Replaced wheel hub assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thaimex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello all,

My wife and I had vacation plans to Destin, Fl about 2 weeks ago but had to change destinations due to Hurricane Sally. So instead we made plans to vacation in Santa Fe, NM. We left on Monday Oct. 5 at 0600 from out home here in San Antonio, Tx and headed to Santa Fe. Although it was a 10-11 hour drive, we went about to enjoy our vacation. As we made pit stops here and there, i noticed when i turned the wheel to the left all the way, i felt the truck kinda slipped during the turning of the steering wheel. I noticed this several times but didn't know what was going on. So we continued to our destination. We cross into New Mexico and continue to Santa Fe. About 3 hours before reaching Santa Fe, we make a pit stop at a convenience store. When we are ready to leave, i put the truck in reverse and thats when i feel a loud grinding noise on the brake pedal. I go around the block twice and i pull over to see what i can find what is wrong and i even go under the truck but i don't see anything wrong with the truck. i pull back into the store and didn't feel anything anymore, so i tell my wife that we need to get to the hotel in Santa Fe to see what is wrong. We decided to keep going and i kept feeling a little shaking on the steering wheel and we kept going and luckily we didn't have any issues getting to Santa Fe. We get to the hotel and we check in and I pull the truck to the back parking lot and turn the wheel all the way to the left. As my wife gathered all our items to take inside the hotel, I went under the truck and kept looking to see what was going on. I looked above the top of the control arm and noticed 2 small rings laying on top of the control arm. I grabbed the rings and went deeper under the truck when i noticed that Wheel Hub Assembly broke and the bearings were grinding. As we went to drop off our items into the hotel room, i got on my phone and looked to see where the nearest AutoZone was. Luckily, the AutoZone was only 2 miles from the hotel. I call to check to make sure they had the part and they did. We went straight over there, parked under the light and told my wife, im going inside and bought the part and some tools. I started taking apart the wheel, brakes, rotor and the hub assembly. Needless to say, it took me about 1 -1 1/2 hours to replace and we were back on the road. Luckily i had replaced the other wheel hub assembly about 2 years earlier and i knew what i needed to do. After i was done, me and my wife went back to our hotel so i can clean up and take a shower and we still ended up enjoying the rest of the night for our first vacation night in Santa Fe. I want to say a very big Texas size Thank You to the guys at the Autozone on Cerrillos Street in Santa Fe for providing me with whatever i needed to to get the job done. Thank You guys.

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Glad you were able to make your repairs!
I have a question you might be able to answer. I've been noticing a "rubbing " feeling when I make left or right turns. I jacked my truck up and found no "play" in either front tire ...I was thinking that the sound was my front wheel bearings were starting to go south. My Ram is 4wd and I have been told that I will feel that "rubbing " in the front end. I also feel it when coming to a stop.
I bought new wheel hub assemblies. Your thoughts?

I apologize for cutting in on your vacation!

Thanks in advance!

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello all,

My wife and I had vacation plans to Destin, Fl about 2 weeks ago but had to change destinations due to Hurricane Sally. So instead we made plans to vacation in Santa Fe, NM. We left on Monday Oct. 5 at 0600 from out home here in San Antonio, Tx and headed to Santa Fe. Although it was a 10-11 hour drive, we went about to enjoy our vacation. As we made pit stops here and there, i noticed when i turned the wheel to the left all the way, i felt the truck kinda slipped during the turning of the steering wheel. I noticed this several times but didn't know what was going on. So we continued to our destination. We cross into New Mexico and continue to Santa Fe. About 3 hours before reaching Santa Fe, we make a pit stop at a convenience store. When we are ready to leave, i put the truck in reverse and thats when i feel a loud grinding noise on the brake pedal. I go around the block twice and i pull over to see what i can find what is wrong and i even go under the truck but i don't see anything wrong with the truck. i pull back into the store and didn't feel anything anymore, so i tell my wife that we need to get to the hotel in Santa Fe to see what is wrong. We decided to keep going and i kept feeling a little shaking on the steering wheel and we kept going and luckily we didn't have any issues getting to Santa Fe. We get to the hotel and we check in and I pull the truck to the back parking lot and turn the wheel all the way to the left. As my wife gathered all our items to take inside the hotel, I went under the truck and kept looking to see what was going on. I looked above the top of the control arm and noticed 2 small rings laying on top of the control arm. I grabbed the rings and went deeper under the truck when i noticed that Wheel Hub Assembly broke and the bearings were grinding. As we went to drop off our items into the hotel room, i got on my phone and looked to see where the nearest AutoZone was. Luckily, the AutoZone was only 2 miles from the hotel. I call to check to make sure they had the part and they did. We went straight over there, parked under the light and told my wife, im going inside and bought the part and some tools. I started taking apart the wheel, brakes, rotor and the hub assembly. Needless to say, it took me about 1 -1 1/2 hours to replace and we were back on the road. Luckily i had replaced the other wheel hub assembly about 2 years earlier and i knew what i needed to do. After i was done, me and my wife went back to our hotel so i can clean up and take a shower and we still ended up enjoying the rest of the night for our first vacation night in Santa Fe. I want to say a very big Texas size Thank You to the guys at the Autozone on Cerrillos Street in Santa Fe for providing me with whatever i needed to to get the job done. Thank You guys.

