Repaint a New Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
After mulling this one over, something stinks here. I’ve NEVER pointed out blemishes to customers or had dealers point out blemishes to me, unless there was something I didn’t want them to discover on their own.

Go ask for the sales sheet from the manufacturer to this dealer for the vehicle you bought. Ask for any repair orders related to this vehicle. Basically, make sure it wasn’t a dealer trade which was damaged in transit or by some porter learning to back it in.

Jimbo263

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow good luck with that. This is my first Ram and last Ram. I have a 2020 Ram Sport and every body panel on this truck has fish eye. The fit and finish on these trucks are pure garbage. Yeah they want to make it right Repaint an entire Truck with 5000 miles on it. How about you keep truck and give me another truck without these issues. I told them who is paying me the devaluation of a brand new truck. Yeah that's right crickets. No not happy at all.

Williamsjeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow good luck with that. This is my first Ram and last Ram. I have a 2020 Ram Sport and every body panel on this truck has fish eye. The fit and finish on these trucks are pure garbage. Yeah they want to make it right Repaint an entire Truck with 5000 miles on it. How about you keep truck and give me another truck without these issues. I told them who is paying me the devaluation of a brand new truck. Yeah that's right crickets. No not happy at all.

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Well I once took delivery of a new vehicle and the salesman showed me a tiny scratch in the driver door that didn't go deep enough to show metal and was hard to see. They wanted to repaint the door but I turned them down. My reason was I didn't want to find paint on door gaskets or paint that didn't match. I also knew I would probably get that same scratch in any parking lot by some moron opening their car door when they were parked beside me. Sure enough before the month was up I had another scratch in the same door.
If I were you I would have the hood repainted, but insist they remove the hood to repaint it. As for the tiny "grain of sand" bump I would not have it repaired but would ask for a free lifetime repaint of that problem in writing should I ever change my mind or the defect ever get worse.

DaveZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A good body shop won’t just paint the panel- they’ll blend it in by painting the adjoining panel as well. That said the dealer shop probably won’t do that as it’ll cost them more. I think any shop would only do the hood though

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
All manufacturers make good and bad vehicles. If you have issues after purchase you are right to expect the manufacturers to remedy the defects. And in your original post you stated they are attempting to do just that. Now you’re stating every body panel has paint defects? If the defect is mechanical or electrical, something you can’t see or detect until you start to drive and put it through it’s paces, that’s one thing. But your issue is exterior cosmetics. Did you not LOOK at this truck before signing off on it’s purchase? The more you post, the more angry you get, the less sympathy I’m having for you.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never expect paint perfection on a new vehicle. I don't believe I have ever had a perfectly painted vehicle. I wouldn't repaint for slight blemishes. My 2020 SRT Grand Cherokee has them too.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
All manufacturers make good and bad vehicles. If you have issues after purchase you are right to expect the manufacturers to remedy the defects. And in your original post you stated they are attempting to do just that. Now you’re stating every body panel has paint defects? If the defect is mechanical or electrical, something you can’t see or detect until you start to drive and put it through it’s paces, that’s one thing. But your issue is exterior cosmetics. Did you not LOOK at this truck before signing off on it’s purchase? The more you post, the more angry you get, the less sympathy I’m having for you.

I misdirected this thinking jimbo263 was the OP. My apologies to the OP.

My opinion about jimbo263 not LOOKING at the truck before signing off on its purchase and now getting angry about the paint stands.

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am the OP of this thread, not @Jimbo263. I think you may have us confused. I have only two very minor defects, the rest of the paint is excellent.

My issue is not with RAM, I'm loving my new Limited. I don't even have an issue with the dealer as they're offering to help. My only issue is whether to risk having these two minor issues fixed which is why I'm looking for expert advice on painting.

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never expect paint perfection on a new vehicle. I don't believe I have ever had a perfectly painted vehicle. I wouldn't repaint for slight blemishes. My 2020 SRT Grand Cherokee has them too.
I've never had a perfectly painted vehicle either from any manufacturer. There was always some paint defect I could find or a scratch somewhere. With mass-produced consumer-level vehicles, I think you're lucky if the paint comes out perfect.

While I don't like the minor imperfections in the paint, I probably wouldn't have even mentioned them to the dealer. It was the dealer that insisted on fixing them. They even called the next day to set up the body shop appointment.

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After mulling this one over, something stinks here. I’ve NEVER pointed out blemishes to customers or had dealers point out blemishes to me, unless there was something I didn’t want them to discover on their own.

Go ask for the sales sheet from the manufacturer to this dealer for the vehicle you bought. Ask for any repair orders related to this vehicle. Basically, make sure it wasn’t a dealer trade which was damaged in transit or by some porter learning to back it in.
The vehicle was ordered by this dealer and came directly from RAM to them. It was built on 11/20. There were no previous repair orders.

Again, the damage is not due to any transportation mishap, it's merely two tiny, very minor paint defects that occurred during the factory painting process. Neither defect should ever cause any further issues, it's merely cosmetic.

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As a former very high-end body shop owner, LEAVE IT ALONE! No matter how "good" they are, it is never as good as factory. get a letter from the dealer stating that if it becomes problematic later on, they will repair it.
I agree totally. That would be my approach. Nothing like factory paint. I'm extremely **** and very often see newer cars that have obvious paintwork and it drives me nuts. The paint color and metallic may match perfectly, and then you look down the side of the car and see minor waves and different orange peel from the factory painted panels. To look at that every day would bother me way more than an insignificant grain of sand or unnoticeable blemish on the hood but that's just me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as some saying it would show up on Carfax, I seriously doubt it. I have never seen one that lists any paint only repairs, just collision damage. Not to mention not all dealers or shops report to Carfax. Carson City Dodge where I bought mine doesn't.

But I'm with the poster above. I worked in the collision trade as a body tech my entire life at reputable shops as well as did my share of painting and if the discrepancies are as minor as the op says, just leave it. A few months down the road and you will forget all about them.

Jimbo263

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At hal9001. You are correct. I apologize for throwing my mess in your thread. I was just adding that the factory has no ck system in place for quality. I looked at my truck when first purchased but I didn't really look deep down. I really didn't think that a 50 k truck brand new would have these issues. The dealer has been helpful. The reason it took so long for me to notice anything is cause dealer did all detailing on my truck since new. I decided to clean her up myself 1 morning and that's when I seen the fish eyes on my hood sides and rear. I am furious at That point. So take to dealer and only remedy is repaint whole truck. So I called an attorney and was advised to let them repaint/destroy my new truck. Cause it would take them more than 30 days to get it right or even close. I have a metallic flake paint from factory and they will never get it right like factory. So I will never be satisfied and they would have no option but to get me in another truck 1 way or another. Tailgate as well is not straight at all huge gap on 1 side and they can't fix it. So that's another issue in itself. So hence my earlier rant and frustration with my 1st ram purchase and probably my last.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I think it is very honorable your dealer is on top of this and wants to repair it for you. Let them do it so it's not a problem later and be glad you have a good dealer.

Notch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a former very high-end body shop owner, LEAVE IT ALONE! No matter how "good" they are, it is never as good as factory. get a letter from the dealer stating that if it becomes problematic later on, they will repair it.
Listen to Mr. Alfieri. The repaint clear coat will not last anywhere near as long as the factory paint. If you like the truck and plan on keeping it, live with these small defects. I would be very surprised if the dealer's body shop manager didn't tell you the same thing. Some body shops will no longer do "completes", because the clear doesn't last as long as it used to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88