Removing 5th wheel hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWDurr57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009/2022
Engine
6.7 diesel
I have a factory install 30K 5th wheel hitch on my 2022 Ram 3500. Has anyone every removed it from the bed of the truck by simply leaving it attached to the trailer and lifting it up by the trailer jacks? The hitch assembly weighs about 225 lbs and picking it up into the bed of the truck can be tricky and I was wondering if on the occasions when I need my full truck bed empty if I left it on the trailer and let it hang. I have a 36 ft 5th wheel trailer weighing in at 15.5K and it has a hydraulic jack system with auto leveling 6 point jack locations.
Just curious if anyone has ever attempted to do this!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a factory install 30K 5th wheel hitch on my 2022 Ram 3500. Has anyone every removed it from the bed of the truck by simply leaving it attached to the trailer and lifting it up by the trailer jacks? The hitch assembly weighs about 225 lbs and picking it up into the bed of the truck can be tricky and I was wondering if on the occasions when I need my full truck bed empty if I left it on the trailer and let it hang. I have a 36 ft 5th wheel trailer weighing in at 15.5K and it has a hydraulic jack system with auto leveling 6 point jack locations.
Just curious if anyone has ever attempted to do this!
I have towed all my life - TT's, goosenecks, and 5ers - and I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before.

OP
OP
D

DWDurr57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009/2022
Engine
6.7 diesel
I completely agree with you, I’ve only been towing for 50 years and haven’t seen it either. I’m just thinking that if the kingpin box is rated for towing 15.5 K why can’t it pick up a 225lbs hitch. Once it’s in the bed of the truck I can unhook it and relocate it to lock it in the truck but I don’t need to dead lift 225lbs 3 feet in the air….Just a thought. Obviously I’m inquiring with the trailer manufacturer as well.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Interesting idea. Never tried it myself, never even though of it. When I was young, 225 was a one hand lift. Now that I am getting old, always looking for easier ways to do things. Give it a try, let us know how it works.

ljheptig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm wondering if you are talking about your 5th wheel hitch being installed into the 4 factory puck holes? Just wonder how hard those would be to get lined back up, to remount it when you are ready to tow again?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm wondering if you are talking about your 5th wheel hitch being installed into the 4 factory puck holes? Just wonder how hard those would be to get lined back up, to remount it when you are ready to tow again?
I'm guessing a lot easier than trying to lift 225 pounds...:cool:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Interesting idea. Never tried it myself, never even though of it. When I was young, 225 was a one hand lift. Now that I am getting old, always looking for easier ways to do things. Give it a try, let us know how it works.
OK, I toss the BS flag on that one. When I was younger I could bench my weight a couple of times in a row. Not gonna say 225# was ever a 1-hand lift, though. :rolleyes:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I completely agree with you, I’ve only been towing for 50 years and haven’t seen it either. I’m just thinking that if the kingpin box is rated for towing 15.5 K why can’t it pick up a 225lbs hitch. Once it’s in the bed of the truck I can unhook it and relocate it to lock it in the truck but I don’t need to dead lift 225lbs 3 feet in the air….Just a thought. Obviously I’m inquiring with the trailer manufacturer as well.
They are, of course, going to tell you no for "safety" reasons. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
D

DWDurr57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009/2022
Engine
6.7 diesel
I would not attempt to line up all 4 puck mounts while is hanging from the trailer. I’d simply back the truck under the hitch, use the trailer jacks to set it on the tail gate, then lower the hitch via the trailer jacks then release it then slide the hitch into the puck system, latch everything down then connect the trailer to the hitch like any other time.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Yes people do it, I've done it. To realign I just get it close and it falls right in. I have the puck system. On my old trucks with rails I got it in the bed and un-latched it then by hand aligned it for the tabs to drop in.

Word of caution/ advice: Put a lock on the latch so that it cannot be released accidentally when it is hanging. Especially if you have kids running around that don't know better.