Removing 5th wheel hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I actually contacted Lippert and they advised I could remove a PullRite 2315 (weighs more than 225). I wasn’t comfortable with how high I had to use the landing gear to accomplish this. I went to Harbor Freight, got a 2 ton engine hoist and use that. Works great.
How does it tow? o_O Just kidding. The one's I've seen hanging are usually in RV parks.

pakuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a factory install 30K 5th wheel hitch on my 2022 Ram 3500. Has anyone every removed it from the bed of the truck by simply leaving it attached to the trailer and lifting it up by the trailer jacks? The hitch assembly weighs about 225 lbs and picking it up into the bed of the truck can be tricky and I was wondering if on the occasions when I need my full truck bed empty if I left it on the trailer and let it hang. I have a 36 ft 5th wheel trailer weighing in at 15.5K and it has a hydraulic jack system with auto leveling 6 point jack locations.
Just curious if anyone has ever attempted to do this!
I did it several times, the biggest problem is lining up under the hitch to reattach it properly. After the third time I quit trying

tgrfan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I have a factory install 30K 5th wheel hitch on my 2022 Ram 3500. Has anyone every removed it from the bed of the truck by simply leaving it attached to the trailer and lifting it up by the trailer jacks? The hitch assembly weighs about 225 lbs and picking it up into the bed of the truck can be tricky and I was wondering if on the occasions when I need my full truck bed empty if I left it on the trailer and let it hang. I have a 36 ft 5th wheel trailer weighing in at 15.5K and it has a hydraulic jack system with auto leveling 6 point jack locations.
Just curious if anyone has ever attempted to do this!
I have done it several times with my old Reese slider and recently with my Companion slider puck system hitch. Sure beats hanging a rope in a tree for me.

DesertDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Turbo Diesel
I don't believe this is a good idea. Even though you're rated at 15.5k, that is a whole different aspect compared to 225 pounds of weight handing DOWN on the king pin. Thinking this would put stresses on the front of your RV that it was never built to handle. You might want to ask that question to experts at RVTravel.com

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I don't believe this is a good idea. Even though you're rated at 15.5k, that is a whole different aspect compared to 225 pounds of weight handing DOWN on the king pin. Thinking this would put stresses on the front of your RV that it was never built to handle. You might want to ask that question to experts at RVTravel.com

If the front frame of your RV can't handle 225 pounds of force pulling down on it the thing would absolutely rip apart while trailering over humps, bumps, dips and anything that puts vertical stress on your rig.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just replaced my OE pin box with an after market one with suspension built in. The OE box maybe weighed 60lbs, and the new one weighed easily 200 plus. Plus when my fat arss is in the bedroom area of that fiver, it supports me just fine. So hanging the hitch, on the pin box isnt a deal breaker with the new modern frames sets.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
I see this quite often. It's a common way to get the hitch out of the truck. Also many times a used fifth wheel will be displayed with the hitch attached. There is no problem just make sure no one fiddles with it and drops it on their foot!

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD