Remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there any way to increase the idle RPM's on a remote start or just starting up. I understand that letting it idle at low RPM's will hurt the engine?

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Assume you are talking about the factory remote start. Any comments about low idle hurting the engine you find on the internet are just based on somebody's opinion...guarantee you there is no true data out there to support that. There is no way that a manufacturer would design or allow something to happen in the design of a new vehicle that would "hurt" the engine, and there is nothing arbitrary about any setting on a new vehicle and that includes idle speed. If there was any significant study that showed this was happening then they would program the ECM to alter the speed.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would have to tune your truck and since yours is a 2017 that would mean a programmer of some kind and a programmable PCM so it won't be cheap.

I believe they have increased the idle speed in the newer trucks and that is where that speculation has come from. I can't remember what year that started but I believe 2017 already has the higher idle.

aimvee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gas.. no.
Diesel? They will high idle on their own with factory remote start

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Your engine should idle at somewhere around 600 RPM, but you can't even go by that.
It is your Oil Pressure that really matters

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
My 2010 high idles on remote start @ 1500rpm for about a minute, drops to 750 for another minute, then settles at 500 normal.
Of course they thought they had to 'fix' that. :rolleyes:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For cold starting, a block heater is arguably better for the engine than remote start. It prevents cold start, and warms the engine oil so that it flows better once you do start the engine. Used to have one on an older vehicle. While inside wasn't warm when I got in, heat was blowing very soon after leaving. If you are concerned maybe install and use that prior to remote starting. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca