Resonator delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those of you who have upgraded to a more aggressive sounding exhaust and later decided to delete the resonators, was there any annoying drone that occurred as a result of removing the resonators?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Those of you who have upgraded to a more aggressive sounding exhaust and later decided to delete the resonators, was there any annoying drone that occurred as a result of removing the resonators?

With my magnaflow and resonator on the truck had a very mild growl. No drone. When I removed the resonator (because i wanted louder) the drone was there but not bad. Definitely was there though.

When i went to a SOLO muffler delete kit and no resonator (@Nick@GotExhaust) the sound inside the truck was actually quieter then when I had the magnaflow with no resonator. All the sound is behind the truck.

I think the muffler being under the cab send the droning sound directly into the cab.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup there is. It is especially bad when MDS kicks in.
Ok good to know. The reason I asked is because I'm wanting to swap out my flowmaster super 44 for either a Black Widow race venom or Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 muffler and also upgrade to true duals with an x-pipe. I know removing the resonators will make it sound even more aggressive but I would just hate to take that chance and the drone be really bad.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With my magnaflow and resonator on the truck had a very mild growl. No drone. When I removed the resonator (because i wanted louder) the drone was there but not bad. Definitely was there though.

When i went to a SOLO muffler delete kit and no resonator (@Nick@GotExhaust) the sound inside the truck was actually quieter then when I had the magnaflow with no resonator. All the sound is behind the truck.

I think the muffler being under the cab send the droning sound directly into the cab.

I have a crew cab and I believe my muffler (Flowmaster Super 44) is located under the bed.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a crew cab and I believe my muffler (Flowmaster Super 44) is located under the bed.

I have a crew cab too. You are right but it is close to the cab.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No I don’t have any plans for headers.

So I see you mention X-pipe. stock you have a ypipe, so you plan to make a custom x pipe setup? Be aware that will change sound alot too. What others will mention here will be with a y pipe configuration so results with an x pipe may be drastically different. Y pipe, H pipe, X pipe all have different flow characteristics and will make a noticeably different tone with an aftermarket catback. So what may not drone on their setup may drone with yours or vice versa.

If we can help you source any parts please let us know. Just send me a message and we can discuss parts and pricing

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I see you mention X-pipe. stock you have a ypipe, so you plan to make a custom x pipe setup? Be aware that will change sound alot too. What others will mention here will be with a y pipe configuration so results with an x pipe may be drastically different. Y pipe, H pipe, X pipe all have different flow characteristics and will make a noticeably different tone with an aftermarket catback. So what may not drone on their setup may drone with yours or vice versa.

If we can help you source any parts please let us know. Just send me a message and we can discuss parts and pricing
Thanks Nick. Once you mentioned those things. I actually did a little research and although I'm still a ways off from modifying my exhaust, an H-pipe might actually be a better solution. I'd like to hear your thoughts but according to this video, x-pipes produce a better scavenging effect than an h-pipe but you also lose some of your low end torque in the process.

I've also read that the sound an h-pipe produces is much deeper and throater, whereas an x-pipe is more high pitched and produces that raspy, popping noise.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So you want to do an H pile but are not doing headers?

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you want to do an H pile but are not doing headers?

I'm not planning on doing headers because for one, most people say shorties are useless and with long tubes, I could either break the law and go catless or get high flow cats and then have to buy a tuner so it doesn't throw emissions codes and at the moment, that is not something I want to invest in personally. However, I'm still undecided between the h-pipe and x-pipe setup. That's why I'm trying to gather as much information on the differences between the two to determine what is best for me. From the evidence I've seen, if you install an x-pipe you gain more horsepower than with an h-pipe but on low compression vehicles, you end up losing more low end torque. I'm not entirely sure if the 5.7 hemi is a low or high compression engine, but because I only use my truck for daily driving and not for racing, having that low end torque is much more important than the performance at the higher end of the spectrum.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So your just doing just cat back work then.

In all honesty i will not try to Deter you from what you want to do but.... doing either of those options without headers and a tune you’re going to gain very minimal power if any. Nothing you’ll actually notice. I would not worry power.

“Butt” Dino’s May say different but in my opinion you should just look for the sound you want if you’re not planning on doing anything but modifying behind the cat.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can reduce drone by not driving in full auto and engaging MDS.

Or you can program out MDS with a custom tune. That could be a bit expensive as you'll need 1) an unlocked PCM, 2) a programmer, and, 3) a custom tune.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So your just doing just cat back work then.

In all honesty i will not try to Deter you from what you want to do but.... doing either of those options without headers and a tune you’re going to gain very minimal power if any. Nothing you’ll actually notice. I would not worry power.

“Butt” Dino’s May say different but in my opinion you should just look for the sound you want if you’re not planning on doing anything but modifying behind the cat.

Maybe when I have plenty of money, I might invest in some headers lol. For now, I just don't have the ability to drop close to $2k on a set of long tubes and a custom tune, which will be required to do. The main reason(s) why I want to go with true duals are that it's more free flowing than a single in/dual out setup like I currently have, is significantly less expensive than a catback (a couple hundred bucks at least) and I can choose which muffler I want unlike with a catback system.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can reduce drone by not driving in full auto and engaging MDS.

Or you can program out MDS with a custom tune. That could be a bit expensive as you'll need 1) an unlocked PCM, 2) a programmer, and, 3) a custom tune.
I might be the oddball out here but I don't mind the noise my truck makes when it goes into eco mode. If anything, I actually really like it.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In all honesty if you dont want to mess with the cats and the stock y pipe BEFORE the cats then dont change anything other than the catback. None of the changes you make will make enough of a increase of power to be worth while. Now if you did headers or even replaced the entire y pipe we can talk y vs H vs X. Otherwise it is a waste of money unless you just want to be unique. I would hate to see you spend all that money and not get any real increase. A catback or muffler kit will give you about the same performance and the sound increase. This is coming from a guy that sells parts too LOL

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In all honesty if you dont want to mess with the cats and the stock y pipe BEFORE the cats then dont change anything other than the catback. None of the changes you make will make enough of a increase of power to be worth while. Now if you did headers or even replaced the entire y pipe we can talk y vs H vs X. Otherwise it is a waste of money unless you just want to be unique. I would hate to see you spend all that money and not get any real increase. A catback or muffler kit will give you about the same performance and the sound increase. This is coming from a guy that sells parts too LOL
I think what I'll do, when I have a day off, is get a quote from a muffler shop regarding what I want. I'm still leaning towards true duals because they do give better performance than a single in/dual out system in general because the exhaust gases have two individual pipes to go through for the entire length of the exhaust system. However, if it makes more economic sense, both in terms of money spent and the performance increase gained if any, then I would perhaps just swap out the muffler and replace the factory y-pipe with a better flowing y-pipe from Magnaflow or Totalflow. If, for example, doing a simple muffler swap and upgrading to a better Y-pipe costs $500 OTD and gives me, and I'm just spit balling here, an extra 10 hp but a true dual system with either an h-pipe or x-pipe gives me 15 hp but costs twice as much, I'll go for the first option. However, I am still going to change out the factory y-pipe regardless of what I do. There are two specific mufflers that I'm looking at and the companies that make them do not have catback systems for my truck. Again, those are Black Widow and Spintech. I suppose what you're trying to say, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that because I'm only using my truck as a daily driver, I will likely never actually see the added performance benefits of a true dual system unless I invest in headers, tuner, etc.?

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Luckily I have time to think about all of this and that's why I'm trying to learn as much as I can before making that decision. I just want to be able to spend the money and not have any regrets doing so and not end up thinking to myself, "did I spend too much?" or "If I spent just a little bit more, could I've gotten more performance?". I do truly appreciate your expertise on this by the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam