Replacing spare tire on 2016 Ram with full-size tire/rim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulfj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted this to the Garage forum about a month ago and didn't get any responses. Hoping for better luck over here.

The spare that came with my 2016 1500 Laramie has a nail in it that the shop says they can't plug. The spare tire size, annoyingly, is P235/85/17. Not a tire expert, but I cannot find this tire for much less than $500, which is insane! So, I'd rather just replace it with a full-size rim and buy a tire for it. It'll be cheaper and likely better in the long run.

Will a full-size rim and tire fit where my spare goes under the bed? I'd hate to drop the money (~$100 for the rim and then the tire) and have it not fit.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes it should fit. I replaced my temp spare with a steel wheel and full sized tire. It fit fine but you have to make sure the center hole is large enough for the lift to fit through. The stock wheels have a smaller hole so that’s why I bought a steel spare wheel.

ILLXJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As Lee said it will fit. Mine has a full size spare from the factory.

JIM.

lakingslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just went to the junk yard and picked up a 20inch 5 spoke rim off of a wrecked RAM. I had a blowout about 20k miles ago which I ended up with a new tire. That tire got put on the replacement rim when I put on a new set of tires. The rim and tire fit nicely where the spare goes. It's only about .75 inches wider in diameter. Good luck!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted this to the Garage forum about a month ago and didn't get any responses. Hoping for better luck over here.

The spare that came with my 2016 1500 Laramie has a nail in it that the shop says they can't plug. The spare tire size, annoyingly, is P235/85/17. Not a tire expert, but I cannot find this tire for much less than $500, which is insane! So, I'd rather just replace it with a full-size rim and buy a tire for it. It'll be cheaper and likely better in the long run.

Will a full-size rim and tire fit where my spare goes under the bed? I'd hate to drop the money (~$100 for the rim and then the tire) and have it not fit.
If you have stock 20" tires, you can put a 285/70/17 regular tire on the spare rim to use as a spare only - the rim is too narrow for the tire but it will work fine as a full size spare. A close to new 285/70/17 tire = a used 275/60/20 tire diameter.
If you have stock 17" tires, just put one of those size tires on the spare rim.
OR
A full size spare was an option and can be found at car-part.com if you want to go that route.

Using a normal rim usually doesn't work as the center hole is too small for the winch to go through it. Though some steel rims from past models will work.

If you were closer I have a stock spare (unused temp) on the stock spare aluminum rim sitting out back that you could have.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just went to the junk yard and picked up a 20inch 5 spoke rim off of a wrecked RAM. I had a blowout about 20k miles ago which I ended up with a new tire.

That's what I was going to suggest. Or checking on Marketplace for Ram Spare Tire

OP
OP
P

paulfj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone!! Sorry - just saw these posts. So, the regular tires on my Ram are 275/60/20. I appreciate the suggestions. It seems like the following options, correct?
* Go to the junkyard or similar and get a 20" spare and a new tire for it (assuming it's needed). The risk here is to my original question - will it fit? It basically comes down to the center hole. On my existing spare, the center hole is right at 3"
* buy a new spare rim - just make sure center hole is at least 3"
* I appreciate PacoforTacos' post but I'll admit being too inexperienced to understand that suggestion. Couldn't tell if it was mounting a tire of a slightly different size to the existing spare rim or something else.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't know if you spare tire is a full size, or a temporary "spare". A full size tire, same as your truck will fit in the carrier. Steel wheels will fit fine, but some of the aluminum wheels have a smaller center hole and will not work. Go to the search section and search out "temporary spare tires", and you will tons of information for spare tires.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone!! Sorry - just saw these posts. So, the regular tires on my Ram are 275/60/20. I appreciate the suggestions. It seems like the following options, correct?
* Go to the junkyard or similar and get a 20" spare and a new tire for it (assuming it's needed). The risk here is to my original question - will it fit? It basically comes down to the center hole. On my existing spare, the center hole is right at 3"
* buy a new spare rim - just make sure center hole is at least 3"
* I appreciate PacoforTacos' post but I'll admit being too inexperienced to understand that suggestion. Couldn't tell if it was mounting a tire of a slightly different size to the existing spare rim or something else.
It was mounting a 285/70/17 tire to your original spare rim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357