Hey, that's what vacations are for, making memories! I jest, but glad you made it safely. Could have been catastrophic........

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
How many miles on the truck? I've done wheel bearing before on a few vehicles and it's not a fun job, but not impossible either. (obviously since you did it in a parking lot)

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As we made pit stops here and there, i noticed when i turned the wheel to the left all the way, i felt the truck kinda slipped during the turning of the steering wheel. I noticed this several times but didn't know what was going on.

Did you hear any squeaking while driving?

Can you elaborate on the slipping feeling?

Good job on fixing this on the road and saving your vacation

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow glad you're ok, that could've been BAD......

How many miles were on the hubs?

Kinda makes me want to do mine preventatively....

OP
OP
T

thaimex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry for the late response guys.
The slipping I felt was the front driver side tire. When I would turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, and backing up, I would feel the driver side tire slipped like if it was on a wet slippery surface. It would feel like it would make like a jerking slip. It wasn’t a long constant slip, just small jerking slip. Notice on the wheel assembly pic, the back cover is missing to cover the bearings and the bearings look like if they were crushed slightly. 6568FC77-866F-4716-98B9-A1BFB5288BBF.jpeg E02355ED-FD39-4167-AC09-9A8F90753272.jpeg 37A6DA8F-CB64-4005-893F-5D90FC58F7E7.jpeg But once I started to turn the steering wheel back to the normal, I wouldn’t feel the slipping anymore. My truck is a 2010 Ram 1500 with 220000 miles on it.

OP
OP
T

thaimex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Glad you were able to make your repairs!
I have a question you might be able to answer. I've been noticing a "rubbing " feeling when I make left or right turns. I jacked my truck up and found no "play" in either front tire ...I was thinking that the sound was my front wheel bearings were starting to go south. My Ram is 4wd and I have been told that I will feel that "rubbing " in the front end. I also feel it when coming to a stop.
I bought new wheel hub assemblies. Your thoughts?

I apologize for cutting in on your vacation!

Thanks in advance!
I’m not too familiar with the 4x4 version since the suspension is different on it on the front. I’ve never worked on a 4x4 vehicle before so I don’t want to give u bad information. But I can tell you this, if it was ur hub bearing assembly, u would hear like a grinding noise not a rubbing noise and u should see some shaving particles between the spinning portions of the hub and the bearings. If u see these shaving particles, then u would need to replace ur hub assemblies.

Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
T

thaimex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How many miles on the truck? I've done wheel bearing before on a few vehicles and it's not a fun job, but not impossible either. (obviously since you did it in a parking lot)
My truck has over 220000 miles on it. I did the passenger side hub assembly about 2 or 3 years ago and now the driver aide went out. I told my wife when we get back home I was going to replace the passenger side too cause i want both assemblies to be replaced at the same time.

OP
OP
T

thaimex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m not too familiar with the 4x4 version since the suspension is different on it on the front. I’ve never worked on a 4x4 vehicle before so I don’t want to give u bad information. But I can tell you this, if it was ur hub bearing assembly, u would hear like a grinding noise, kinda like a rudder noise when ur driving, not a rubbing noise and u should see some shaving particles between the spinning portions of the hub and the bearings. If u see these shaving particles, then u would need to replace ur hub assemblies.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
My truck has over 220000 miles on it. I did the passenger side hub assembly about 2 or 3 years ago and now the driver aide went out. I told my wife when we get back home I was going to replace the passenger side too cause i want both assemblies to be replaced at the same time.

so this wasn't a 50k maintenance issue, but more of a 100k :)

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the late response guys.
The slipping I felt was the front driver side tire. When I would turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, and backing up, I would feel the driver side tire slipped like if it was on a wet slippery surface. It would feel like it would make like a jerking slip. It wasn’t a long constant slip, just small jerking slip. Notice on the wheel assembly pic, the back cover is missing to cover the bearings and the bearings look like if they were crushed slightly. View attachment 224615 View attachment 224616 View attachment 224617 But once I started to turn the steering wheel back to the normal, I wouldn’t feel the slipping anymore. My truck is a 2010 Ram 1500 with 220000 miles on it.

Thanks for the update and the pics

48prerunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wow great parking lot save ! I'm going to start this when the part comes in, Just wish I lived down south up here in the rust belt NY I know this is going to be a pain/ Rotors took a hydraulic puller and air hammer to get off first time.