Replacement PCM/ECU VIN & Mileage updating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MayerMR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 & 2014
Engine
3.7 & 3.0 EcoDiesel
Hey fellas,

I'm changing out the engine & PCM/ECU from my 2005 Ram 1500 3.7L 2wd base model truck with the PCM/ECU and the 4.7L engine from a 2006 Ram 1500. I understand that the VIN and the mileage are stored in the PCM/ECU as well as the engine characteristics and that I will need to get the NEW ECU/PCM updated to reflect that it is now in my truck. I also wanted to get the mileage updated to match the mileage on my odometer (if that is even necessary). The other stumbling block is that the 2006 model year truck that the engine/PCM came from also had electronic locks/key FOB and I *believe* that means it may also have the RFD chip associated it with (SKIM module, maybe?) and that this SKIM function may need to be turned off? My truck has a black, chipless key.

Anyway, that was a longwinded way of getting around to asking my question; do you all have any recommendations of companies where I can send my PCM in and have these services performed? Is there anyone on the forum or supporting vendors that offer this kind of service? I truly, truly, do not want to go to a dealer for this kind of thing if I can help it.

Appreciate any assistance, direction, or advice you can give.

Thank you,

-Matt

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
That 2006 PCM won't work for your 2005 truck. 2006+ was CAN-bus while the 2002-2005s were PCI-bus, which basically means they're speaking two different languages lol

Definitely sell that 2006 PCM and find a 2005 PCM. As for where to send it for programming, I'm not really sure. A lot of people have done PCM swaps in those early years so hopefully they'll know a good place to send em for programming

OP
OP
MayerMR

MayerMR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 & 2014
Engine
3.7 & 3.0 EcoDiesel
That 2006 PCM won't work for your 2005 truck. 2006+ was CAN-bus while the 2002-2005s were PCI-bus, which basically means they're speaking two different languages lol

Definitely sell that 2006 PCM and find a 2005 PCM. As for where to send it for programming, I'm not really sure. A lot of people have done PCM swaps in those early years so hopefully they'll know a good place to send em for programming

Well damn, glad I posted. I actually drove about 30 miles south today to do just what you suggested. I found a 2002 truck, just like mine, but with the 4.7L engine. When I got there the engine was already pulled along with everything else...lucked into finding the PCM sitting on the seat, except it was a JTEC 3-plug unit instead of the NGC 4-plug unit. So I guess that not all 2002 models are NGC...

Do you know if the engine harnesses changed between the CAN-bus to PCI-bus years? I have the engine harness from the 2006 as well.

Thanks much for your input!

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Well damn, glad I posted. I actually drove about 30 miles south today to do just what you suggested. I found a 2002 truck, just like mine, but with the 4.7L engine. When I got there the engine was already pulled along with everything else...lucked into finding the PCM sitting on the seat, except it was a JTEC 3-plug unit instead of the NGC 4-plug unit. So I guess that not all 2002 models are NGC...

Do you know if the engine harnesses changed between the CAN-bus to PCI-bus years? I have the engine harness from the 2006 as well.

Thanks much for your input!

I would imagine they did change the harness in some ways, but not 100% sure. I’d say play it safe and find an 05 harness as well. It’d definitely save you some headache down the road knowing its all made for each other lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk