Rigid vs HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBR73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have rigid industries Dually 2" LED lights in replacement of my factory fog lights. On each side I have a 2" spot on the inside and a 2" flood on the outside. They are bright but I get flashed a lot when driving down the road with them on. Question is if I reinstall my factory fog lights but put an HID conversion kit on them am I still going to blind on coming traffic and how bright will they be in the factory housing? I have 6000k headlights and love em but I've heard installing an hid conversion kit in a reflector housing scatters the light and blinds the hell out of people. Does this hold true for fog lights as well?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 86

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it does, you'll still have the light scatter and the light spread more than likely won't be as good as your Rigids. I've been struggling with this as well find a setup for my fogs, I think the only option for this is either projector fog lights or the SAE approved Rigid fog lights.

jabartram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have 55 watt hids in my low/highs and fogs i only got flashed when the fog on my drivers side was pointing all the way up due to the adjuster screw falling off. when they are adjusted correctly they are fantastic. and no they dont scatter light like crazy, output comparison to led is much better. my lows have a very clean output with hids.

if you are getting flashed with your rigids, odds are they adjusted to high.

Dirtbikekid1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500 Laramie Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have HIDs in my fogs/lows and I think I have only ever gotten flashed once. Just before you put the hids in mark where the cut off is on a garage door for the halogens then when you put the hids in you have a mark to adjust to. I barley got any scatter with my 2015 fog lights, the beam almost looks identical to the the halogen beam when pointed on a white garage door.

Halogen fog and hid lows
5dd8dd472f035edff500925bbfcd6c09.jpg

This pic my truck was closer to the door but you can see the beam looks really close to the original halogens a9ac7f398637697abe8d26437158cf35.jpg

Last edited:

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
When they flash me...I then hit em with the high beams even worse.

OP
OP
R

RBR73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 55 watt hids in my low/highs and fogs i only got flashed when the fog on my drivers side was pointing all the way up due to the adjuster screw falling off. when they are adjusted correctly they are fantastic. and no they dont scatter light like crazy, output comparison to led is much better. my lows have a very clean output with hids.

if you are getting flashed with your rigids, odds are they adjusted to high.

I'm getting flashed I think because the outside rigids are spot pattern. Even adjusted as low as I can aim then they are still blinding when I'm standing 30 feet away looking at them. Hell, when I go under a bridge or over pass I still light the ceiling of the overpass.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've ran 55w Hids in my fogs coming up on a year now. Haven't been flashed.

Now..before I did my retro in my heads and just had the Hids in there I would get flashed constantly.

Scatter was horrible.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had highs lows and fogs for a year and a half and with AK being dark for so long in the winter you really need em. I've been flashed. Don't know if it's for my fogs or not. The fog lights do kind of scatter but the light output is so intense it doesn't really matter. Some people just see HID's and flash their lights though. If your lights are brighter than HID's right now I'd leave em in. Not to be a **** to other drivers but it's a light eat light world out there.

OP
OP
R

RBR73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had highs lows and fogs for a year and a half and with AK being dark for so long in the winter you really need em. I've been flashed. Don't know if it's for my fogs or not. The fog lights do kind of scatter but the light output is so intense it doesn't really matter. Some people just see HID's and flash their lights though. If your lights are brighter than HID's right now I'd leave em in. Not to be a **** to other drivers but it's a light eat light world out there.

I have 6000k hid low beams and when I turn on my rigids they def over power my hid's. Well, the spots do. I can def see their lights spread over the hid's. The floods are just as bright at the spots but of course not as a concintrated a beam. Maybe I'll just switch em off when I see on coming traffic.

Funny thing is, I've had the rigids in now for 6 months. I ran them all the time with my halogen headlights and didn't get flashed. Wasn't until after I installed my HID's that I started getting flashed. BUT if I run just my HID's without the rigids I do not get flashed. So it's not because of my HID's I'm now getting flashed. Maybe people just see all that light coming towards them and freak out or whatever. People would totally freak out if I ran my HID's, rigids AND my 20" rigid light bar I have mounted on my bull bar at the same time. Running all 3 at once I think I have successfully turned night into day. Lol

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Running all 3 at once I think I have successfully turned night into day. Lol

Haha yeah I bet. I do know my projector lows don't go above a cars trunk so for me it would either have to be the fogs or just a reaction from oncoming traffic. And I have airbags for when I tow to keep my truck level.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya it was just probably people freakin out seein a bunch of bright ass lights comin at'em lol

Barcelo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 speed with mds
Op, have you looked into getting hid bulbs that are capped? It helped with my hid dogs in my f150. Retro solutions has a capping option that puts a little cap at the end of the bulb. I think it was 15 bucks extra. I never ever got flashed.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have the rigid dual power driving light D2's. The low power comes on with the factory fog light switch, and the high power side is triggered by my high beams. Never been flashed. Low side of Rigids is similar to OEM fogs but with a little more spread. High side is like a normal Rigid D2 Driving light, very bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the rigid dual power driving light D2's. The low power comes on with the factory fog light switch, and the high power side is triggered by my high beams. Never been flashed. Low side of Rigids is similar to OEM fogs but with a little more spread. High side is like a normal Rigid D2 Driving light, very bright.

Those dual power D2's are pretty sweet. Where did you buy yours?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
At a local mom and pop. They beat the rigid web price by 25-30% most times.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At a local mom and pop. They beat the rigid web price by 25-30% most times.

Have a name? I live in Wasilla as well haha.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh. Sorry. Go to Alaska Safety.

I'll have to check it out sometime. Thanks.

Have you gotten some of your lights there Jason?