Removing paint on top without removing the chrome?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronCarmichael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A couple days ago I bought a 2005 1500 with a 5.7, love it, only had Dakotas before this, but the idiot i bought it from decided to black out all the chrome on the truck, so he just took spray paint and covered all the chrome in a really bad paint job. He didn't tape anything off, so its on the headlights, the hood, everything. Is there any good way to get rid of the paint without affecting the stock body paint or the chrome under it on the bumper or grille?

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the hood and lights you can try rubbing/polishing compound. As for the bumpers, I would just take them off and repaint them the right way, going back to chrome without buying new bumpers might not be possible. (Though I may be wrong so I'd wait for other peoples replies)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Try acetone on the metal and test it on the plastic and painted metal before you go hog wild.

OP
OP
AaronCarmichael

AaronCarmichael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the plastic surprisingly brake clean is working wonders, isn't messing with the fake chrome coating. i tried just normal paint stripper on the metal bumpers, working well.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
sounds like it’s plastidip and not paint.