts it seems like every aftermarket product that I find adapts the part to your OEM keyfob, hence my issue.

Does anyone know of a good brand where I don't need the OEM keyfob to have remote start or if that's even possible.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think this is going to work. Don't the physical keys still have a transponder? How would your truck get the transponder signal unless the key is in the ignition?

Probably not going to be possible sadly.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Viper alarm/remote start on my '07 Tundra.

The Tundra had chipped ignition keys and factory FOBs but I tossed the FOBs in a drawer and never used them again.

The OEM FOBs would unlock the truck but not disable the alarm.

You could always ask a store that sells automotive alarms and remote starters, they should know if it's possible.

Then decide if you want to install it yourself or pay for the service.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what he said: Viper