Repeated DPF System failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpainHorse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
2017 RAM with 6.7 Cummins. At 38K miles I had a complete DPF failure. Ran like S$%T and barely fgot to the dealer at 20 MPH. The Filter had cracked and had to be replaced. It was under warranty. Just prior to total failure the dash read "Exhaust System Service Required. See Dealer" Owner's manual suggests that this means the system has quit working entirely. Same message came on weeks later and at 42K miles, but now out of warranty so I took it to my preferred repair shop - not the dealer. They performed an ECM reflash and the code went out and the dash message did too. Now 5 weeks and 1,000 miles later I got the code and message again. WHAT THE HELL???!!! Anybody know what is going on. I sure don't and apparently 2 shops can't figure out what is going on with my DPF system. Any suggestions?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There are multiple components that make up the emissions system on these trucks. You could have a multitude of issues. You could have a def injector failure, a failed EGR cooler, failed EGR valve, another bad DPF filter, a failing NOX sensor, etc...

Did the last shop specialize in diesels? My suggestion is to take the truck to a shop that specializes in diesel trucks. A lot of independent shops primarily focus on gas engines and they might not have experience with diesel emission systems.

Your options may be limited depending on your state's requirements. You may have to either identify the failed component and replace it, or you might be able to delete the system entirely. That's up to you to decide.

OP
OP
S

SpainHorse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The shop does ONLY diesel. They have worked on a previous Ram 12 valve and a 6.0 powerstroke owned by me. Always did great work. I think deletion is a federal issue not a state one with substantial penalties including fines and jail time.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like I said... whether or not you choose to delete is up to you. I'm not pointing you in either direction.

If you're confident that they've done what they can do then they just need to diagnose what failed this time. These components do fail eventually but typically not this soon and not this often. Something is amiss...... If it were mine, I might take it to a second shop and get another look.

How is the truck used? Is it a grocery getter or is it used to haul? They do need to be worked enough to complete the regen cycles.

OP
OP
S

SpainHorse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
In the shop 1,000 miles ago. Of those last 1,000 miles 350 miles were hauling long distance ( I pull a 4 horse trailer, a boat, a toyhauler loaded, and a utility trailer with motor toys on it, but not all at the same time, it gets worked long and hard) The rest were combo highway, city. The shop believes it is now a failed sensor.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The shop believes it is now a failed sensor.
Since the DPF was recently replaced, more than likely it's the differential pressure sensor or particle matter sensor for the DPF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat