Keyfob Valet Key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Laramie Limited. Both of my OEM key fobs are failing. I was able to program new ones from Amazon using an OBDLink MX+ reader and JScan, but after searching here I’m a bit confused on viable options for the valet key, primarily because I really don’t understand how the valet key can start the vehicle when the battery in the keyfob is dead.

Can I just use the old valet key in the new programmed keyfobs, or are they paired somehow.

Can anyone copy the old valet key (Ace, Home Depot) or do they not handle these type of keys. I see some folks saying they won’t copy car valet keys but others seem to think they will.

Thanks for any help.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The mechanical key is only there in the event your truck's battery is dead and you have not access to the cab and no way to open the hood.

If your truck's battery is good and you open the door with the mechanical key your truck will immediately go to DEFCON 1 and flash all lights and sound the horn, as if it is being broken into.

There is nothing special about the mechanical key and it is not a valet key.

Go ahead, try it. Watch your truck flip out.
Ask me how I know. :rofl:

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought I read somewhere that the butt end of the key, when inserted into a keyfob that has a dead battery, can be used to push the start button and it will start the vehicle. Urban legend?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I thought I read somewhere that the butt end of the key, when inserted into a keyfob that has a dead battery, can be used to push the start button and it will start the vehicle. Urban legend?

I'm getting confused. The butt-end of the FOB can be used to push the START button and start the truck in the event your truck does not detect the FOB and you can't start the truck by pushing the button with your finger.

None of this has anything to do with the mechanical key.
The mechanical key will open your door. There is nothing electronic about the mechanical key.

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No way to know for sure if the battery in the keyfob in this video was actually dead when they did this but this shows what I’m talking about. Several other sites mention this functionality. A keyfob with a dead battery can apparently be used to start the vehicle, and all sites that mention this say the metal key must be inserted in the keyfob for this to work. But I’m not sure exactly how or why it works.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I didn't watch the video. I was recently having troubles with my remotes as well, and had both replaced by a local locksmith who handled the whole job, new fobs, cut the new keys, programming, the works.

I never tried using the butt-end of the remote to push the start button WITHOUT the mechanical key inserted, but I have done it successfully with a dead fob battery, and with a "bad" fob, but the mechanical key was always inside the fob when I did it.

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just found another site that says this works because there’s an RFID chip in the remote (not the key but the remote). So I guess the key shouldn't matter.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just found another site that says this works because there’s an RFID chip in the remote (not the key but the remote). So I guess the key shouldn't matter.

As I said I've never tried it, but this makes sense.