5th wheel camera hookup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYRAM19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wondering if anyone knows if my 2022 RAM 2500 Big Horn has the wiring already in the third brake light for a 5th wheel hook up camera?
Thank you. Kj

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It was an option (towing technology group), so if your window sticker says you have it maybe? Plus it would have a round connector on the rear bumper area for the camera to hook to. Camera NOT included.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Given that this is a new-ish tech, I would say that unless you have the towing tech group, you likely DON'T have the wiring for it already.

That said, I have watched people try to use just those cameras to back up a trailer, and I stick to my opinion that nothing beats practice and patience and a good set of tow mirrors - and a spotter if needed. I haven't personally tried them but I have years of practice backing up trailers, and really other than hitching up I don't really use my standard reverse camera.

Edit: I re-read the OP's post and realized he wasn't talking about the TRAILER mounted camera but the 3rd brake light camera. That camera is...okayish for hooking up a fifth wheel, it gets you close but it isn't perfect for it. It IS very useful for checking on your load/hitch to make sure everything is still good.

I still maintain that the trailer-mounted cameras are only as helpful as your abilities, and if your abilities are lacking then they're useless.

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I can tell you my 2018 that did not come with the 3rd brake camera did not have the harness. I added the harness which runs from the 3rd brake down the C pillar, along the rocker, then up the A-pillar under the dash to the removable panel of the dash that is accessed when the drivers door is open. After the harness install I activated it through AlfaOBD app.
The 2500s up haven't really changed too much so I'd guess you would have to do the same.
Pull the 3rd brake light and look for the plug. No plug means no harness.

There's always this option.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its too bad no one has come out with a harness adapter to plug into the rear camera harness to add that rear trailer camera. That way it would disable the rear OEM camera and recognize the new camera. seems like a simple "plug and play" thing.....no?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
At one time there was an aftermarket set up that allowed you to switch cameras on the Uconnect screen by the flip of a switch. It would go between your tailgate and 3rd brake light. I considered it way back when but I'm not sure if it's still offered. Seems like a pretty decent set up.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
At one time there was an aftermarket set up that allowed you to switch cameras on the Uconnect screen by the flip of a switch. It would go between your tailgate and 3rd brake light. I considered it way back when but I'm not sure if it's still offered. Seems like a pretty decent set up.
There's no need for it now - in the Uconnect screens for the cameras, you can select one, and while the camera is still active there SHOULD be a button that allows you to switch to the other. On my last truck and my current truck, I have had both of these cameras, and switching between them is a simple touch on the screen.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
There's no need for it now - in the Uconnect screens for the cameras, you can select one, and while the camera is still active there SHOULD be a button that allows you to switch to the other. On my last truck and my current truck, I have had both of these cameras, and switching between them is a simple touch on the screen.
Correct. There are 2 soft keys to switch between the 2.

20220629_1332551(1).jpg